Random 45-70 1895 questions.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

First, thank you for indulging me (big bore newbie) with my many questions. This forum has been HUGELY helpful to me. Thank you again.

1) Guide Guns: Ported or unported? Is one more desireable than the other? What is a fair price for the ported version?

2)Jackets or Cast Boolits; My 1895 seems to like 350 gr Jacketed bullets. Would it be likely to prefer 350 gr Lead bullets too?

3) Powder: Is there a good powder for 45-70 that shoots pretty clean? I'm using AA 5744 and there are quite a number of charred granuals that work their way into the chamber when I lever the shell out of the gun. The next case is sometimes indented with these loose grains.
    "The secret to life is to be alive. To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: Random 45-70 1895 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Dog
    First, thank you for indulging me (big bore newbie) with my many questions. This forum has been HUGELY helpful to me. Thank you again.

1) Guide Guns: Ported or unported? Is one more desireable than the other? What is a fair price for the ported version?

2)Jackets or Cast Boolits; My 1895 seems to like 350 gr Jacketed bullets. Would it be likely to prefer 350 gr Lead bullets too?

3) Powder: Is there a good powder for 45-70 that shoots pretty clean? I'm using AA 5744 and there are quite a number of charred granuals that work their way into the chamber when I lever the shell out of the gun. The next case is sometimes indented with these loose grains.
    1-I have the ported and like it but most prefer the un-ported.
    2-I shoot 300 and 350 grain jacketed and 420 and 550 cast bullets in mine and they all shoot fine.
    3-Reloder 7 is my choice for the 45-70.More velocity per pressure with this powder.I also have H-4198 and H-322.I have had no problem with any of the powders I listed.

Good luck...Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Random 45-70 1895 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Dog

Hey WetDog,

1. My 1895S shoots both, lead and jacket very well. I shot remington 300 and 405s as well as my own 340 gr from Lee's mold with gaschecks.

2. In the past 7 months I used only IMR brand. 4198 and 3031 for my 1895. Both leave no unburnt powder at all. Very clean.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Mad
    Check out my other home:
    http://www.levergunlovers.com/
    -------------
    Team "TXPETE" - number 2.5
    Team "Real Toys for Real Boys" - number 69
    Team "444 Marlin" - number 56
    Official Team 35 - number 69

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

The only handloads I've used so far are 405 hardcast and 34 to 38 grains of H4198 in various cases, CCI primer and a very firm Lee Factory Crimp. The 36 grain load cronied at a little less than 1600fps out of the 26" Cowboy BBL. Does not seem to lead the bore. Very clean burning with zero powder unburned. In my 1895GS, ported and wish it was not, I'm using factory Federal 300s. Very good ammo, but I'm going to work up a 300gr Nosler load for hunting this fall; if I can not find a sweet spot with that, I'll have no qualms about using the Federals as it's very good ammo and sledge hammered a nice blacktail for me last fall: Straight to the ground and did not move one inch forward, perect mushroom after traveling 4 foot the length of the animal and while I didn't weigh the bullet, most of it looked to still be there. What more could you ask of a deer bullet?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have never fired a ported Marlin enough to tell you how much difference there is IMO so it is hard to answer #1. I can tell you I'm glad I was not able to afford the purchase of and 1895 GG when they first came out, or even when they first came out in the stainless version. The stainless version unported is close to being perfect when it comes to what I was looking for in a non-hunting, bear carry gun. I value my hearing - what is left of it anyway- too much to want to shoot ported guns. Of course, I have no really heavy recoilers, nothing worse than 375 H&H or 340 Weatherby so recoil is manageable in all.

I would bet your 45-70 will also like 300 and 400 jacketed with the right loads, and cast, of the right size and velocity, will fall right in as well I'm sure. You may find certain loads which work well with a certain weight jacketed bullets won't necessarily work ideally with the same weight cast.

Many powders burns clean in the 45-70 as long as they are of a burn rate and pressure level which allows a good burn. You mention 5744 as leaving remnants and that has been my experience with it as well. You will find folks like Mike Venturino who rave about it however for the way it shoots in the 45-70 - and he probably has more experience with 45-70s and similar cartridges than quite a few of us put together. My thinking on unburned powder goes like this: if it doesn't get in my way functionally or accuracy-wise I don't care what happens to those grains. (If I really like what the powder does even if it leaves a lot of dirt around, I'll use it IOW.) I have seen plenty of "chunks" when using 5744, Varget, and Hercules Rl 7. Several of the Accurate powders have been real blasters in terms of excess noise in the 45-70 and other cartridges and I have not bought more of them. (The stuff I was using was sourced from all parts of the world at the time I tried them - they may be different now.) I tend to shoot quite a bit of IMR 4198 and 4895 as well as H322 in my 45-70s. They all burn well.
    45-70, 350 NorthFork 45-70, 350 Speer 30 WCF, 170 Core-Lokt

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links