This isn't just about the "police sniper rifle" in .308, it's my experience with Savage rifles over the years.

However, back to my .308.

I bought my Savage 10 in 2012. It's the older style with the round bolt knob, as opposed to the new ones that have the cylinder-shaped one.

Before yesterday, furthest I'd ever been with it was 300 yards.

I went out to 820 yards yesterday. Once I got my scope dialed in, I went 3 for 3 on a 12" target. Not stellar by National Match or F-Class, but that's not my point. Weather conditions were HOT, about 94º with a gentle quartering away breeze of maybe 2 kts, so my bullets were sailing on me a bit. All of my misses past 400 yds were high.

I have no military training, and this is an off-the-shelf rifle, for which I paid a little over $800 new when I bought it 7 years ago.

The only after-market furniture on my rifle is a cheek rest from Bradley. This is a terrifically accurate rifle right out of the box.

Glass is a Weaver 3.5-15x50 Tactical, MOA (as opposed to milirad, which is an option for that scope). I paid about $850 for that scope.

If you want a .308W setup for under 2K all in, you can't do better. In fact, I'm not sure you can do any better for less than $5K all in. Maybe just as good, but not any better. If I ever get a new setup, it'll be an AR-platform, like KAC SR-25 or something along those lines. The only thing that would get me that I don't already have is firepower.

Not sure what Weaver has been doing since I bought my scope, I assume they're about the same, if not better.

We ran out of time yesterday, otherwise I was headed for the 1000 yard target.

Anybody in the market for a "sniper" rifle in prep for the Zombie Apocalypse, this is the one I recommend, especially if you reload.