Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By SoftPoint
  • 3 Post By SoftPoint
  • 2 Post By cobirdhunter

Thread: Remington 783 Compact w/scope package. .308 win

Banned
    Member #

Remington 783 Compact w/scope package. .308 win

Yesterday took my new rifle out to the range. It's a 783 Compact in .308 with scope package. No pics on this round, but I'll be making more trips out that I can take cell phone pics. Ammo was the Federal Power shok 180 grain soft point.

First impressions: Upon shooting I immediately noticed that this rifle is much more jumpy on the recoil then other full sized .308's that I've shot. Probably because of the shorter barrel. Also the supplied scope has very short eye relief. I'm talking like 2.5 inches. With that and the extra jump on recoil, I'm now sporting a nice gash on the bridge of my nose!!! It's a no-name scope, but through some investigation I found out it's a "Hunan" scope. This Chinese company also makes the Bushnell Custom series of scopes which is an exclusive for Gander Mountain and is identical to it right down to the turret dials.

Accuracy: well the rifle really shines in this area. I was getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards with this ammo, rifle, scope combination. This is even with the flinching from being nailed by the scope. I would say it's exceptional accuracy. The scope, despite it's short comings is very accurate. Positive click adjustments that are very true to the 1/4" per click adjustments. The short eye relief is a major downfall. This scope needed to be replaced. I have to place my head so far back to avoid getting nailed upon firing, that I don't get a full sight picture. Score A+

Action: Exceptionally smooth. No FTF's, FTE's, or FTL's. Score A+

Scope: Good Clarity, Good accurate adjustments, Very poor eye relief. See above comments. Score: D+

Handling: Handles and points exceptionally well. Since I am a former lever action carbine guy, who loves easy to handle .30-30's in the timber. This compact version fulfills my need for this. Score: A

Barrel: The "Contour"barrel is in between the thin ones normally supplied with economy rifles and a bull barrel and is closer to a bull barrel. It never really heated up after repeated firing but with pauses every 3 shots to run a brush through it for break in. It provided exceptional accuracy. A constant 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Score: A+

Overall: IMHO, the best of the economy grade rifles out there, and in the group with the best rifles I've ever shot. For $250, minus $50 Rebate, for a grand total of $200 plus tax = great deal. Score: A+
    Last edited by SoftPoint; 11-29-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Folks,
    I forgot to mention the Trigger: It is a very crisp and perfectly set trigger for hunting. No creep, and set from the factory at 3 to 3.5lbs. Grade: A+
    Model700, Blaine and westmoore like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I bought a 783 in .223 two weeks ago and love it. very accurate, with a better scope, and overall just a nice shooting rifle.
    Blaine and westmoore like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Where did you find it for $250?
    That was a fantastic deal.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links