Froglube CLP review.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mikewood

Thread: Froglube CLP review.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Froglube CLP review.

I have heard some good things about a gun cleaning product called Froglube and wanted to share my experience. You can find it at http://www.froglube.com but I got mine at a gun show. In a few words I can say it works extremely well and you should try to evaluate it yourself.

Froglube is a CLP so it cleans, lubricates and protects. As for the cleaning part I cleaned a 1911 that has had about 500- rounds of ball ammo shot thru it and I was able to scrub the barrel spotlessly clean just buy doing the following. Pouring some FL on a bronze brush, making 20 passes and using a jag and two dry patches, this was repeated 3 times before the patches came clean. I consider this minimal barrel cleaning and have had to do much more extensive cleaning with products like Break Free CLP and Hoppies. The gun was then broken down completely and scrubbed with nylon and a copper brush. A quick pass was all that was required to “melt” any caked on fouling or burnt powder. I wiped the parts after scrubbing with paper towel and they wiped clean with the dirt trapped on the paper and an oily film was left on the gun. When I was done cleaning the brass cleaning rod and bushes were all shiny and clean like the oxidation had been removed from the rods and bristles. I tried to then remove the oily film so I could reapply “fresh clean FL but I had to use a product like MEK or acetone to degrease the parts. I realized this was totally unnecessary and the FL was doing its job and I was just wasting product. Per the instructions I heated up the parts with a heat gun and painted them with FL and I can report it does impregnate the metal with an oily finish that while you can wipe “dry” but it feels like everything is still slick and “running on roller bearings”. During cleanup I tried to use hot water to blast it out of a ceramic bowl but the oiliness remained even after several minutes. Hunters who will see pouring rain and saltwater spray will find it superb.

I always find something negative to say about any review and there are a few things that stick out with FL. Folks describe the smell as “pine scented”. I think it smells more like someone tried to clean a gun with a tube of Bengay. It dissipates so hunters that are scent mined might want to clean a day or two before the big hunt. Also don’t get it around your eyes, nose or other sensitive parts. Just like Bengay you will know if you do. I am not saying you have to wear safety glasses but just don’t scratch your nose while you clean your gun. Also good or bad, FL is a product that is hard to “wipe away”. Like axel grease, never seize or similar products you need to wash up with an emulsion of dawn or gojo twice to get your hands clean.

The label says “it really works”. I agree it does and I suspect it’s going to replace my Breakfree CLP in every range and cleaning bag.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mikewood; 12-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the review. I might just have to try it.
    If you aim at nothing, you will surely hit it.
    Team 30-30 #69

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    It's my go to CLP now also

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I am doing a multi day froglube review. This is a piece of high carbon steel about 4" by 1/4" thick that has been treated to determine how resistant froglube is to rust. I have sections reading left to right that are untreated, then a section heated with a heat gun and FL wiped on, heated and FL and heated then wiped off. Then a section of break free CLP was wiped on and the "excess" wiped off. Then a layer of FL was wiped on "cold" and wiped off. Then another control section. The steel was layer for a period of ten seconds in a trough of rainwater and then set at a 45 degree angle and air dry. Temp is about 60F and humidity is near 100%
    Zero hour.
    image.jpg
    +6 hours. Rust is starting to form. On the untreated "control" sections.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Krisr and bassetman1974 like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Man I love these tests and Thanks Mikewood.
    #713 Team 30/30
    #881 Team 45/70
    #418 Team 35

Deadeye
    Member #
    Finally got home (after 70 straight days of being on the road), and able to use the sample I received. Dragged my old handcuffs out. Pretty nasty after all these years of layin' 'round (been out of that game for about 20 yrs.). A shot of some gun scrubber after a wipe down, a blast of compressed air, and into the oven to heat 'em up.

Squirted some of the liquid onto/into 'em while hot and began rubbing it in. Q-Tip for the smaller areas. The more I rubbed 'em, the dirtier my hands got... and I cleaned 'em pretty good before hand.

Clean up... Joy dish soap didn't want to cut it from my hands at first application... the oily/waxy feel persisted for a bit. But, my hands cleaned easily... as did beneath my nails.

The hinges feel smoother, and rust color is floating out as I spin the cuff on its hinge (even on the stainless pair)... the gunk is definitely suspended and floating out. Wipes up clean. The surface feels slick, but not greasy after wiping them down. And, smells like wintergreen mint. The towel is coming up dirty too when wiping the cooled residue off

I like it... gonna try it out on a weapon next. Looks like I may be ordering some up.

I especially like that it's supposed to work well with Black Powder firearms. The petroleum based oils gunk/cake up with the powder fouling and can seize up a revolver... so, vegetable oils are generally used to lube these guns when using them. The corrosion resistence and metal protection properties touted are encouraging as well. I've never liked the need to use petroleum based oils for lube/protection during storage, then having to clean them before use and lube 'em with veg based. I'm liking the whole "one product" does all approach.

First impressions... I like the stuff.
    Team Glenfield 25 # 1
    Team .45-70 # 960
    Team 60 # ----
    Team Old Phart # 169

Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.- Ben Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Obama... do NOT go to Arizona, they require proof of citizenship.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    thanks for the review of frog lube. I will certainly look into trying this. when I go tot he farm to shoot, I shoot in the rain, snow, wind, sun. so this may help me preserve and protect when I am in the rain/snow conditions. I try not to let the weather dictate my shooting times.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links