Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Rooterpigs 230 RP bullet. Test complete!!!

925 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Flat Top 
#1 ·
Up to this point in time I have been testing the 230 RP bullet in Rem cases, with bullet BHN's at 20-21. For the last test I wanted to use my 75/25 water quenched expanding alloy and forum member Grumpas 308-35 Rem cases. As I have stated in other posts, although Grumpas cases have 2 grains less powder capacity than the OEM Remington cases, they are super tough...strong, and negate all of the issues that are experienced with the thin case wall OEM Rem 35 cases. Grumpas cases have proven themselves in the SG 35 Modification, and even though the case capacity is less, I can still easily make the 3000+ ft lb load minimum standard of the SG 35 modification with any bullet weight.

That being said: The SG 35 was designed around the Safari 260 grain bullet. Later the Safari 310 grain bullet was added to the mix. Both perform very well and in my rifle shoot one hole groups with loads that produce a minimum of 3000+ ft lbs. I have shot shorter/lighter bullets and have easily achieved velocities exceeding 2600 fps, but I needed an ideal bullet weight/length in a lighter bullet to utilize as much of the 2.700 COL that the SG 35 modification offered....if found, that bullet would be a perfect light bullet for the modification, but, it would also have to offer enough weight to make the 3000 ft lb minimum of the modification.............along came the 230 RP.

The last test at the range did not offer ideal conditions. The test temperature was 18 degrees and I had winds across the range at 15-20 mph, but as I worked up in powder charge I could see a good group pattern starting to emerge. The 230 RP, even under the not so suitable conditions managed to shoot a .185 or so three shot group with just a tad of horizontal stringing (crosswind), and virtually no vertical stringing.

The bullet proved very accurate, and it made the necessary velocity at the temperature that I was shooting in to offer the 3000+ ft lb minimum at my normal hunting season temperature parameter! The real clincher here is that I had a good ways to go before I would reach the maximum charge available to me with this bullet in the SG 35!

The 230 RP has proven itself to be very accurate (hard cast or expanding alloy) in the SG 35 Modified Marlin XLR, and has easily met the performance criteria for the modified rifle.

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#2 ·
The bullet is too short to utilize the full 2.700 COL of the modification. The 230 RP COL is 2.570...but, in the SG 35 any COL from factory/OEM up to the maximum of 2.700 (with the longer/heavier bullets) will shoot very well in the modified rifle.....as you can see from the group I shot yesterday. In the photo you can see that the bullet is supported by 2/3 of the neck, which is more than sufficient, and, the bullet is crimped just ahead of the lube groove.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.