• 3 Post By lipripper
  • 2 Post By rooterpig
  • 5 Post By lipripper
  • 1 Post By lipripper

Thread: Safari Grade hunting season

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Safari Grade hunting season

Just as an FYI to anyone interested in the SG mod, this past hunting season I got lazy and ended up reverting back to factory ammo for hunting season as I had no time to sight in my reloads. The factory ammo ( both Hornady LE and Rem CorLokt) functioned as it did before the SG mod, actually it cycled better. I had no misfires or cycling problems and the rifle held it's zero with all the diff brands of ammo that I used
    Now time for me to get busy with my press and at the range so come next year I'll be sliding 310gn lead thru the barrel!
    always remembered,KGW.thanks for the good times
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM
    Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #`138

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Thanks lipripper! You just bought up one of the BIG pluses owning a Safari Grade modified rifle...........the ability to use standard or OEM factory ammunition, or, factory length reloads. Unlike a wildcat chambering, where the shooter is stuck with the wildcat only, the SG will shoot anything offered in the original cartridge, yet allow for BIG power by utilizing the SG modification option....and, accuracy and function with either/or remains the same.

I have built a number of wildcats over the years, and making cartridges, and having enough of those cartridges on hand is a task. Also, one time I forgot to bring my cartridge box for a wildcat I was hunting with (I was having a "senior moment" at a young age). One of the fellas at our camp brought a spare rifle and allowed me to use it (I was in luck that day). If I would have had my SG 35, I could have gone down to the local gun shop, Wally World, or hardware store, and bought a box of factory 35 Rem, and would have been good to go!

The SG modification is easy to work with because we are using the OEM case and loading components for the 35 Rem cartridge. If an ammunition or reloading component availability problem arises, or you just dont have the time to test, load up, or whatever, the lack of "special" wildcat ammunition wont slow you down!

I am glad you posted this!!! Another one of the finer points offered by an SG modified rifle!

So, when FT says it will still shoot OEM ammuntion, you can take liprippers word on that....and mine too!
    dpe.ahoy, Sweetwater and Travlin like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That's a big plus. Almost a necessity. What avg. group size did you get with the stock ammo?
    dpe.ahoy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rooterpig View Post
    That's a big plus. Almost a necessity. What avg. group size did you get with the stock ammo?
    In "my" rifle, with reloads and jacketed bullets (OEM COL/OEM power) I could shoot one hole groups on the best of days (superb shooting conditions)....out of the box. After I modified the rifle to SG, those same loads would shoot one hole groups. Either way, the rifle would hold under an inch on the worst of days, and under the worst of conditions. After the modification the SG loads would also shoot one hole groups. Its really more about the barrel and the loads than it is the modification itself...........in other words, the modification changes little if any of the accuracy that a rifle has...or has not! I think the chamber work that I do improves it a bit, but, it will not make a bad barrel good. Of course the barrel can be lapped, sized, and polished, and that in many (not all) cases improves accuracy and reduces fouling.

In liprippers case, I believe his SG reloads were made up for hunting power and not extreme benchrest accuracy, but you would have to get him to post with his results. From what I remember about his rifle during the range testing period, after it was modified to SG, it showed signs of being a very accurate barrel.
    Travlin, dpe.ahoy, kobeinu and 2 others like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks FT.
    Flat Top and dpe.ahoy like this.

Member #
    the SG35 is as accurate after the mod as it was before the mod

As FT noted, I am shooting for minute of deer more so than benchrest shooting

I've got a 1x3 variable Weaver scope on it, and with my limited amount of range time before hunting season snuck up on me, if i could keep it in a pie plate, I was ready for the woods!
    From 75yds, the first 3 were always within a baseball size group, with not any more of a rest than a fork in a tree
    As the barrel heated up (my XLR SG35 has a shortened barrel, 18.5") I undoubtadly would end up with a flyer, and my gun before it became an SG, was the same way.
    Now that winter has set in and the construction work is hampered by the weather, I'll have more time on my hands to slow down and get some sandbag rest shooting in
    I know FT will tell me to make sure I hold the forearm in the palm of my hand rather than letting it rest on sandbags, and I'll give it a whirl, as I've never been a one hole shooter with anything other than a bolt action

Stay tuned and I'll post some chrono speeds and accuracy results with factory ammo next weekend
    Thanks for the interest, as it gives me motivation to get out back and throw some lead

Y'all have a good week
    lipripper
    dpe.ahoy, Flat Top and Sweetwater like this.
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Looking forward to your results. Will you please post a pic of the sg. 18.5 inches sounds about right. Thanks Lipripper.
    Flat Top and dpe.ahoy like this.

Member #
    pics of shortenedXLR before and after SG mod
    i had to change the lever for FT to get it right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks lipripper. Is that the original mag tube?

Member #
    I believe so
    I bought it from a forum member a couple years ago and I believe it was shortened along with the barrel
    Id have to go back in my posts to see if its still around(the original for sale post that described all the work done)
    Other than the way i bought it,FlatTop is the only one thats had his hands on it
    Seems like I remember the spring being a touch to long and having to trim it, but thats been a few minutes ago
    rooterpig likes this.
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads