New!!! A very special SG 35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: New!!! A very special SG 35

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Jake View Post
    Can't wait to see the results! Great job once again Flat Top
    Hey Jake; The testing for each rifle that I build consists only of running increasing loads up to a proof of performance load for each individual rifle. Each SG 35 MUST produce the required minimum in ft lbs with all bullet weights that are used in the modification, which right now is 260 and 310 grain bullets. (I am also going to be testing a new 230 grain bullet that forum member rooterpig has developed, and, it has shown great promise in previous tests). I have also shot 200 and 225 grain bullets that meet the required ft lb proof of performance.

The reason I dont do load/accuracy development for each rifle, is that the customers loading techniques, equipment, powder and primer lots, bullet choices, etc, will not be exactly what I would have on hand, so, I inform the customer of my test results so they can have a realistic guideline to follow when they start load workup with the rifle.....just like a reloading manual does for OEM cartridges....although a bit more specific.

The next step is to shoot the rifle with a load that I have found to be very consistent in the SG 35's I have built. What I am looking for without going into detailed accuracy load development, is consistency of group. The ammunition is so perfect, and uniform from shot to shot, that if there is an issue with the barrel, forearm/mag tube assembly, etc, it will show up in the group pattern...in other words if I get a nice uniform group, regardless of groups size, and taking in consideration the conditions, sighting equipment, distance shot, (my old eyes) etc, then the barrel will shoot smaller consistent groups with fine tuning of the loads by the customer.

I also think it is important that the customer take ownership of load development for their firearms. It allows them to refine loading technique, and, they can start at reduced midrange loads to get a feel for the rifle, or tailor a load to meet a specific need (hunting whitetail does not require the minimum requirement with these heavy weight bullets). The customer really becomes part of the process when he is allowed to partake in the process.

Anyway, once I am totally secure in the fact that everything is safe and ready to go, then and only then will I release the rifle for use. Most times this will be achieved first time out, and at other times, although few, adjustments need to be made to make the rifle perfect! I am looking forward to putting this rifle through its paces, and hopefully tomorrow is the day.
    Last edited by Flat Top; 04-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    GrumpyBear and rooterpig like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Looking like you might shoot this week FT?
    GrumpyBear and Flat Top like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Well I just re/read and saw that you are trying to shoot this week.
    GrumpyBear and Flat Top like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds!!!
    rooterpig and GrumpyBear like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    FT......Do you prefer Micro Groove or Ballard rifling for your project guns?

I have only shot cast bullets out of hand guns except for my 45-70 and have never put one into a big game critter as almost all of my shots are lung shots and I prefer an expanding bullet.
    Flat Top likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak Guy View Post
    FT......Do you prefer Micro Groove or Ballard rifling for your project guns?

I have only shot cast bullets out of hand guns except for my 45-70 and have never put one into a big game critter as almost all of my shots are lung shots and I prefer an expanding bullet.
    Either/ or on the rifling....in the 35's I really dont pay much attention to that.....more concerned with bore condition. For the 444 I like the 1-20 Ballard simply because it allows me to shoot heavier weight bullet (400 to 455 grain....so far) than the 1-38 Microgroove (350 grain is about tops...maybe a bit more).

Cast bullets will expand!!! You can make them do that!!!! Here is a photo of my 50/50 water quenched alloy that was shot into the jugs at 10 yards. I used my Safari 310 grain bullet in my SG 35. The bullet penetrated 9 or10 jugs (if memory serves me)....that is more than 6 ft or so of penetration and as you can see it mushroomed very well. I have a post on here somewhere that gives the results. Depending on the alloy and hardness, a cast bullet can be a near solid, or an expanding bullet. Just depends on your alloy and heat treating methods. I like the expanding alloy for deer...medium thin skinned game. For the tough/large thick skinned game a tough, hard alloy would be preferred....or if I wanted a bit of expansion I would use my 75/25 water quenched alloy. The sky is the limit with cast bullets...they can be whatever you want them to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flat Top; 04-19-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    rooterpig likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links