• 1 Post By draselok
  • 4 Post By Tar_Heel 336
  • 1 Post By Flat Top
  • 3 Post By Flat Top

Thread: SG owners out there?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

SG owners out there?

Myself and FlatTop are the only two out there that I know of to have been lucky enough to have this mod done to our rifles. Rooterpig I know has been instrumental in the development of cast boolits for this mod, and may very well be fortunate enuff to have his 35 hot rodded as well........
    I'm sure FlatTop could answer this for me, but he's probably cooking up some new ideas to keep us lusting after,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    So in the name of sharing loading and casting info , are there any more SG35 owners out there?

I'll start with mine
    Originally began it's life as an OEM 35XLR, which was shortened to 18.5" before I picked it up.
    Very handy in the woods and the shorter barrel didn't affect velocities and consequent trajectories at the distances I'm accustomed to hunting in.

Than FlatTop got his hands on it !!!

Talk about a brush cannon

I've used H335 almost exclusively in my handloads for this, with 44.4 gn producing the most accurate load so far, at 2100fps with the 260SG mold from Accurate.
    Factory 200gn rounds produce 1850fps with this rifle after the mod, for comparison.
    Factory rounds and handloads both cycle and shoot just dandy after the SG mod was done.

So, any other SG owners out there? If so, what has been your "go to" load for hunting?
    I've got some data using the Hornady 250 RN ( although the "round" nose is a little too pointy for me to comfortably load the mag tube with more than one in chamber/one in tube). Coming across a plethora of these jacketed bullets was what led me to contact FlatTop in the first place, who reminded me the round nose wasn't quite flat enuff for tubular mags.
    Hopefully those that have had this done will chime in, as hunting season will sneak up on us before we can put our fishing poles away, and we can share our results to help wreak havoc on the whitetail and swine populations coast to coast
    always remembered,KGW.thanks for the good times
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM
    Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #`138

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Fear not lipripper, I am working on another 35 Rem as we speak! This will be an SG 35 (of course) with my patented free floating barrel and permanently mounted forearm, mag tube, etc...........so, in essence it will be much like a bolt action rifle (my personal SG 35 has been set up this same way and shoots like a laser.....the modification is tough as nails!).

As you well know, my goal is to build powerful Marlin lever guns....hunting rifles, so, this SG 35 will be nothing fancy....just a powerful "work rifle".... powerful, accurate, and suitable for just about any game animal anywhere.

More on this rifle to come!

After the build I will put this one up for sale, and maybe we will have some company to share load data and hunting experiences with.
    Last edited by Flat Top; 04-21-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Certified Gunnut
    Formerly Crystal Coast of NC, Now in Sandhills of NC
    Member #
    I had an SG once.... it was made by Gibson though, but it rocked!!
    Flat Top, rlm1, rooterpig and 1 others like this.

“Conservatives want to alter their lifestyles to meet reality. Leftists want to alter reality to meet their lifestyles” - Frank Turek, Cross Examine Radio Show
    Reading or Listening for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better Conversation - Tar_Heel 336
    "The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its Limits" - Albert Einstein
    ”Yup, but I was on a rant” 49FMarlin... "I hear ya, Brother - Been There, Done That" - Tar_Heel

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

draselok
    Pictures Please.
    Flat Top likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Formerly Crystal Coast of NC, Now in Sandhills of NC
    Member #
    Not mine:
    SG.jpg

“Conservatives want to alter their lifestyles to meet reality. Leftists want to alter reality to meet their lifestyles” - Frank Turek, Cross Examine Radio Show
    Reading or Listening for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better Conversation - Tar_Heel 336
    "The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its Limits" - Albert Einstein
    ”Yup, but I was on a rant” 49FMarlin... "I hear ya, Brother - Been There, Done That" - Tar_Heel

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by draselok View Post
    Pictures Please.
    Photos when rifle is complete.
    dpe.ahoy likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Heel 336 View Post
    I had an SG once.... it was made by Gibson though, but it rocked!!
    Gibson L-88, Strat, Les Paul, and now a thin bodied Ovation with Skip Goez neck.........only problem is carpal tunnel and arthritis have taken their toll, and playing guitar for me is history, but, what the heck...I can still build guns, so not all is lost!!!!
    Marlinjunkie, dpe.ahoy and rlm1 like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links