Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Its the small things that count!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Flat Top 
#1 ·
I have been working with the SG 35 trying to find an accurate load for the Safari 310 grain bullet at 2150 fps (3000+ ft lbs).

First I worked up to the tightest group that I could shoot using a light crimp. Once I had that done, I started increasing the crimp until I shot the group on the right. That was as tight a group as I could get with the heaviest crimp that I could apply to the case neck. Because that group showed vertical stringing (which indicates a need for more or less powder to tighten up the group), I then came up in one tenth grain increments to complete the process.

The group in the middle showed a bit of vertical (one tenth of a grain increase over the group on the right) which told me that I was heading in the right direction!

The group on the left was the product of increasing the powder charge by another one tenth of a grain. That group measures .060.

The group was shot at 25 yards with a 2.5 X scope, which is actually an "optical sight" because magnification is minimal at best.

This group would compute at MOA to a .240 group at 100 yards (a one hole group), and with a high power scope under ideal conditions would probably hold around the half inch mark or better.

I know that with a 2.5 X scope that I could not shoot that group at 100 yards...the cross hairs cover two inches at that distance, but, I darn well know that if I get a deer in my sights at that distance, that my rifle has the accuracy capability to get the job done if I do my part.

Many shooters think that one hole groups are not obtainable by any rifle other than a heavy benchrest rifle, but, this proves that if the correct process is followed...its the small things that count.... even a Marlin lever action can shoot the one holers!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.