Safari Grade 35 drops em dead! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Safari Grade 35 drops em dead!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Grumpa; Just starting to use the cases...did the initial fire forming and will shoot them one more time to get a nice sharp shoulder, then I will start load development for the SG 35. I have no doubt that they will work, of course, but I need to get SG velocities that can produce 3000+ ft lbs from your cases. I know from working with my 35 REM-Whelen cases that I can get the necessary 2300+ fps with my 260 grain bullets and the 2 grain less difference in powder capacity, so I really have no doubt about getting an easy 2150 for the 310 grain bullet, because your cases are also 2 grains less in powder capacity. What I like best about your cases is that they are very well made, will be strong, and last much longer compared to the OEM 35 REM cases, are very reasonable in cost, and it saves me a whole lot of time and effort to do other testing. Ya just cant beat that!!!!!

Back in the day, I used to make cases from scratch...virgin brass, and that is the way we developed our wildcats. In a perfect situation we could modify existing brass as you do, but, either way it is a lot of work and requires proper tools, experience, and effort to make it a worth while endeavor. I am glad, as everybody else here should be that there is somebody out there like you who does this kind of thing, and does such a good job of doing it.

I like to give credit where credit is due, and Tom at Accurate Molds (The Official Bullets Molds of the SG 35), and you (The official Cartridge Case of the SG 35) have made this modification much better than I ever thought it could be. Thanks again!!! FT
    rooterpig likes this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Believe me when I tell you, once my mind starts working the gears it's hard for me to stop. I came up with a way to do the 5.45x39 case from 30-30 brass, and yes I'm bragging since not a single person on the planet does those. They make the throw away brass and none make the reloadable brass for that. I wont make those available since just the prototypes take longer to do than the 35Rem.

I have to admire folks like you (Flat Top) coming up with ideas back when things just aren't as easy to get in the way of machines and brass. To me it took a lot of effort back then to make things work. Compound that with the fact folks had to work for a living and find the time to pursue there own interests, which....doesn't leave much time left for family.
    Flat Top and superx2 like this.

Sooth Sayer #1 Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrbow View Post
    The flattop mods on the Marlins are very, impressive, I fear nothing that walks the Earth with the 444AA. All I need now is to get something very big in front of mine, and Hammer it!
    Starrbow"
    You fear nothing walking the earth,
    with nothing but a pocket comb.
    lol
    Everybody should know how I feel about the 35.
    And the walls in two homes are lined with reminders.
    But Flat Top has taken it to another level.
    And made it meaner..
    If only ole Capt Ahab had of had one.
    He'd been dipping Moby in tarter sauce,
    instead of sleeping with the fishies.
    Flat Top likes this.
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Gunrunner; For the last few months I have been working on some "light" loads for the SG 35. These are the loads that most hunters would find suitable for medium sized thin skinned game...deer, black bear, and the wild swine.

I have come to the conclusion that for this game, the Safari 260 grain bullet at 2250 fps (2900+ ft lbs) and the Safari 310 bullet at 2150 fps (3000+ ft lbs) would be hard hitting loads for such game. These loads are easy on the shooter in my 7 pound 35 XLR, have proven to be accurate, have a very flat trajectory, and of course supply enough power to handle any situation.

If large game or LDG is on the menu, of course the SG can supply the necessary power with top end loads..........to smoke em in their tracks!!!!

With the development of these lighter loads, softer cast expanding bullets that will shoot accurately and not leave the bore fouled with lead have become a reality, and I have always felt that a medium bore used for thin skinned game can take advantage of an expanding bullet.............more on that as the testing progresses. Of course for Large or LDG a hardcast bullet at top end loadings would be the key to deep penetration necessary for that purpose.

So, the SG 35 can offer a wide range of performance for just about any hunters needs.......................but Whales? I dont know about that!!!!!!
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links