The Safari 310 "Expander" Cup Point test.
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Flat Top
  • 1 Post By rooterpig
  • 1 Post By Flat Top
  • 1 Post By rooterpig
  • 2 Post By Flat Top
  • 1 Post By rooterpig
  • 1 Post By Flat Top

Thread: The Safari 310 "Expander" Cup Point test.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

The Safari 310 "Expander" Cup Point test.

I tested the 310 50/50 alloy expanding bullet that I talked about in my last post. There was interest as to how the cup point would perform. Nothing changed here other than cup pointing the flat nose of the Safari 310 bullet. Conditions were about the same as was the velocity, load, etc.

In the photo, the bullet on the left is the FN bullet that I last tested. 6 jugs, expanded to 802, and the final weight was 272 grains or so if I remember correctly. The cup point pictured on the right penetrated 5 jugs (a bit less penetration is expected with the cup point), expanded to .800, and weighed 260 grains even (a bit more weight loss has been show to be expected as well).

One thing that did change was that the cup point did drive a straighter penetration line than did the flat point (the bullet trauma exhibits that), and this has proven itself out in forum member mt_sourdoughs tests as well.

So, thats it for now, and I am going to continue experimenting by adding a bit more WW to the mix until I get the alloy just right for the SG 35 and its velocities. As far as I am concerned this 50/50 alloy would be perfect for the lower velocities of the OEM 35 Rem. The 50/50 tested very well in the 444 at 1800 or so, and I think that 2000 fps or there-a-bouts would show the same positive results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Those bullets look as though they would wreck a deer or pig fast. How much leading ( if any) did you get ?
    Flat Top likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    rooter; Even in my rough XLR barrel the leading is minimal and most of it just comes out with the first patch down the bore. In a quality barrel it should be negligible.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Is there any difference in leading between 50/50 vs water dropped ww's?
    Flat Top likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I can only use "my" barrel to judge that......so, in my barrel (which is rough) I always get a few specks of water quenched ww when I clean (and just about the same using premium BTB bullets in that bore), and just a tad more with the 50/50 water quenched. I dont get a massive buildup or streaking of lead or anything like that. I clean my barrel in this rifle the same regardless of what alloy I am shooting, and I keep in mind that this "IS" a hunting rifle, and all that is required is a few shots anyway....and, the important thing (for a hunting rifle) is that the first few shots are dead on. Even with the rough barrel I can shoot one hole groups and the group size does not start to open up until 8 or 9 shots (last time I checked) are sent down the bore...with any of the alloys I have mentioned.....and this bore did the same thing with jacketed bullet fouling as well.

My hunting rifles are just that, and I dont get all wound up if there is some fouling in the bore. I always work up my hunting loads as I would shoot the rifle during the hunt...from a clean/cold bore (so the bore is cleaned and set aside to cool after each load is tested), and at the median temp for our hunting season...here, that is about 30 to 40 degrees on average. I also sight the rifle in under those temps as well.

My concern with a hunting rifle is terminal performance. The bullet does the work, and if there are a few specks of lead in the bore after I take my game, its really a non issue.
    Marlinjunkie and rooterpig like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Do you notice any more Bullet deformation with the 50/50 bullets when sizing/gas checking when compared to the harder ww's?
    Flat Top likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    rooter; yes, the softer alloys will deform a bit more than the harder alloys, but of course the amount that a bullet is sized down from its cast state has a lot to do with that as well. I have my molds made to pour large, and use step sizing when necessary. That way, I can size a bullet for testing in rifles with varying bore diameters. I also sort bullets according to length and weight......and that makes for a very accurate cast bullet. I dont shoot thousands of bullets, so "precision" rather than quantity is my goal.
    rooterpig likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links