Expanding Garden Hoses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Expanding Garden Hoses

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Expanding Garden Hoses

Just curious - do any of you have experience with these kinds of garden hoses? Can you recommend any particular brand?

It seems these things have a reliability/durability problem (internet reviews)- they work for a while but soon after they develop leaks pretty quickly, the fittings suck, etc. Even their warranties are kind of sketch.

Thanks.
    gunscrewguy and cajun56 like this.
    Team 1894 #126 (44-40)
    Team .45-70 #442 (Model 1895CB)
    Team Wheelguns #25
    Team Semi-Auto #14

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    These have a thin rubber (epanding) tube inside a supporting, woven cover. When the water is turned on, the inner tube, yes--very much like an innertube of a bicycle tire, but thinner--, expands until it meets the supporting sleeve. When it is expanded, it can carry more water, as the diameter is larger. However, there is a resistance washer on the male end with about a 3/8" aperture. Sort of like the 3 gal/min restrictor on a shower or sink faucet. This restrictor keeps the water pressure up, in the hose, and also limits water flow, in order to keep the hose expanded. Usually this isn't a problem since a nozzle or a sprinker will also act as a restrictor and will not need the full hose diameter water carrying capacity.

Bottom line, they will work pretty well to supply a sprayer, nozzle, or a sprinkler. But if you're filling a pool, a traditional hose will be much faster.

Second point. They do not have the durability of a traditional hose. They aren't as tough and will spring small leaks by the end of the first season. By the end of the second season, they're ready to be thrown away. Don't plan on leaving one out on the patio. That will only reduce the life span of the hose. Disconnect and drain it after every use.

They are only about 1/2 the price of a good hose of the same length. But I have good standard hoses 20 yr+ that are still working just fine/no leaks. The max out of an expandable hose is about 2 years.

No, I can't recommend any particular brand. I've bought 2.

Won't buy another.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Probably wouldn't have anything else at home, I like em
    gunscrewguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They are probably like everything else. you get what you pay for.
    Travlin, gunscrewguy and cajun56 like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have one behind truck seat. The one thing they won’t do is drain. They need water pressure to open them. Gravity drain like a hot water tank, they won’t work. I bought Tru Value hose.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
    Just curious - do any of you have experience with these kinds of garden hoses? Can you recommend any particular brand?

It seems these things have a reliability/durability problem (internet reviews)- they work for a while but soon after they develop leaks pretty quickly, the fittings suck, etc. Even their warranties are kind of sketch.

Thanks.
    Sounds like,you answered your own question! Have had several,different ones over the years and they all went in the garbage...quickly!
    cajun56 and gunscrewguy like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Stay away from them! Period!

ca'jun56
    V509, roharmon, 94win30wcf and 3 others like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I've had two, I won't have a third.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    They have gotten better over the years but still don't last long. I bought one at Home Depot quite a while ago. When it broke I took it back and they exchanged it for another no questions, no receipt. I think I've been back 4 times for exchanges now all from that one purchase. Each one seems to be a little better than the last one.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I got one as a father's gift 3 or 4 years ago. It's a 50' long one and is super handy for light weight chores. I drain it after each use, coil it up, and keep it in the garage. so it doesn't get hit with UV rays. I don't use it for feeding my pressure washer, but its plenty good enough to was a car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links