Need Repair Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Need Repair Advice

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Judson,I would say the apple did not fall far from the tree.
    Judson and InQuestXxX like this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I remodeled two of our baths, had to do this when wife did not like placement. Get a carbide drill, or whatever they call the drill that will cut thru tile. Put five or six holes in the thing. It is held on with silicone but I bet the tiler then used grout around the edges. Just take a small chisel and knock out the perimeter grout. I took a rubber mallet and gently knocked it out. The holes that were drilled kept it from doing damage on the way out. I got this advice from a guy at a tile store. He said he set a lot of tile.....? But it worked very easily for me.
    Judson likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I can't add much to the discussion but my take would be that before you try to remove the soap dish, make sure you can get get matching colored tile. Worst case scenario, the four tiles that the dish is bonded to may need to be replaced.

Attachment 785593

It's unfortunate that who ever bonded the soap dish to the tiles didn't move it a half inch higher in order to limit the number of sacrificial tiles.

I watched the tile guy replace some of the cracked counter tiles in the house (new construction) before we moved in. He took a grinder and ground out the grout between the few broken tiles, chiseled (levered) them out, installed new and re-grout. I would think the repair here would be similar.
    Judson likes this.
    Team 1894 #126 (44-40)
    Team .45-70 #442 (Model 1895CB)
    Team Wheelguns #25
    Team Semi-Auto #14

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Plenty of room left for a bar of soap. Why worry about it?
    Judson likes this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Another suggestion , use a hair dryer and warm it up as best you can , take a putty knife and hammer and see if you can tap it off , don't forget to put a towel underneath in the tub to catch it if / when it falls off .
    Judson likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2010 View Post
    Judson,I would say the apple did not fall far from the tree.
    Hey Mike - in many respects the apple didn't fall far from the tree (like the love of hunting and fishing). However, with respect to "handiness" it did. Son is MUCH more knowledge than I about such things. And, what he does know in that area I freely admit he DIDN'T learn from his father.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Soap Dish Sage Update -- I called a friend to come to my house to assess the situation. All it cost me was some bourbon, two beers, and allowing him to hug the Mrs. This individual can perform the following: roofing, carpentry, tiling, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and Lord knows what else. He is a retired Director of Maintenance for one of the school districts of which I was superintendent. I hired the man (many moons ago now). Besides having all the above-mentioned skills I do not have, we fish and hunt together, and what's the most troublesome is that he's a better wingshot than I.

Anyway, he confirmed my fear that the soap dish is not just affixed to the surface of the tiles, but is set into the tiles and grouted, and that then it was caulked around the edges. He then asked my wife about the piece that broke off. He looked at it, and said he would return, add some support that won't be seen, and then epoxy the piece back in place. He certainly has the skills to retile if necessary, but he said, "You know when you go to the doctor, and he gives you some pills, and says that if they don't work, come back and he'll give you stronger pills? That's not bad practice. If this works, it's easier for me and cheaper for you. If it doesn't, I'll come back with 'stronger pills' but you'll have to pay for them."
    gunscrewguy and paulo57509 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links