Appliance Repair............! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Appliance Repair............!

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Glad to see this brought back up!

Update on my 14 year old refrigerator! A couple of days after fixing the flap, sleeping at 1:00 am woke up to a burnt smell in house! Refrigerator decided it had enough! Pulled out refrigerator from it's hole and sure enough compressor! Not worth the cost to replace it and I can!

So here is the new replacement!

20191213_105329.jpg, 20191213_155253.jpg.

Just a updated model of what I had before!
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    DANG, y'all just described my life to a t. Just another reason I love MO, don't they say "misery loves company"? This past week I fixed the leaking shower. and the leaking faucet in the kitchen. Good and bad experiences, the good, called Delta, they sent me the shower parts for free, "original owner", the bad, could find no water shut off at the house, had to do it at the street. Another good, "ordering online", not first time repairing sink faucet, ordered online parts, easy peasy. And the beat goes on!!! T Rex
    cajun56 and Marlinjunkie like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    New appliances are not exactly my favorite. A few complaints:
    The new integrated circuits and solid state sensors are not robust against "dirty power" or brown outs like the older analog synchronus motors and reed switches were. As a result - power hiccups destroy all their controls... And then you have to drop a few hundred $$$ on new control boards.

Then they update all the parts about every two years - and obsolete everything pretty quickly.

But worst is "second tier" brands like LG - which have absolutely ZERO warranty support in most of the USA... And no parts availability.... So you get nothing but run around until you give up and buy a new unit. At least you can *GET* whirlpool and GE parts at most local appliance repair stores and online and repair guys nominally know what to do with them...

Last - the top of the line units are NOT reliable compared to the simpler "Down market" units. A plain white $500 fridge/freezer with the freezer on top and the ice maker in the freezer will easily go 30 years. A $3500 fully loaded unit with water and ice dispenser in the door may only make it like 4 years before it needs some sort of repairs. And God help you if you get a custom "Premium" unit like a Wolf or a Sub Zero - they will be needing service EVERY YEAR....

German front load washers are generally pretty good - as they have been in constant production there for 50 years... Asian ones are horrible.

And so it goes...
    cajun56 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    New appliances are not exactly my favorite. A few complaints:
    The new integrated circuits and solid state sensors are not robust against "dirty power" or brown outs like the older analog synchronus motors and reed switches were. As a result - power hiccups destroy all their controls... And then you have to drop a few hundred $$$ on new control boards.

Then they update all the parts about every two years - and obsolete everything pretty quickly.

But worst is "second tier" brands like LG - which have absolutely ZERO warranty support in most of the USA... And no parts availability.... So you get nothing but run around until you give up and buy a new unit. At least you can *GET* whirlpool and GE parts at most local appliance repair stores and online and repair guys nominally know what to do with them...

Last - the top of the line units are NOT reliable compared to the simpler "Down market" units. A plain white $500 fridge/freezer with the freezer on top and the ice maker in the freezer will easily go 30 years. A $3500 fully loaded unit with water and ice dispenser in the door may only make it like 4 years before it needs some sort of repairs. And God help you if you get a custom "Premium" unit like a Wolf or a Sub Zero - they will be needing service EVERY YEAR....

German front load washers are generally pretty good - as they have been in constant production there for 50 years... Asian ones are horrible.

And so it goes...

Oldest brother bought a $3500 Samsung and it's junk! Nothing but trouble! I paid $999.99 because of dent in back of refrigerator! I know I can get parts for it! I took the shelves from old one and put in new one! Door shelves from old one are deeper and better made! I also took drawers from old one and used in new one! I stuck with the GE line just for that! Also the fan motor I replaced is the same one on new one! Same for solenoid for flap for cubed ice! All the same!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I fixed the ice maker on our 1993 GE side by side much to the dismay of my wife. She wants one of those new ones with French doors and a bottom freezer. I told her that this refer will be running well after we take a new one to the dump in 6 years (or less). I do not know of anybody that has had good luck with the newest generation of appliances. They not built to be fixable, cheaply made as all get out, and expensive as heck.
    cajun56 likes this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Started Christmas vacation at my in-laws, but facing a defrost error on my LG refrigerator when I get home. Been researching on-line and it's likely one of four parts. Also have troubleshooting steps to narrow it down. Helped my daughter fix her dryer last month. She did most of the work competently; raised her right.
    cajun56 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My shop has one of those 1-ton LG PTAC units (motel type wall ac) for the AC/heat. And it went out...

Talked to my AC Repair buddy - he said he could probably eventually fix it if he could get a manual with schematics and parts.... The issue is parts. But - he said he just can't get any parts for them....

Yay - so it's a boat anchor...

Samsung is just as bad.
    cajun56 likes this.

Wrangler
    SW Michigan next to a picked soybean field
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman View Post
    New front loading washer for some reason they put a strainer basket before the water pump which clogs with dog hair and needs cleaned once a year or so. Have to take the stupid thing half apart because it's all sheet metal screwed together with no access panel for the cleanout which you couldn't reach from the front anyways. Next time I'll likely just cut a hole in the side in front of the cleanout for easy access
    Today was that day! Heard the familiar chirp chirp chirp from the washer telling us the water pump basket was clogged again. Got out the bore endoscope and drilled a 1/4" hole about where I thought the strainer basket would be. Endoscope confirmed it so drilled the hole bigger and out came the tin snips to make a 7.5"x6" hole in the side of the machine big enough for a bowl to catch the water from the pump. That side sits right up next to the dryer so unless you pull them apart you can't see the new access door the factory should of put there anyway.
    Team 444 #741
    Team 30-30 #1338
    Team 303 #40
    Team 60 #422
    Team wheelguns #101

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links