• 4 Post By Drm50
  • 1 Post By kraynky
  • 1 Post By Drm50
  • 1 Post By Steve_In

Thread: Mini Lathe

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Mini Lathe

Not from Harbor Freight. I built this lathe last year to make fishing lures without having to set up my big one. I'm using a sewing machine motor and have it wired to use the foot pedal or plug in a reostat fan contol. Bed is a piece of scrap Alumilum channel. The tail parts are made from assortment of garage door, food processor and sewing machine parts.
    Everything is slightly adjustable so it can be centered and squared with motor shaft. Right now tool rest is being made to hold a contor ground blade on hand screw feed so I can duplicate without having to free hand each lure. It works well with soft woods and plastic. I'm turning Buckeye for my little floaters. With a sharp tool I can turn out the little baits in
    a couple of minutes. Selection of plugs I made last year in pic.image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Nice job on the lathe. Those lures look very professional. What are you using them on? They look like they would make good top water lures for large mouth bass around here.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    There's no way I could do something like that. WoW!!!!

T.S.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I mostly fish creeks for Small Mouth here around home. Farm ponds are Largemouth. The bigger plugs I paint with rattle can for base colors. The patterns and the small plugs are all done with Dollar Store fingernail polish thinned with acetone. I got tired of buying expensive lure paint and have it go bad between seasons. If I put a lot of time carving out a plug I will put good paint on it.
    Anymore that is only the big Musky & Pike plugs.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Looks like a fun hobby that produces a beautiful and useful product. You need to sign each piece, who knows how famous you'll become making those lures. They might become "collectors items". Nice job building your own lathe too!
    Golphin likes this.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Very neat tool! I fabricated a very similar machine years ago to crest arrows for my traditional archery. Sewing machine motor and a cradle for the arrow shafts with a piece of tubing to attach the motor shaft to the cedar shafts. It ain't a Unimat, but works for the job intended.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    Looks like a fun hobby that produces a beautiful and useful product. You need to sign each piece, who knows how famous you'll become making those lures. They might become "collectors items". Nice job building your own lathe too!
    Famous? Ha-Ha, I'm pretty well known but famous is not the word they use to descibe me. Back when Bass Masters deal started I
    bought commercial equippment to make lures and plugs. Did it for about 20yrs with a partner. He was the paint man. We made thousands of lures and plugs. There was a big market for obsolete plugs and lures. We would get one and use it for pattern or if it was metal we had a friend that was a die maker and fisherman who would make up a form die to stamp them out with a 20lb sledge hammer. Old spinner type lures with lead bodies we would make dummy mold with plaster and use it as form to pour Alumilum mould in sand box. If it was worth the effort we did it. Now only interested in making a few for family, friends and old customers. My die maker passed away and my painter is in a rest home so production will be slow.
    Texas Shooter likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My wife's aunt used to paint lures at CREEK CHUB BAIT CO in Garret, In.
    She gave me and my F.I.L. a few for Christmas until she ran out.
    I have Darters and a Fly Rod Lure, he has several Pikies, Darters and some others.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Drm50 likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Contributing Member
    Member #
    WOW, great job on the machinery and the fishing gear!

gr

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links