Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Nice Lookin Rifle Papajohnabi That should put a hurtin on them Texas Whitetails!
    Steve
    papajohnabi likes this.
    Team 30/30 # 625
    Team 39 # 209

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Today was a little do things kind of day! Built a wooden hanger for a hose on the west side of the barn (extra hose in case we need it) and replaced the axle on the little utility trailer that we have used the heck out of for the last 3 1/2 years. The axle I got was too long so had to cut off 3 1/2 inches. I knew 3/4" hard steel would be tough to cut with a hacksaw (I'm a woodworker, not a steel man). My wife said why don't you use a metal blade in the saber saw so I did -- the saw is a Bosch wife bought me over 25 years ago and it still works great. That made short work of shortening the axle. Thank goodness I have a drill press to drill the holes for the cotter pins.

Garden looks pretty bad as the grasshoppers (or locust, your choice) are really attackin the tomatoes.. Peppers are bearing with a vengeance, but squash have about had it. Thinking about tilling and replanting squash for fall garden. We are drier than the proverbial popcorn toot, but guess most of the country is in the same situation! We have too much to be thankful for to be complaining about a dry spell. My dad always said, "Be patient son, it'll rain on the unjust too!"

Tomorrow, I start working on the stock of the 336. Gonna use some of EliChaps ideas -- thanks Erik! All my work on the gun so far has been from stuff on Marlin Owners. Thanks to Travis for a good tutorial on field stripping the 30-30! Y'all stay well. John
    Oz likes this.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sooth Sayer #1 Contributing Member
    Member #
    Poured here last night.getting rain along but temps staying around 96 with heat indext of 105.
    Prayin ya get some rain.
    Gunrunner,,
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Sidewinder
    Member #
    John, Sorry to hear about the bugs. I had same issue years ago and bought this black plastic netting (small holes) to keep birds and bugs off. Worked ok. Good luck! Jeff
    “It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.” Julius Caesar

“Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.” Ernest Hemingway

Member #
    Hey, as far as the hoppers go, we got off lucky! Some of the folks around here tell me the hoppers have completely stripped the leaves from all their trees! UGH

We've been busy as little bees in spite of the oppressive heat (been triple digits for last two weeks). We work early in the morning (up til about 10:30 or so) and then don't go out again until nearly sundown. One of the things we've been doing is hauling some gravel left behind in the ditch when they resurfaced the highway in front of the place. Talked to the state guys, and they basically said have at it! So we have hauled probably about 60 little utility trailer loads since the first of July. Our older dau, SIL, and granddaughter helped get the project started and younger dau was in one day to help as well. We're putting it down on the drive down to the cabin in hopes of cutting down water erosion (when it rains -- I hope). It also looks pretty good and it keeps the dirt from tracking in so bad. Here's how it looked this afternoon.
    P8080163.JPG

Of course, can't stay out of the wood shop for too long, so made shooting stool to go with the shooting bench my SIL built for me a couple of years ago. It's a cube that is 16"X18"X20" so you can flip it to the height best suited for the shooter -- hey it's cheaper than an adjustable stool. Built obivously from mostly scrap and leftover pieces from other projects! Also included a shot of the 50 yard range.

P8080159.JPG
    P8080161.JPG

My wife loves doing wood projects as well, and her sense of humor contributes to great additions to our place. We have friends who love being around water, so she made this sign which hangs on back side of the well house and points toward the tank (which at least still has some water in it this summer). CAUTION -- there are NO lifeguards on duty! Y'all take care, 'cause we care! John
    P8080162.JPG
    Last edited by papajohnabi; 03-26-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Good stuff John ... I like the "Beach" sign ...
    papajohnabi likes this.

Member #
    Nice seeing your progress John.. Funny how free gravel is seldom "free" though!
    papajohnabi likes this.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Gunfighter
    Member #
    As always, good stuff! It has rained again in South Mississippi. We're looking forward to October, and, so far, thank the Lord, no hurricanes!
    papajohnabi likes this.
    '08 1894ss .44 magnum
    '88 336CS .30-30
    '80 1894C .357 magnum
    '69 336 .30-30
    Select a rifle...in the 30-30 class, picking the action that feels the best in the hands and that one happens to like...for no one will handle a rifle at its best unless he has a sincere liking for it. Larry Koller

Deadeye
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing John. Always good to get a peek at your place.
    Mark
    papajohnabi likes this.

Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links