Where my 1894c hangs out! - Page 59
Page 59 of 120 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Like Tree660Likes

Thread: Where my 1894c hangs out!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thanks for continuing to look folks! I appreciate it -- thanks for the concern Jackruff! Doug, I think they'll get there in time, but gotta admit it's gotta be a hoot to shoot something at night when they can't see you -- son has a Gen 2+ nite scope on the AR10 and it is amazing!

What a difference a week makes in TX weather. This pic was taken out the front door of the cabin about 4pm last Sunday (Feb 12)

P2120078.JPG

This one was taken from same spot one week to the hour later. Crazy for sure. Actually 24 hours after the snow it was 70 degrees.

P2190079.JPG

Bought a new tiller (PoulanPro) and so had time to get the spring plowing in the garden done as you can see in the second pic. Now comes the plantin' We're doing well! We couldn't walk yesterday or the day before because we had RAIN -- got about 2 1/2" over the two day period. Wife is quite comfortable walking 1/4 mile, but do suggested shorter walks and more of them so we're trying to walk about 200 yards five or six times a day. Thanks for caring and checking on us. Later, John
    Last edited by papajohnabi; 03-29-2018 at 10:12 PM.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Very nice!
    papajohnabi likes this.
    #560 TEAM .30-30

Oz
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN.
    papajohnabi likes this.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.
    Team ANZMO Member #00
    Team 1894 Member # 214
    Team Bikers Member#02
    Team .375 Member #02

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    OOPS! Realized it had been over three weeks since I posted anything. Working on a couple of woodworking projects, but mostly enjoying the beautiful weather. Yep we've had some rain, but yesterday and today was mid 80s with lows about 58 or so. Got tomatoes, peppers, squash, radishes, and beets planted, but the best part is the asparagus bed. It's really coming into its own as this pic shows. That asparagus with cheese is sure good on baked potatoes. Anyway, hope y'all are well. I care. John
    P3250081.JPG
    Last edited by papajohnabi; 03-29-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Oz
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Hey John, asparagus is good tucker and a bit fickle to grow, you've done well. The reckon sheep manure is good them.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    papajohnabi likes this.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.
    Team ANZMO Member #00
    Team 1894 Member # 214
    Team Bikers Member#02
    Team .375 Member #02

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Planting a garden?!!! Holy Moly Andy! We still have snow banks around the place. The frost is coming out of the ground and the mule deer are down looking for anything to eat. The pickings are still slim for them. We are still 6 weeks away from planting a garden at the soonest! I love Asparagus!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    papajohnabi likes this.

Member #
    Oz, the asparagus was started when we bought the place, but we have been working to improve the quality. The bed is gradually spreading and that's good -- plus a healthy dose of composted donkey doo seems to work for fertilizer and bedding for the winter. The bushy stalks were about 4 feet tall last winter and so thick that the cats were climbing in it. All I know for sure is that some of the shoots are coming out of the ground over3/4" in diameter. We just cut it and eat it and don't really figure we did much except bed it down late winter. I'm told once you get asparagus started, you can't kill it We've actually been giving away some.

John, yep the weather here is really nice this time of year. Hope the tomatoes do better than last year. The garden is a sandy loam (yep I'm and Agronomy major) and should be good for the beets and radishes and squash. Peppers last year were amazing so hoping for a repeat of that. I saw 5 whitetails a couple of evenings ago but nothing like those muleys. WOW!

Thanks guys for commenting -- i've missed y'all! I care. John

Member #
    Hi John, good to hear things are good! I get jealous about your good weather. Just coming back from working on the timberframe and the snow is still almost even with the roof of my Ranger pu that I parked last fall .. Ugh

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Forum Runner
    papajohnabi likes this.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Sounds like you're off to a good start on a field full of vittles! The hard part will be keeping the critters out of it, and figuring out what you want to eat next! Enjoy the bounty.

Always good to hear about your exploits. This still one of my favorite threads, whether it's busy or not.
    papajohnabi likes this.
    "It were up to me, the whole world should send China a bill for the pandemic." —Sen. Lindsey Graham

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Welcome back! I've missed your reports. Gardens here in South Mississippi are weeks ahead of normal. Corn and beans are up and tomato plants have been set out. I usually don't set out tomato plants until April 1. We could have planted stuff in early February that we normally plant in mid-March. Frost is still possible even until the first week of April, but extremely unlikely.
    papajohnabi likes this.
    '08 1894ss .44 magnum
    '88 336CS .30-30
    '80 1894C .357 magnum
    '69 336 .30-30
    Select a rifle...in the 30-30 class, picking the action that feels the best in the hands and that one happens to like...for no one will handle a rifle at its best unless he has a sincere liking for it. Larry Koller

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links