Where my 1894c hangs out! - Page 108
Page 108 of 120 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1193
Like Tree660Likes

Thread: Where my 1894c hangs out!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Cyle, you are definitely a glutton for punishment if you went through this entire thread and I thank you for taking the time to do that! I also appreciate your comments (as I appreciate all the comments that fellow MO members have made over the last 107 pages). We've got a couple of new projects planned for the new year. If you ever come to see the place in person, you would need to remember to set your watch back 100 years when you cross the Mills County line. I expect it would be a major cultural shock for a person from upstate NY, but you would be welcome for certain!

To all who come here, we at the Hoot N Holler Hidey Hole wish you and yours a very Merry CHRISTmas and a Prosperous and Happy New Year. Please stay in touch, because y'all add so much to our lives even if we've never met in person. Take care because we really do care! John
    jpickar, MudMan, MM22UC and 3 others like this.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Member #
    Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas with friends and family. Two of ours and families made it in for Christmas so of course we had to hang some Christmas stockings. Now most of you know we don't have a lot of "extra" space, so we hung some stockings in a way that would make a Marlin Owner proud (even if those two are Henrys) Our son couldn't get here with his family because his daughter had tonsils removed on the 18th -- she's 18 so recovery is a little tough. Anyway, here's the stockings Christmas Stockings.jpg

We got some really neat games from the kids (we love playing old fashioned games like Yahtzee when friends come for the weekend) and wife and I bought ourselves a new Traeger grill for Christmas. If you haven't heard of them check www.traegergrills.com. Any how, we fired it up for the first time Christmas evening and did a grill FULL of chicken drumsticks. We still love cooking over a wood fire, but this is really great when standing outside to barbecue is a bit uncomfortable.

Traeger grill.jpg TraegerChicken.jpg

Y'all come to see us 'cause we'd love to have ya here. Take care because we care! John
    Magnum6, Oz, Stu925 and 2 others like this.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Sounds and looks like a good time John. I though of a couple of captions for your pic, but only one I could post here. ha ha
    John

I told you alice, no more fire eating, You know how it upsets your stomach!
    Mike 2010 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Well, here it is the 5th of January and this thread needs a kick start -- so what better to start it with than some Marlin shootin' rootin' tootin' range time at the Hoot N Holler Hidey Hole. Finally got a chance to shoot the 45-70 Cowboy and what a great time it was. The day after Christmas here was a beautiful day so SIL and I took the rifle out to get it sighted in. I had taken it to the LGS to do a bore sight since the first time out, we were sure we were way high and way left. The fellow who boresighted it for me confirmed that and said, "I think this will get you on paper at 25 yards".
    First target was at 25 with the one shot low at 7 o'clock. Then using Swany's method of sighting in, I held the rifle steady (we were using a Lead Sled Solo) while SIL adjusted the crosshairs to the POI. I then shot 3 rounds and was really pleased with the result.
    45-70 Sightin 25yds.jpg
    So we moved the target back to 50 yards and I shot 5 rounds. We figured since we had made LARGE adjustments on the old Weaver K4 scope that we might give it a chance to settle down to the new settings. I wasn't all that pleased with the result, but figured it was probably me and not the rifle or the scope. That is a 2 inch bullseye BTW
    45-70 My 50yds.jpg
    So now it was SIL's turn at the shoulder mounted artillery I think he got so excited about having four rounds touching that he pulled the 5th shot. We laughed about "From now on we just shoot 3"!
    45-70 Nolan 50yds.jpg
    We were shooting my handloads with Starline brass, CCI LR primers, 14.1 grains of TrailBoss, and 350 grain Oregon Trail LaserCast bullets. I may do some load testing in the spring, but for now I'm gonna load 40 more rounds using that formula. I forgot to mention that my SIL had helped me reload 20 rounds of that ammo on Christmas afternoon.

Hey, and this is still a participative thread, so all comments are welcomed. This place is supposed to be like a comfortable old pair of Wranglers or that pair of boots that you cannot toss out because "they may look crappy, but they sure are comfortable". Keep in touch guys and gals! I care, John
    Last edited by papajohnabi; 01-05-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    msharley and Stu925 like this.

Oz
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Good shootin' John and a good way to start your shootin' year, accurate rifle and reliable family.

Don't get better than that.

Mark.
    papajohnabi likes this.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.
    Team ANZMO Member #00
    Team 1894 Member # 214
    Team Bikers Member#02
    Team .375 Member #02

Member #
    Thanks Mark! Only thing better is a family of friends who believe in the power of asking for Divine Help! Hope you and Heather and Glenn have a great year! John
    Oz likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just a holler form sunny and warm AZ John. Good shooting there John by the SIL. You might practice a bit!!! lol I too now have a 45-70 and I have not put a scope on it so " the gun" only shoots 4" groups at 50 yards! LOL LOL
    John

Member #
    +1 on the idea of I need more practice John

Contributing Member
    Member #
    You were just excited to be shooting that's all. Next time out you'll be shooting 1" groups with it, especially after SIL's group, can't let her out shoot you now.

Stu
    papajohnabi likes this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Deadeye
    Member #
    Hey John glad that the hand loads worked well for ya!
    Mark

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links