My Leatherwork - Page 21
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Like Tree457Likes

Thread: My Leatherwork

Contributing Member
    Member #

Guitar Straps

Since I have a little time I figured I'd do some updates of what I've been doing in the past year or so. So without further adieu, I give you guitar straps.

Examples 1 & 2 for a girl I grew up with who is now playing bass with about 5 different bands (she's obviously in high demand):

Example 3 for my wife's cousin:

Examples 4 & 5 for my own up and coming guitar and bass players:

Painting still needs some work and I'm toying with the idea of buying an airbrush but we're getting there.

Stu
    a9mmfan, paulo57509 and tranteruk like this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Contributing Member
    Member #

Wallets anyone?

I was getting some inquiries about wallets so I figured I'd work up a prototype for a simple bi-fold wallet. Still in the prototyping phase but I like where it's going.

6 slot wallet

6 slots, 2 pockets (behind the slots)

Stu
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Contributing Member
    Member #

Vertical shoulder holster

My hunting partner wanted a new rig to tote around his Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. He had a "ballistic nylon" Uncle Mike's rig for it but the snap where it attached to the belt was driving him crazy. He asked me to build him a new rig so I obliged him. I was given total freedom to do what I wanted with it and the only requirement was that it be a vertical shoulder holster. This is what I came up with.

Everything is held together with one way "pull The Dot" type snaps and Chicago Screws so no more snaps popping loose getting in and out of the car and tree stand. It's easily adjustable with the Chicago Screws also. He's a happy camper now.

Stu
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Stu that’s beautiful work on that shoulder holster! That must have taken quite a while. I wouldn’t even know where to start.
    Stu925 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Interesting!
    #1 - I'd tote one of those wallets - good work!
    #2 - Been trying to figure how to make a shoulder holster for my new Dan Wesson 44.
    What'd be nice is to be able to have a away to fit on a belt and the rig. I'm thinking a Mexican Loop type with a slot on the loop to attach short straps with slots to attach to the rig. Thoughts?
    Question on your rig - I made one with strapping pretty much like yours for my Makarov. The straps acted like they needed a curve to sling over the shoulder and stay put.
    I was looking at some of the commercial rigs and a Tandy pattern and they make the shoulder with a wide flare where it goes over your shoulder.
    You reckon that helps hold it in place? Seems like Big Dan will need all the help it can get to stay put.

PS: Just a suggestion - I put the thumbreak on the inside since that's where your thumb is on a crossdraw.

Image showing the wide strap.

71C0ujl5k1L._SX425_.jpg
    Last edited by BubbaJon; 11-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Stu925 likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Smells good from here. I love good leather. Does the shoulder holster have a loop or tie to the belt? So its held down both sides? I have used them, though never got on. Many an hour spent trying to make them more comfortable and easier to get on and off. Cutting web straps, fitting plastic snaps, sewing and gluing. Oh the fun.
    Stu925 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RESIII View Post
    Stu that’s beautiful work on that shoulder holster! That must have taken quite a while. I wouldn’t even know where to start.
    Thank you, It took a couple of weeks of off and on work, I could probably get the next one done in a week now that I've pretty much figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    Interesting!
    #1 - I'd tote one of those wallets - good work!
    #2 - Been trying to figure how to make a shoulder holster for my new Dan Wesson 44.
    What'd be nice is to be able to have a away to fit on a belt and the rig. I'm thinking a Mexican Loop type with a slot on the loop to attach short straps with slots to attach to the rig. Thoughts?
    Question on your rig - I made one with strapping pretty much like yours for my Makarov. The straps acted like they needed a curve to sling over the shoulder and stay put.
    I was looking at some of the commercial rigs and a Tandy pattern and they make the shoulder with a wide flare where it goes over your shoulder.
    You reckon that helps hold it in place? Seems like Big Dan will need all the help it can get to stay put.

PS: Just a suggestion - I put the thumbreak on the inside since that's where your thumb is on a crossdraw.

Image showing the wide strap.

71C0ujl5k1L._SX425_.jpg
    I doubt the wide strap holds it in place as much as distributes the weight better. The straps on this one are 1 1/4" wide, I would have gone wider to distribute the weight better but I was concerned that they might be a bit too wide if I did. I think a slight curve in the straps would be a good idea for a CC rig where you would be wearing it all day every day. Suede lining the straps might help keep them in place also. I considered a thumb break for the holster but since it's really not a CC rig decided not to reinvent the wheel and stuck with what he's used to. Really this is a hunting rig for him and he's been wearing it every day in the woods this season so I gather that he likes it.

Your idea of a Mexican loop holster sounds like it might work, I think most of them are built so that the loop is actually part of the skirting behind the body, the holster is then when and slipped into the loop and molded. If you made the loop a detachable piece with Chicago screws it would be easy to switch back and forth. Definitely worth a try, worst case is you end up with a holster that's best used as a belt holster. Best case scenario you end up with a one of a kind that everyone wants.

Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Smells good from here. I love good leather. Does the shoulder holster have a loop or tie to the belt? So its held down both sides? I have used them, though never got on. Many an hour spent trying to make them more comfortable and easier to get on and off. Cutting web straps, fitting plastic snaps, sewing and gluing. Oh the fun.
    You'd love them smell of my office then, there's always a couple of sides of leather in here. Yes the rig attaches to the belt on both sides, on the back of the holster body is a strap that unsnaps and you slip behind your belt, there's a tie down strip on the weak side that runs from the ammo carrier to your belt which also snaps so you never have to unthread your belt. I used one-way pull the dot snaps on the tie downs so they can unsnap when you move around, that's a pet peeve of mine. Snaps should stay snapped unless I want to unsnap them. I've never really been a shoulder holster guy, I've tried a few and find it uncomfortable for me to get to the gun and I always feel like everyone knows I'm carrying. I used to carry IWB until I got too fat so now I like a high rise pancake holster.

I appreciate the feedback and the praise.
    cajun56 likes this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links