Just finished restoring
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Just finished restoring

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Just finished restoring

Just finished restoring these two percussion revolvers. Both British, from about 1855. Both are 5 shot double action 54 bore, about. 45. I stripped and cleaned, oiled and rebuilt with care. It was an absolute pleasure to do. I wont touch the finish of course. Anyway, I thought some on the forum might like to see. Hope so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Sweet! Thanks for sharing the picture. Very interesting! What make are they?
    cajun56, mikom and Judson like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They are both Adams, one says Adams & Company London the other says London Armoury. These may have seen service in any one of a dozen countries from India to Africa to the West Indies or even the Crimea. Gotta love guns and history.

A bit more info for anyone else into DIY gunsmithing, I disassembled them all the way, each part inspected and cleaned. Where needed any corrosion cleaned off. The main spring, a V spring in the grip needed replacing on one. A company I know made one to size. The guns are obviously percussion, and five shot. The lever, unlike the Colts, Remingtons etc rests on the side of the barrel and lifts up. There is a safety on the right side, just behind the cylinder that presses forward, blocking the cylinder from turning. They are double action, and the triggers on both a superb. Trust me, I have fired more revolvers in my time than I care to remember, I know a smooth DA pull and they dont come better. The grips, like on many old guns may look odd, skinny, but are surprisingly comfortable. The hump at the top of the back strap stops the hand riding up in rapid fire. Although looking similar, and they are made to the same design parts will not interchange. These were made by gunsmiths, each part made to fit as they went along. Thats as good as its bad, the guns are regular production, one Army marked but are very well made. One thing about the British guns of the period, they were made so they might be repaired almost anywhere. No point being half way up the Nile and finding a part broke and you need a huge machine to make a new one. All were designed for minimal maintenance.

Sorry if I go on a bit, but the history of firearms has always fascinated me as much as getting out and using them.

Oh, BTW, there is one problem that remains. A guy at the range wants to buy one of them. He is a good guy, except for his habit of shouting out when you get a good group, while your still shooting. Anyway, he would pay a fair price, but I dont want to sell either. They are beautiful to me and have so much history. I will have to tell him next time we meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tranteruk; 11-27-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    very cool! I would have to break out the black powder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Oh now that is cool. Write down all that you know about them...keep it with them for future generations. Its so nice to see new life breathed into these old pieces of history.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Beautiful piece of history, and yes it would have my finger itching to get some black powder. Hey you cleaned'em once you can do it again................Thanks for posting
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Sweet! They look awesome!

Thanks for the pictures!

ca'jun56
    tranteruk and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Really glad you like them, and can see what they are, a piece of history. Not just me then?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Really glad you like them, and can see what they are, a piece of history. Not just me then?
    When we got muzzle loading deer seasons in different states the first thing that came out were "modern muzzleloaders" Knight was one of the first and now CVA is into them. Some were modern modified bolt actions. The historical aspect was what drew most of us to the sport. when arguing about them most argued on the grounds of primitive or effectiveness. I built muzzleloaders and tried to copy the styles of originals as close as possible. They are historical. Names like JP Beck and Hawken take us back. I always admired the English Sporting rifle. It was both practical and attractive. Far more so than many of the gaudy Pennsylvania rifles. The Colt percussion revolvers are our history. The true guns that won the West. Those pistols you show are the guns of the Empire and have a history similar to the Brit as do the Colts to the American. Better made than the Colts like the Sporting Rifles over our rifles, and with the same mental pictures of their past. They were also darn expensive even in their day. If you see the old photos of the American Civil war, you see many with the young men holding both the service rifle and the revolvers which were personal an non issued. Good to see them preserved.

DEP

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Love to see and read about old guns...if only they could talk!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links