Marlin 1893 ejector problems

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 1893 ejector problems

I have 3 Marlin '94, two modern, one vintage. All 3 are giving me ejection problems.

The 1898 Vintage Marlin 1894 in .44-40 had an anemic ejector that would not even pop the cases out of the port. The original ejector had a poor spring that had lost it's tension. I ordered, received and fitted a new ejector hoping to solve the problem. I still have the same problem. The ejection is so weak that I would not depend on this rifle in competition.

The modern Marlin 1894's are in .357 and .44. Both throw the brass at least 6 feet. The 1894CB throws the brass half way to the pistol targets on a CAS stage, 2 to 4 yards to the 1 o'clock position base on the barrel being the 12 oclock. The 1894CS throws the brass 1 to 3 yards to the 2 oclock position. I do remember seeing somewhere that there was a simple fix for this problem. I have not been able to find it again.

I am hoping that someone out there can advice me on either of these problems.

Prairie Buck

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Marlin 1893 ejector problems

The degree of smoothness of the ejector plays a large role in how far it'll toss empties. Usually you need to polish the aftermarket ones so the rim slips as soon as it hits the bump. I dont go too crazy as I like my brass top stay on the bench, as long as it clears the gun I'm happy.

Is your issue with the others that they toss it too far?
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The vintage 1894, the cases fly out and fall at about the same energy level of a tear from my mama's eye.

Yes the two modern 1894's throw the cases too far out and too far forward.

I see I have the wrong model in the subject line, not that it makes much difference between these two.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

You might try roughening up the area ahead of the bump on the newer ones & if that doesn't help then try relieving the spring a little. Honestly I never tinkered with a new one but given my experiences with old aftermarket ones for the early guns I'd expect that if they were rough the rim wouldn't slip off them so easilly.

Where did you get the old 94 ejector? the ones I'v gotten from Wizners had a concave radius on the area ahead of the bump. I think that helped to grab the rim as much as the machining marks did. At any rate I ground them flat to slightly convex and polished them to get them to my liking. I dont think they will ever kick them out with the same vigor as some current ones do but once you get the rim slipping as soon as they hit the bump they fly well clear.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The new ejectors for the old style, that is with out the drilled thru the frame hole and corresponding stub, came from Numrich.

Thanks for the comments, I have played with the springs on both types, to no success. I had started to think that the surface in front of the bump might have something to do with how it behaves. Your comments fit with that.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links