Loose mag tube stud.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Loose mag tube stud.

I recently acquired a new unfired 1894 and noticed that the mag tube stud is so loose that you can move it left and right with your thumb. Is there a simple fix ? I don't want to use JB weld.
    "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1787.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: Loose mag tube stud.

I am presuming you are speaking of the dovetail mount.

Remove it and put a .002 shim under it, drive it back in. Scotch tape may work, aluminum foil might also.

Brazing a thin layer on the bottom and fitting it by stoning it to fit would be an option.

You could stake it but that does leave permanent marks.

Though you don't want to, JB Weld is the simple fix, and can be removed by using a soldering pencil if needed.

I would not myself, brazing and rebluing is an answer, buying a new one may be what you need. Though buying a new part to find that the dovetail is cut too deep would be expensive.

Member #

Thank you Swany. Indeed it seems that the dovetail was cut too large. I had another new tube stud and it too is loose. Have you ever used red loktite in this application?
    I could send the gun back to Marlin but I've converted it to pistol grip using hard to find parts and would hate to loose them.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1787.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Thank you Swany. Indeed it seems that the dovetail was cut too large. I had another new tube stud and it too is loose. Have you ever used red loktite in this application?
    I could send the gun back to Marlin but I've converted it to pistol grip using hard to find parts and would hate to loose them.
    I've also read of people dimpling/peening the base of the stud lightly with a nail set to raise the surface and provide a tighter fit. Is the stud so loose that you can actually push it out of engagement with the rifle fully assembled? If not, maybe one of the members here with more knowledge can answer whether it is necessary for the stud to be tighltly in place --- I was always under the impression that a bit of movement in the mag tube mounts was good for improving accuracy?

Or is the preferred method to have the stud firmly in place, but float the mag tube plug using an O-ring on the stud?

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

You could make a longer screw that would bottom out and lock the dovetail in or put a very short set screw in it first.

Peening may work, hammering the outer edges creating a downward thrust might work.

The loc tite might do it though I doubt it would last under recoil.

You could try this, just a little on each side in the center of the dovetail.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Use a centerpunch on the bottom of the stud to raise a bit of metal.
    Is it a CB? I thought all the 94's except them had bands up front. If its not falling out a little freedom isn't a bad thing.
    My 308MX the stud would fall out if the gun is unassembled and I'v been led to believe thats intentional, assembled it moves but cannot come out.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Member #

Thanks for the help everyone. Yes it is a CB. I actually had peened the underside of the stud before I posted the question but it was still loose enough to move left-right over 1/8'' with minimal thumb pressure. In fact just grabbing the gun from the safe would move the mag about 1/16''
    I visited my local gunsmith and we measured the dovetail slot and it was the correct size. The stud was the problem, it had file marks on the underside indicating it had been ''hand fitted''. The gun had no bullseye and was made during the Remington take-over phase. Another stud in my collection was also a little loose so I took the stud to a buddy and during his lunch hour he tig welded some filler onto the edges. I than re-fitted it, put some cold blue and hammered it into place. It probobly is too tight now.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1787.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links