Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By rob42049
  • 4 Post By rob42049
  • 3 Post By cajun56

Thread: Today in Rock n Roll History

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Today in Rock n Roll History

1933 --- Bobby Helms is born in Bloomington, Indiana.

1941 --- Peggy Lee makes her first recording, vocals for the Benny Goodman band.

1947 --- Leading the Hit Parade in the USA this week is 'Smoke Smoke Smoke That Cigarette' by Tex Williams.

1950 --- Tommy Aldridge is born in Jackson, Mississippi.

1955 --- Elvis signs with Col Tom Parker as his manager.

RCA Records manager Mitch Miller rejects an offer of $20,000 to sign Elvis, saying "No singer is worth that much".

1958 --- Buddy Holly and Maria Elena Santiago are married.

1959 --- 'There Goes My Baby' by Ben E King and The Drifters reaches #1 on the USA singles chart.

1962 --- The Beatles play a lunch and evening show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. The evening show is Pete Best's last as a member of the band.

1963 --- The Beatles play the Odeon Cinema in Llandudno, Wales.

1964 --- The Dave Clark Five signs a movie contract with MGM Studios.

'Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime' by Dean Martin reaches #1 on the USA singles chart.

'Do Wah Diddy' by Manfred Mann reaches #1 on the UK singles chart.

1965 --- The Beatles play Shea Stadium in NYC to a record crowd, 56,000+ fans. The band nets $160,000 split four ways before taxes.

'Respect' by Otis Redding is released.

1966 --- The Beatles play the District of Columbia Stadium. 32,000+ fans attend. Tickets are $3.00. The Ku Klux Klan of Maryland pickets the concert.

Bobby Darin records 'If I Were A Carpenter'.

1967 --- Fleetwood Mac plays the Marquee Club in London.

1968 --- Working at Abbey Road studios, The Beatles record 'Rocky Raccoon'.

1969 --- Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin play the Hemisfair Arena in San Antonio, Texas.

The Woodstock Music and Arts Festival opens. Campgrounds had been filling up all week.

Three Dog Night's self titled album earns its Gold Record.

1970 --- 'Lookin' Out My Back Door' by Creedence Clearwater Revival enters the USA singles chart.

'I Want To Make It With You' by Bread reaches #1 on the USA singles chart.

'The Wonder Of You' by Elvis enters its third week at #1 on the UK singles chart.

1981 --- The Rolling Stones arrive in Longview Farms, Massachusetts for band practice and rehearsal. They will be kicking off a World tour next week.

The Black Family Fair is held in Pasadena, California. Over 50,000 fans attend.

1983 --- Joey Ramone has brain surgery today as a result of injuries received in a bar fight.

1987 --- Graceland opens to the first guests arriving for the tenth anniversary of Elvis Presley's (alleged) death on 16 August 77.

Keith Richards begins work on his first solo album 'Talk Is Cheap' at a studio in Montreal, Canada.

1991 --- The International Special Olympics airs on ABC-TV in the USA.

Paul Simon plays a free concert in Central Park, NYC. A record 750,000+ people attend.

1992 --- MTV hosts a 'Choose or Lose' voter registration telethon in the USA.

1995 --- Dave Matthews band plays Redrocks Amphitheater in Colorado.

1996 --- James Brown offers the proceeds from a concert to a Woman's Shelter in Long Island, New York. The shelter refuses the money, stating that Brown is a woman beater.

2000 --- David Bowie and Iman welcome daughter Alexandra Jones into the World.

2001 --- Dave and Ashley Matthews welcome twin daughters Stella and Grace into the World.

2002 --- Deana Carter receives Community Service and a fine in a Nashville, Tennessee, Court, pleading guilty to DUI.

A memorial plaque to John Lennon was unveiled in Durness, Scotland where Lennon summered as a child from age seven to fifteen.

2008 --- Jerry Wexler dies in Sarasota, Florida. He was 91.

2011 --- A Federal Court rules that artists who had hits back in 1978 are able to claim Copyrights to their work. Bryan Adams, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, Tom Waits, and Loretta Lynn file claims under the new Law.
    Last edited by rob42049; 08-15-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Ret_Eng, Zgun, cajun56 and 1 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I was at Woodstock. Got out of the Navy in June, enrolled at Temple University for the Fall semester, and was working and partying in Wildwood, New Jersey all Summer. My buds went up to White Lake on Thursday to set up the campsite. Friday morning I got everybody's paycheck and headed north. I got into Bethel at 4 PM, cashed my check at a bar and had a glass of wine. When I got to the concert site, there was almost a million people there. Never did find my buds, I really tried, so they didn't get their checks until Tuesday back in Wildwood.

Friday night:

Richie Havens
    Swami Satachadinanda
    Sweetwater
    Bert Sommer
    Tim Hardin
    Ravi Shankar
    Melanie
    Arlo Guthrie
    Joan Baez.
    Ret_Eng, cajun56, Zgun and 1 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    rob42049, Zgun and lever30 like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118