• 2 Post By cajun56
  • 1 Post By cajun56
  • 2 Post By cajun56
  • 2 Post By cajun56

Thread: Today in Rock n Roll History

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Today in Rock n Roll History

1925 --- Mike Douglas is born in Chicago, Illinois.

1943 --- Kenny Gamble is born in Philadelphia, P-A.

1949 --- Eric Carmen is born in Cleveland, Ohio.

1954 --- 'Shake Rattle And Roll' by Bill Haley and His Comets breaks into the Top 40 in the USA.

1956 --- 'Don't Be Cruel' single by Elvis is released on RCA Records. 'Hound Dog' is the B side.

'My Prayer' by The Platters enters its last week at #1 on the USA singles chart.

'Que Sera Que Sera, Whatever Will Be' ' by Doris Day reaches #1 on the UK singles chart.

1957 --- Jerry Lee Lewis appears on ABC-TV's 'Big Beat', hosted by Allan Freed.

1958 --- 'Hard Headed Woman' single by Elvis earns its Gold Record.

1962 --- 'Green Onions' by Booker T and The MG's is released on STAX Records.

'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do' by Neil Sedaka reaches #1 on the USA singles chart.

The Beatles play the Odd Spot Club in Liverpool.

'I Remember You' by Frank Ifield enters its third week at #1 on the UK singles chart.

'Surfin' Safari' single by The Beach Boys is released on Capitol Records. '409' is the B side.

Bob Dylan plays a private party in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The set is recorded by his friend Tony Glover, and surfaces years later.

'Twist And Shout' single by The Isley Brothers peaks at #2 on the R&B chart and #17 on the Pop chart in the USA.

'You Beat Me To The Punch' by Mary Wells, 'Ahab The A-Rab' by Ray Stevens, 'Beechwood 4-5789' by The Marvelettes, 'Do You Love Me' by The Contours, and 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' by Tony Bennett all enter the USA singles chart today.

1963 --- The Kingston Trio appear as Mystery Guests on CBS-TV's 'What's My Line'.

The Rolling Stones perform at the third National Jazz and Blues Festival in Richmond, Surrey, England.

The Beatles play the ABC Theatre in Blackpool.

1964 --- The High Numbers play the Railway Hotel in Harrow, England. Just before the set begins, Roger Daltry's father-in-law steps up to the stage, drags Daltrey outside and beats him, apparently a difference of opinion in the family. The show begins on time.

'A Hard Day's Night' starring The Beatles premieres in NYC theaters

1965 --- Sonny Bono appears without Cher on ABC-TV's 'Shindig!'.

'Help' starring The Beatles premieres in NYC theaters.

1966 --- The Beatles fly from Heathrow Airport in London to O'Hare Airport in Chicago. It turns out to be their last tour of the USA.

1967 --- Appearing at this year's Reading Music Festival in the UK are Small Faces, Jeff Beck, Donovan, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Cream, Pink Floyd, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Fleetwood Mac, The Move, and several other lesser known bands. Advance tickets to the three day festival cost two Pounds Sterling.

1968 --- 'Hey Jude' single by The Beatles is released in the USA on the new Apple label. 'Revolution' is the B side.

1969 --- Working at Abbey Road Studios, The Beatles record 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Oh Darling' for the upcoming Abbey Road album.

1972 --- Mayor John Gatti of San Antonio, Texas declares today as Cheech and Chong Day in that city. The comedy team attends an all-day street festival with food and music.

Elvis and Priscilla Presley file for Divorce.

1973 --- 'Touch Me In The Morning' by Diana Ross reaches #1 on the USA singles chart.

1976 --- Keith Moon collapses in Miami, Florida and is hospitalized. His health is failing, but he lives on to perform for two more years.

1982 --- Donna Summer and Bruce Sudano welcome daughter Amanda Grace into the World.

1984 --- 'Ghostbusters' by Ray Parker Jr reaches#1 on the USA singles chart.

1986 --- Monkee Mania reignites as four of the six newly re-released vintage Monkees albums enter the USA chart.

1995 --- Jerry Garcia's funeral is held at an Episcopal Church in Belvidere, California.

1999 --- KISS get their Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    Last edited by rob42049; 08-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    cajun56, Blaine, vietnam71 and 1 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    rob42049 and vietnam71 like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118