Backyard Sk bucks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Backyard Sk bucks

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Wow that one in the first photo looks like a shooter for my area. How big do they have to be before you pull the trigger?
    I don't see any point in shooting a buck unless he'll make B&C. I've been real close a few times but still haven't got in. That is a young deer that won't make book as he stands there so I let him grow. Sad thing is that most times folks take those bucks and they never get a chance to be all they can be. I see bigger than that around here most years and let them walk. I passed one up last year that most folks would have pulled on but he just didn't scream "shooter" to me so I let him go.
    Hunting isn't always about the kill for me. I've hung quite a few tags on the Xmas tree over the years when the freezer was full and I didn't see a monster.
    Milo's current world record came from SW of here, we have some real good deer in Sk.
    It ain't the years, it's the miles.
    Team 35 #740
    Team 1894 #544
    Team 444 #745
    Team 45/70 #1815
    Team Wheelgun #90
    "The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake"
    Augustus Mcrae

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Nice Bucks!!!! Yep, Saskatchewan is the premier destination for big, heavy whitetails - big bears too. The province has gorgeous country and friendly people. I have a beautiful light blonde bear rug from my first bear which I took in Northern Saskatchewan.

Since we do love pics, here are some of deer taken on the property I hunt in East Texas. The property is part of the Trinity River bottom. All of the hunting/gun writers point to South Texas as the spot for "big" deer. Most of those huge racks are on managed, high fence operations charging thousands to kill. The writers have no clue as to what you can find in the thickets of East Texas. While the Texas Hill Country deer are numerous, they are relatively small-bodied whitetails. Those East Texas bucks we take are routinely in the 175 lb. -200+lb. range. Still not much compared to the northern deer but a handful to load on the tailgate of a 4X4 F250by yourself!
    Here's a 12 point my hunting buddy killed yesterday. 2017BuckMike.jpg
    Here's a ten point my youngest son dropped last week. Michael buck 2017.jpg

Here's the buck another young guy we hunt with killed opening weekend. ashtonbuck2017.jpg
    And here's the buck his girlfriend took. MeganBuck.jpg

If I didn't know better, I would be certain these deer were killed on a high-fence "deer farm". They were not. The property is 100% no fence/low fence. The fences we have are in such bad repair, they wouldn't keep anything out. At best, they property markers and nothing more. LOL

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Wrangler
    Member #
    Great pics TS! Nice to see the youngsters gettin in on the hunt.

Bang on with bears and deer!
    I spent a lot of time in tree stands years back with a bow in my hand and got a chance to see a pile of deer and bears. I got mighty choosy because of it.
    I took a lot of bears over the years with my bow but always wanted bigger so spent my last 3 seasons without taking one. We have a spring bear season so I used it as an excuse to be out in the woods while nature was waking up after winter. Killing a bear wasn't real high on the list by that time. When they logged my favorite area I gave it up.
    Right around home here I'd call it 50/50 black to color for bears
    Thanks for the reply
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    Team 35 #740
    Team 1894 #544
    Team 444 #745
    Team 45/70 #1815
    Team Wheelgun #90
    Augustus Mcrae

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Spring bear hunting is a lot of fun. I hunted with Zane Pikowicz - Pierceland Outfitters. Zane has since, handed the business over to his son. We flew into camp on a de Haviland Beaver float plane. The cabin was brand new and still lacked a stairway to the second floor. We used a 2X4 ladder instead. It sat on a chain of lakes. we fished in the morning a hunted bear in the afternoon. We were far enough North that there were no tall trees. It was a great experience.

T.S.
    BrotherRockeye likes this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    One of the guys I saw at work today said his friends teenage son just got his first buck that measured 195" but I haven't seen the pictures yet. It sounds like you're in zone 53. That's good deer country and a few elk in your area too. I'm in the Battlefords area. We have a lot of mule deer moving in here and the white tail seem to be getting pushed farther north into the forest/ forest farmland fringe area.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    A mature buck that's got a shot at B&C, or a good eater. I could shoot a deer in my yard most days and have seen too many deer with good potential taken before they live up to it. I guess I got picky in my old age...

I have other pictures of him, he's a young deer likely a couple seasons away from his best years.

I prefer a younger animal or a dry doe for meat. There's a monster 6x6 buck runnin around over east by the 1/2 section my Granddad homesteaded. Been good 6x6 genetics over there for longer than I've been alive. My home place is pretty much smack dab in the middle of Sk at the bottom of the PA Park. Where you at?
    BrotherRockeye likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    53 it is. deer, elk, moose, bear, wolves even had a woodland caribou come up off the river years back.

We have our share of mule deer moving in. I think part of the issue is folks knockin down every tree row and pothole bush to make way for bigger equipment and GPS farming. Mulies don't mind the wide open, WT like cover.

I used to go south for mule deer, don't need to travel for em now. They do taste a sight better feeding on grain rather than brush lol.
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    Team 35 #740
    Team 1894 #544
    Team 444 #745
    Team 45/70 #1815
    Team Wheelgun #90
    Augustus Mcrae

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links