Sidewinder
    Member #

Getting started

Any suggestions on first cowboy rifle.
    Team Old Pharts # 213

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12

Wrangler
    Member #
    If you are planning on SASS (cowboy action), please figure out where you want to complete.

Different classes require different rifles.
    The Classic categories require a rifle of 1873 or older vintage.
    The MIJ Winchester Miroku is a fine piece, but pricey.

This class also dictates .40 caliber or higher and exposed hammer 12-gauge shotguns.
    I have zero interest in any of that, so I favor the more modern categories.

I have 357 Vaqueros, a new 1894CB in 357, and hopefully a Stoeger coach gun before the week is out.
    After the weapons, comes the clothing, the leather, the hat, the spurs, etc, etc, etc if you want to shoot SASS.

If you want just a cowboy rifle, my new Marlin is production of January 2019, and very nicely made.
    I have zero interest in 44 or larger calibers, so mine is 357.
    Many of the shooters comment that 38SP is best loaded "long" for better feeding in 1894s.

Read a lot, buy once, cry once.
    North Idaho Shooter and LOPAN like this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Stoeger coach gun

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If you mean Cowboy Action, go to a few matches and borrow rifles to shoot the first few times.

The fastest rifles are the Win 1866 and 1873. Get familiar with the Pioneer Gun Works site. The Colt Lightning is perhaps a hair faster, but it is a challenge to tune and make reliable. It can be done, but helps if you're a gunsmith yourself. The fastest shotgun is the Winchester 1887 lever action, converted to load two into the action. Again, considerable tuning required.

If you don't have aspirations to compete on the regional levels or higher, a Marlin 1894, Win 92, or Rossi 92 can be slicked up impressively and will be competitive on the local level, if you do your part and practice, practice, practice. BTW the hardest to master is the shotgun. It's the reloading, not the firing.

Corrected: 1866, not 1886 Winchester
    Last edited by HIKayaker; 11-20-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    What do you want it for?
    LG

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    If you mean Cowboy Action, go to a few matches and borrow rifles to shoot the first few times.

The fastest rifles are the Win 1886 and 1873. Get familiar with the Pioneer Gun Works site. The Colt Lightning is perhaps a hair faster, but it is a challenge to tune and make reliable. It can be done, but helps if you're a gunsmith yourself. The fastest shotgun is the Winchester 1887 lever action, converted to load two into the action. Again, considerable tuning required.

If you don't have aspirations to compete on the regional levels or higher, a Marlin 1894, Win 92, or Rossi 92 can be slicked up impressively and will be competitive on the local level, if you do your part and practice, practice, practice. BTW the hardest to master is the shotgun. It's the reloading, not the firing.
    The '86 is not legal for SASS/CAS as we only use pistol caliber rifles.
    The speed record was set in SASS/CAS with a Marlin 94.
    https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...-vs-marlin-94/

I take it, that you do not participate in CAS.......
    LG

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Suggestions require a bit of information regarding your aspersions for Cowboy shooting. My first two questions is how old are you and what do you want from Cowboy shooting. If you are younger and relish completion, you will be looking for calibers that function with low recoil produced by 38 Special or 357 Mag. Loading them with lighter loads produce reduced recoil and faster gun control. Some older shooter also like these loads as they tend to be easier of joints with deterioration. 45 Colt or 44 Mag can give lots of bangs as many love the bigger cartridges just for fun. If you have seen black powder shooter and think that may be interesting, find pistols and rifles that shoot 44-40. Bottle-neck cartridges will keep black powder guns cleaner. 45 Colt always worked for me but I annealed my brass to insure tight grips on the chambers to eliminate fowling. Think seriously here as black powder shooting makes smokeless shooting as much fun as kissing your sister. Most of my years were with black and I left SASS at 78 when black powder became more effort than I could expend. Like 45 1911's? Yes? you will need 44-40 or 45 Colt for a rifle and a Winchester mod 12 or 97 for shotguns. Wild Bunch is almost as much fun as Black. Pistols make by Ruger are good for a life-time. You can not shoot out an old model Vaguero. Not sure about the new models as they are too much like lighter weight Colts. Have a pair of Colts and they are pretty and expensive but I do not like to shoot them. My advice is simple--- buy nothing now unless you have a rich Grandparent who wants to spend lots of $ for you or you are just personally rich. You must first decide on what you want from SASS. You must decide on caliber. You must consider smokeless or Black. Wanting to shoot Wild Bunch and classic cowboy means multiple shotguns. SASS guns and gear is expensive but they will cost you less if your initial decisions are sound and you stick with them. Don't buy cheap stuff because you will regret poor quality and want better and spend more later. Wait to buy better to begin your SASS experience. Happy shooting and my advice is to go Black. You will have more fun seeing and hearing everyone coughing and cussing you for fouling the air. But when the smoke is thick and you can't see the targets and you shoot anyway, and you hear the rings, you know you have arrived. Sagerider AKA Spencer

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    What are you looking for?

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Maybe you are talking Cowboy Silhouette?
    Team 30-30 #1403
    "First in last out"!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    This is an old thread from 6/19.

Perhaps the OP could update to tell us what he finally decided to do?
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links