Marlin 336 "Texan"

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin 336 "Texan"

I just purchased a 336 that I thought was a Texan but maybe not. It has a 20" barrel and full length magazine tube, straight, squared-off lever, "gold" trigger and a "gold" saddle ring on the left rear of the receiver. The serial number is 71 196XXX but the stamping on the barrel clearly states, "The Marlin Firearms Corp., New Haven, CONN, USA, Est 1870 Micro Groove Barrel, cal .30-30 WIN" I bought this rifle to have Marlin do a .30-30 Cowboy conversion on but, if anyone thinks this is too valuable to do this, let me know.
    Rifles are what you fight with. Handguns, however, are best employed to fight your way to a rifle." - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin 336 "Texan"

By Serial Number yours was made in 1971, in 1971 the lever on the texan was changed to a square lever, same as on the octagonal-barrel models and a ramp front sight without hood was put on and the saddle ring eliminated and a new folding semibuckhorn rear sight introduced. (Brophy's book info) if original this had to be a very early 71 to have the saddle ring, the 1970 models were the anniversary models with the medalian embedded in the stock. Don't know what to tell you. If it doesn't have the square lever and other model changes could be one made in 70 but not serial numbered (receiver) till 71, just don't know.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links