micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnD13
  • 1 Post By BubbaJon
  • 1 Post By BubbaJon
  • 1 Post By sgt_zim

Thread: micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??

Gun Wizard
    Member #

micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??

I got a message on my pc that micro-soft will stop maintaining windows7 and that I would have to up-date to a new pc that supports windows10.I have heard that windows10 is not good but all the new computers being sold now have windows10.Is there another alternative?
    What would be the best choice in a laptop with windows10?I do not do gaming or editing or anything to involved because I am not real computer literate..I use my pc mostly for browsing the web and visiting a few social media sites, banking and paying bills and buying on-line.I don't want to pay for more than I need but I don't want to short myself in the future if I need more.
    There are so many different computer brands with an array of features that it is very confusing to decide what is best.
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The last Windows 10 update I endured messed up my computer so badly the local computer guy could not fix everything going on. Brought an Apple that was on sale and haven't looked back. No more windows 10 for me.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for your reply JohnD13.
    Can you tell me the differance between Apple and Windows?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Microsoft says this sort of thing to nudge people along. They will still put out a few security patches and whatnot but if it's running who cares?
    Windows defender will still get updated since technically it isn't part of the OS.
    Windows 10 has been running just fine for me aside from a few decisions I don't agree with.
    I would avoid Apple at the moment - their new Catalina has hosed many people plus they have decided in their usual Apple arrogance that you can only install apps that pass their scrutiny - and incidentally sold/provided through their AppStore which costs developers money to do.
    I'm not a fan boy - I have Apples and Windows computers. I can't and won't update to the latest OSX Catalina because I use apps that are NOT available through the AppStore.
    Apple used to be THE graphics and arts computer - starting with Snow Leopard they've slowly gotten away from those roots and are now firmly courting academics and students who quite frankly don't require a huge amount of functionality. It shows.
    Snow Leopard is in fact when I went back to the PC and I find Microsoft a much more capable machine for most things I do. In fact now that they incorporate a Linux subsystem I may just let go Apple all together.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    By the way - get on Fry's Electronics Promo mailing list and they are putting laptops and such on sale all the time.
    Since all you do is web stuff you might even look at an inexpensive Chromebook - which runs the Google Chrome operating system.
    It should do anything you need on the web.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the info BubbaJon,
    MS made it sound like my PC will be infected if I don't update to windows10??I run McAfe security.Would'ent that keep me safe?I have a Dell pc that is 10 years old but still works fine.I would rather not replace it if I can get by without updating, but if I have to that Chromebook looks interesting.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    The Windows 10 is working on my computer,i don't think it did anything wrong,Windows 7 won't be supported 2020,Windows 10 is the best option.What is more,Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7,
    https://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-to-Windows-10
    As for Windows 10 update,i even hate it, thanks to my teacher, as he taught me a very effective method to disable Windows 10 update.
    https://www.winpwd.com/disable-windows-10-update.html
    Last edited by Angel; 12-10-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniels View Post
    I got a message on my pc that micro-soft will stop maintaining windows7 and that I would have to up-date to a new pc that supports windows10.I have heard that windows10 is not good but all the new computers being sold now have windows10.Is there another alternative?
    What would be the best choice in a laptop with windows10?I do not do gaming or editing or anything to involved because I am not real computer literate..I use my pc mostly for browsing the web and visiting a few social media sites, banking and paying bills and buying on-line.I don't want to pay for more than I need but I don't want to short myself in the future if I need more.
    There are so many different computer brands with an array of features that it is very confusing to decide what is best.
    I'm an IT security engineer. MS doesn't just want you to move to a new OS, there will be legitimate security issues with Win 7 which will arise after 14 Jan 20 and never get patched.

Patching your computer (whether it's Windows, Apple, or some flavor of Linux) is critical to ensuring you're as secure as you can be. Patching your computer is exactly analogous to getting yourself vaccinated for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio, yellow fever, and all the rest; but with one key difference: when you install a patch for a vulnerability for your OS, it is absolutely invulnerable to whatever malware was designed for that vulnerability. Getting MMR, TDaP, etc is a pretty good guarantee you won't get sick from any of those pathogenic microbes, but not an absolute guarantee. People who are vaccinated still occasionally get ill from microbes for which they were vaccinated.

As many problems as MS has had with W10 patching, it's is still a FAR better alternative, security-wise, to anything from Apple. Apple has HUGE problems with their general programming practices. They still do things in code for which, when I was in college in the 1980s studying computer science, I would have received a grade of "F" if I'd have turned in a programming assignment doing things Apple's programmers STILL do in 2019.

There are a number of Linux distros I like a lot, particularly Ubuntu. But be warned, as much as it looks and behaves like Windows 7 or 10, or OSX, under the covers, it ain't either one of those things, and you would need to get a little nerdy to be able to deal with issues that invariably arise.

When I go on the attack, first thing I ALWAYS looks for is computers with old operating systems like Windows XP or Vista (and coming soon, Windows 7) or their older server OS's like W2K, W2K3, W2K8 (and also coming soon, W2K8 R2); any Red Hat linux server running kernels that predate version 6.0, and so on. The reason is because somebody else has always done the leg work on the vulnerabilities. I only need to do a bit of research to figure out how to do what the other guy did.

Ranking in order of importance as relates to your security, patching is far and away THE most important thing you can do to protect yourself - more important than anti-virus, more important than sophisticated firewalls, more important than literally anything else you might do.
    JMAG54 likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    OP,

The only way to keep your laptop safe after 2020 with Windows 7 is to stay off the net. This is possible if, say you were only to use it for word processing, photo storage, and other programs loaded on the computer.

You wouldn't be able to safely surf the web, send or receive email, or continue to pay your bills. If your laptop is Windows 7 vintage or earlier, it likely does not have the capacity to load and run Windows 10, so updating to 10 is probably not an option.

Not knowing more about you, where you live, or which ISP you use, it's not possible to assess your security risk.

Believe me, if you have a serious security breech, the cost of a newer laptop will seem like a bargain in comparison to the hassle you will have trying to clean up the data compromise. Just about any bare bones laptop, new or refurbished, will have capabilities well beyond what you are using now. It need not cost much.

Good luck.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links