micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnD13
  • 1 Post By BubbaJon
  • 1 Post By BubbaJon

Thread: micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??

Gun Wizard
    Member #

micro-soft to stop up-dating windows7 in 2020 ??

I got a message on my pc that micro-soft will stop maintaining windows7 and that I would have to up-date to a new pc that supports windows10.I have heard that windows10 is not good but all the new computers being sold now have windows10.Is there another alternative?
    What would be the best choice in a laptop with windows10?I do not do gaming or editing or anything to involved because I am not real computer literate..I use my pc mostly for browsing the web and visiting a few social media sites, banking and paying bills and buying on-line.I don't want to pay for more than I need but I don't want to short myself in the future if I need more.
    There are so many different computer brands with an array of features that it is very confusing to decide what is best.
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The last Windows 10 update I endured messed up my computer so badly the local computer guy could not fix everything going on. Brought an Apple that was on sale and haven't looked back. No more windows 10 for me.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for your reply JohnD13.
    Can you tell me the differance between Apple and Windows?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Microsoft says this sort of thing to nudge people along. They will still put out a few security patches and whatnot but if it's running who cares?
    Windows defender will still get updated since technically it isn't part of the OS.
    Windows 10 has been running just fine for me aside from a few decisions I don't agree with.
    I would avoid Apple at the moment - their new Catalina has hosed many people plus they have decided in their usual Apple arrogance that you can only install apps that pass their scrutiny - and incidentally sold/provided through their AppStore which costs developers money to do.
    I'm not a fan boy - I have Apples and Windows computers. I can't and won't update to the latest OSX Catalina because I use apps that are NOT available through the AppStore.
    Apple used to be THE graphics and arts computer - starting with Snow Leopard they've slowly gotten away from those roots and are now firmly courting academics and students who quite frankly don't require a huge amount of functionality. It shows.
    Snow Leopard is in fact when I went back to the PC and I find Microsoft a much more capable machine for most things I do. In fact now that they incorporate a Linux subsystem I may just let go Apple all together.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    By the way - get on Fry's Electronics Promo mailing list and they are putting laptops and such on sale all the time.
    Since all you do is web stuff you might even look at an inexpensive Chromebook - which runs the Google Chrome operating system.
    It should do anything you need on the web.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the info BubbaJon,
    MS made it sound like my PC will be infected if I don't update to windows10??I run McAfe security.Would'ent that keep me safe?I have a Dell pc that is 10 years old but still works fine.I would rather not replace it if I can get by without updating, but if I have to that Chromebook looks interesting.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links