Block windows 10... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Block windows 10...

Wrangler
    Member #
    My computer originally had windows 7 and I had no problems with it. My computer kept trying to force me to upgrade to windows 10 and I finally got sick of being badgered and did it. Now my computer is slower and geeksquad said that was normal since my computer was originally set up for the outdated windows 7. I hate how everything has to constantly change. Why cant we leave well enough alone until there is something noticeably better? I cant even tell the difference in windows 7 and 10 except my computer is slower with the "upgrade" to 10.
    My wife and I both upgraded our phones from the IPhone 5s to the 6 and I honestly cant tell the slightest bit of difference. Had to buy new phone covers though since they aren't interchangeable.
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    Team 60 #206
    Team 22 Magnum! #019
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #32
    Team Shotgun #73

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one here likes 10!

The little woman is a different story!

It downloaded itself on her desk top, now she is freaking out! lol!

I simply said "I told you so!"

cajun

Could you do a system restore to the previous operating system then add the GWX control panel to block 10? You'd be a hero...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Fellas, of all the things you can do to leave yourself wide open to malicious actors, turning off auto-updating on your Windows machine is the best way to ensure that you're vulnerable to attack. There is nothing better you can do to your PC to protect it from bad guys than to make sure you're running auto-updates. Most of the patches you get from MS are to fix security problems, and almost none of them are feature updates.

Mark Risch - I'll be polite and say that your tech guys are not security guys. I am a security guy.

Yes, W10 allows MS to "spy" on you, but those features can mostly be turned off and you still retain most of your privacy. But even if MS isn't spying on you, your ISP has a log of every single website you visit. The amount of time that data is retained varies from ISP to ISP, but if you're surfing the internet, it's being logged.

And for the Mac fan bois, Mac OSX native security is about as good as Windows XP.

Patch your PC with every single patch that is "recommended" by Microsoft. That's far more important that having good anti-virus. And don't skimp on your AV. The free stuff is worth what you paid for it.

W10 is more secure than W7 and W8.x by leaps and bounds, and I'm a huge fan of W7, which is light years better than XP and Vista. That isn't to say that a W10 PC can't be compromised, but it's more difficult to do than it was with any OS that preceded it.

A few more things you can do to tighten security on your PC.
    1. If you have Java installed, make sure that it is set to auto-update. If you don't actually need to have Java installed, then uninstall it. If you have to ask yourself "Do I really need Java installed," it's almost a sure bet that you don't need it.

2. Adobe Flash Player. If it's installed, uninstall it. If a web site requires you to have Adobe Flash Player to view their videos, well, their videos aren't worth watching. Youtube, for example, uses an entirely different technology for video streaming - HTML 5. They switched from requiring Flash Player several years ago. Flash Player is embedded in both Chrome and MS Edge. As long as you're updating your browser, those embedded versions of Flash are also getting updated. Firefox has taken the opposite tack. If you want Flash to run in Firefox, you have to actually go to the browser settings and allow it. It is disabled by default, and has been for more than a year, maybe 2.

3. Adobe products in general. Unless you have a paid license for Adobe Acrobat, get rid of all Adobe products except that one. Use Foxit or Nitro to be able to view PDF files.

4. Never download and install software from places like SourceForge or CNet. If you need to use open source tools like WinSCP, FileZilla, or PuTTY, get them from the OEM. You can be certain that whatever you download from SourceForge and CNet has at least Trojan horses embedded in it, if not worse.

5. Never, ever, ever install toolbars on your browser. They are all (at the very least) spyware. Every single one of them. If you have any installed, uninstall them immediately. Yes, even the Yahoo and Ask.com toolbars. Get rid of them.

6. Do install Secunia PSI - get it from Flexera Software. It will let you know when there are patches that need to be applied to software that doesn't come from Microsoft (it'll even tell you if your MS software is in need of updating). Even better, have it auto-install updates. It's almost a sure bet that most of you have never updated the drivers for your printers or a host of other things which you never even think about.

7. Do install Privacy Badger and uBlock as add-ons to your browser.

8. If you like Google Chrome, but you hate Google, then use Opera or Vivaldi browsers. They both run on the Chromium browser engine, without all of the spying and bloatware that comes with Google Chrome itself.

9. Unless you ***know*** Firewalls, pretty much forget about trying to configure yours, at least not without help. Security is my business, and even I'm not very good at configuring FW. If you mess around with your FW very much, you're almost certainly going to block traffic that you don't want blocked, and allow traffic that you don't want to allow.

10. Whitelisting/blacklisting certain websites is fine. That's handled differently than ordinary FW rules.
    Last edited by sgt_zim; 11-29-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    MarlinManCB45/70 likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by javjacob View Post
    My computer originally had windows 7 and I had no problems with it. My computer kept trying to force me to upgrade to windows 10 and I finally got sick of being badgered and did it. Now my computer is slower and geeksquad said that was normal since my computer was originally set up for the outdated windows 7. I hate how everything has to constantly change. Why cant we leave well enough alone until there is something noticeably better? I cant even tell the difference in windows 7 and 10 except my computer is slower with the "upgrade" to 10.
    My wife and I both upgraded our phones from the IPhone 5s to the 6 and I honestly cant tell the slightest bit of difference. Had to buy new phone covers though since they aren't interchangeable.
    Adding RAM will likely resolve your problem. Swapping out RAM sticks is pretty easy, and is fairly inexpensive. It depends on how much RAM you want to add, and who the MFG of the RAM sticks is. You *probably* only have 4GB RAM (2x2GB RAM sticks) in a variety called "DDR3." Upgrading to 8GB (2x4GB sticks) of DDR3 should cost you about $60-70. Middle-grade laptops and higher, the RAM is very easily accessible without having to remove the entire bottom of the laptop. There's usually a vented panel on the bottom, held in by 2 or 3 screws, that will allow you to access your RAM sticks. The RAM sticks are always labeled as to what type they are - DDR3 240 pin 2GB, or whatever it may be. If you can swing it, upgrade to 16 GB of RAM (2x8GB sticks).

If your laptop is the kind where the entire bottom of the laptop has to be removed to access the RAM slots, unless you know what you're doing, it isn't worth it to upgrade RAM, not even to bring it in to your local computer shop. Between labor and parts, you could almost buy a brand new laptop.
    MarlinManCB45/70 likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links