Ever been sprayed by a Bob Cat.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gabby1956
  • 1 Post By SwampDude

Thread: Ever been sprayed by a Bob Cat.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Ever been sprayed by a Bob Cat.

I had a 600 acer track of land that I leased in the early eightys for duck and deer hunting. One day I decided to handgun hunt for deer. I had a ladder stand set up along a dirt road beside a 300 yard long lake. There was a hedgerow of trees that seperated the Lake from the marsh. It was apparent that the bucks where bedding on the edge of the sound and would cross the marsh late in the evening and funnel up the hedgerow along the marsh beside the lake.

One evening I was headed to that stand with my 686 SS 6" 357 Tarrus and was rounding a corner along the pound when I saw this huge bob cat. We have a few bob cats in our area, but this one was really huge. My buddy use to trap for them until fur prices fell and a big one was 35 ibs. This cat was better than 47 and looked link a Lynx but they are not suppose to be in our area.

As I'm walking behind him maybe 60 yards back, He stops walking and turns around looking my direction. I slipped to the left against a row of small pines that bordered the lake. He continued on and after about 10 yards he stops and I slide slip into the pines again. I guess He could sense my presence or feel the vibration of my steps because He kept stopping and looking over his shoulder.

I didn't care to shoot him He was beautiful. All of a sudden he just jumped straight into the air about 4 foot high. When he hit the ground he would run back and forth spin around and spray the pines on one side of the lake and the myrtle bushes on the marsh side. I mean you could see the spray fly all over the trees like a skunk. After he did this about 4 or 5 time he just walked on out of sight.

Now at this point I'm pretty displeased with this cat, even thought about sitting down and raising a knee to him. I decided to let him go too long of a shot and its time to be on the stand. When I got to where he jumped into the air and started spraying I found a turd on the road that I assumed was another Bob Cats. The problem was this. Where the cat sprayed was all over the trees I was hunting around. I climbed into the stand and was thinking to myself this is useless time spent. And it stunk. I was there about 8 minutes when a nice 140 lbs cow horn stepped into the clearing 12 yards away. He threw his head up and started sniffing.

I put it on his shoulder as he bolted and turned a slight angle away. I pulled back about six inches from his shoulder and squeesed. The deer ran into the myrtles and I got down and went home. I came back an hour latter with my Father and lights but I could not find a blood trail. The next morning I came back and found the buck about twenty yards in some thick stuff from where I shot him. The bullet had entered the ribs perfect and the bullet was just under the skin of the left shoulder. Thats why I could'nt find a blood trail there was no exit wound. I was shooting 158 gr. hollow points and did'nt get the penatration I expected so I only took close head shots from then on.
    SwampDude likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    LOL - gawd yes. Back home we'd go up in the woods behind my grandpa's house and if there had been a turf war - you could sure smell it.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've got whiffs of it before, we got bobcats around the house along with other critters. Another bear was seen about 80 yards from the house yesterday evening by my son in law.
    Nothing expresses Liberty more than, the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

The deeper you are involved with "the system", the shorter the hairs you're had by

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Several years back I shot at a Bobcat walking away from me at around 200 yards. I was shooting offhand and at the shot he jumped straight up in a twisting motion and took off. I know I hit close but I do not think I hit the cat. When I went to look for blood sign you could smell a real strong urin smell. I guess I scared the pee out of him.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I had no idea bobcats spray the way you describe. I've seen 'em in the woods. They are usually slipping away or running full out, so I never had an encounter like your's. Good story.
    LT likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Used to work with a lady who raised bobcats and lynx for breeding and then sold the kittens (my job was to socialize the kittens to humans...unlike many of you, I like cats, the supreme predator). She had about 45 bobcats and maybe a dozen lynx. There was this one breeding male who had a corner cage...he could hit you from twenty feet if you weren't paying attention and got too close rounding that corner. And stink? Whooeee...folks used to come and clean out under the cages and then spread that around their gardens to keep the deer out.

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #
    I wasn't aware that they sprayed... the neighbors out by the hunt'n land have said that bobcats are in the area. I just haven't seen one yet..
    Team 35 Member #3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links