A Tail of Two Pigs...(Long, Graphic)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Combat Leverguns

Thread: A Tail of Two Pigs...(Long, Graphic)

Site Contributor Sidewinder
    Member #

A Tail of Two Pigs...(Long, Graphic)

Well, finally-after quite some time in planning, a friend, my girl "G", and myself got a chance to hunt up at a preserve in Tioga, Pennsylvania. And while I am far from an experienced game hunter, my experience lent me to be less of a hunter, and more of back up to my new shooters. My duties were primarily to defend against any Zombie-Nazi-Commie Boar over running us.

Let's not get too far, too fast. First, the warning...
    WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC PICTURES TO FOLLOW. AND I MEAN IT!! IF YOU ARE A PIG, BORE, HOG, or BOAR, OR RELATED TO ONE-OR CONSIDERING BECOMING ONE-PLEASE LOG OFF NOW. Thank you.

The stars of the show:

Above: Spike's Tactical upper, 5.56, 16 inch 1/7 barrel, shooting Silver State Armory (SSA) 5.56mm 70gr Barnes TSX BT hollowpoints with a Millet 1x4 variable scope.
    Below, LWRC 6.8, 16 inch 1/10 6.8 NATO Spec II barrel (I know, research reveals this to be a mistake on 100 barrels +/- from LWRC), shooting SSA 95 gr Barnes TTSX BT rounds with a cheap chi-com POS "4X" and peg leg single scope ring (really maybe 2.5-3X scope-more on that later):

Fat man and little boy:

And "Old Painless." My custom chopped (barrel and stock) Marlin 45/70, from stem to stern 33.25 inches with permanent flash hider (which works very well) as back up (more info on this beast is available on another website, don't know if I can discuss it here or link it). Also, my venerable Glock 17, foreground, which was also carried as back up. More on this later as well!

"G" has never been hunting, nor had very much rifle experience, so she had been training pretty regularly with the LWRC 6.8 and fell in love with it, and the Geissele trigger- despite it's weight. With it, she was definitely able to put some good groups out 50-100 yards with it. My fear was the weight would fatigue her on a long stalk, as the thing was a rock before adding any optics. In my collection I had added onto a trade one of those "Welp, I'll give it to you 'fer free..." scopes, which actually did not turn out to bad at all (reviewed well too, despite the low cost). It was small, and LIGHT, and the power low enough to rule the 50 +/- environment without any additional dials, buzzers, or gee-gaws for a newbie hunter to suffer through. Point and pull.

Suffice it to say, it worked well, and she worked well with it (and yes, I had back up irons, and another scope if need be).

The hunt started a little late, but we entered the frozen, 30 degree woods, trying not to slip since there were many patches of ice, and crunching through about one inch of snow. We loaded up the weapontry, and entered the preserve, moving down a long trail and crossing a small stream, eventually reaching a low lying area with a large patch of trees surrounded by a few trails, another stream, and fence line next to it. We had already seen several different boar moving about, and set up to try and get a good position to pick one for a clean shot.

Without going into hours of typing, non essential details, and debate-it's fair to say that from our one experience, the following was observed, and one can reasonably assume the following occurred accurately:

1) The 6.8 SSA round with the 95 grain Barnes TTSX BT seems to work like a lighting bolt, despite small entrance, and exit wounds to the chest cavity.
    2) The 5.56 SSA round with the 70 grain Barnes TSX BT leaves what appears to be visibly and significantly better exit wounds.
    3) Male Boar with intact testicles seem to have a lot more fight in them then even larger ones which are cut do.
    4) Hogs, when hit, often give no indication they have been hit-leading all observers to think-boy, he/she hunter whiffed on that one!
    5) Hogs, when hit more than once also, often give no indication they have been hit!
    6) "G" with that particular rifle, scope, and ammo, is nothing to be trifled with-even while moving:

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVI_1301.mp4

The hog, not long after the video was stopped, rolled over on it's back, flopped about briefly, and then passed quickly from the double lung pass through.

My colleague, also getting a shot at the same group, had much more difficulty in putting his hog down, and it required some extra rounds to finally put this tenacious animal down. I determine this as no fault of his own (he is a great shot) nor the fault of the ammo (the wounds are devastating (IMHO). The beast was tough, and even when he finally was down, I actually ended up administering a final "coup de grace" with my G17 at less than 7 yards. I was actually sad to see such a fighter go, but glad to do it quickly. The 123 grain Speer Gold Dot found it's mark, right between his eyes, and the body fully relaxed.

But surprise: Please take notice to the dot on the right pigs head (left one is G's):

Yup, that is my bullet easing downward via gravity and it was simply pulled out by hand

Note the overzealous guide had moved the skull and pulled the piece of cracked skull fragment (to the lower left) off prior to picture:

Yes, even at near PBR, the round fully mushroomed and cracked, and dented-but not penetrated the boar's skull...

Here it is cleaned, with unfired round for reference:

And poppin' a squat on the Buffalo Bore 45/70 430 grain monster slug (generates 3000+ fpe out of the 15 inch shorty barrel)

Hey little fella? You lost?" "Hey-I like your hat!"
    Last edited by Combat Leverguns; 02-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    john m and msharley like this.

Team Thuty-Thuty Co-Captain - Site Contributor Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Great story Combat and 2 very nice hogs looks like your Girlfriend can handle that 6.8 well!!!Great job by the both of you!!!

Patrick
    #14 TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS
    #176 TEAM 444
    #14 TEAM 35
    #152 TEAM 45/70
    #11 TEAM 60
    #3 MARLIN LEAGUE
    #10 TEAM SOUTHPAW
    #59 TEAM SHOTGUN

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Piggy

Hey CL,

Nice piggy's. 45/70's do not normally require "follow ups"

Glad your G got a piggy.

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Waiting to be banned....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links