john Deere 40,,,,,,,,,, - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: john Deere 40,,,,,,,,,,

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    John Deere fan here.

I believe 1953 was the first or one of the first years for having a 3-Point Hitch on a John Deere, which is pretty important. You will be able to connect many different attachments to it.

As mentioned above, be careful on hills. The Tricycle front is more apt to tip over.

Here is some interesting JD-40 Info:

TractorData.com John Deere 40 tractor information
    Member:
    -NRA
    -GOA
    -VCDL

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    That's me but I never did care for the front tire setup! Rest of tractor is great!

ca'jun56
    From personal experience driving one growing up, those narrow front ends are a bumpy ride - depending on terrain, they buck like a saddle bronc! I also agree with Goldtrigger, be very careful on the slopes and hillsides. Have seen more than one of these tipped in my younger days! On the other hand, they are solid tractors that are very durable if well-cared for. I have a cousin who has collected a whole bunch over the years and they are great tractors.
    OLSKOOL likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I apprecheat the warning about the hills, and I will be carful! but the good part is I live in the low country of SC, not many hills here, just mud holes! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    336 Fan and turbobug like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I apprecheat the warning about the hills, and I will be carful! but the good part is I live in the low country of SC, not many hills here, just mud holes! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Oh - and did I fail to mention - those narrow front wheels love to sink in mud!!! Have fun!
    OLSKOOL likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    _MG_5631.JPG_MG_5628.JPG_MG_5630.JPG

I bought this sweet little ride Saturday. it is a 1953 john Deere 40, it is as nice as it looks. it starts better than my truck. a man restored it for his son but the son killed himself, sad. it has been painted of course but it was kept under a shed all it's life I believe. it appears to have the original steering wheel with no cracks. I got sick of ridding lawn mowers, constantly breaking and wearing out. I have a 2 acker yard and hunting club roads to cut, this should do. if anybody has knowledge of these tractors please inform me. I and in no way an expert,,,,,,,,,,,
    Funny I did the opposite. Sold an old tractor and bought a JD riding lawnmower
    OLSKOOL and NewtoSkeet like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

God, Guns, and Guts Made America Free.

At Any Cost Keep All Three !

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Olskool, you will have to make sure if you have live pto, what I mean is if you have a brushhog on without live pto it will keep pushing the tractor even when you disengage the clutch. Just try out in the open, if the tractor stops & the shrewder keeps running thats good. It is bad to find this out coming up on a creek bank, you will be OK with the trickle front end just be careful on it. I lost my Dad to one.
    Goldtrigger and capt greg like this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    mike is completely right, its best to install 1 3/8 6 spline over run clutch in the pro drive shaft line, a slip clutch is also added protection. these are the ones I have on my old tractors

https://www.agrisupply.com/rls1-over...=15&zmap=90654

https://www.agrisupply.com/gr-1-pto-...iABEgI6ffD_BwE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links