Colorado
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Colorado

Sidewinder
    Member #

Colorado

Ok moderators if this post is not allowable please delete .
    I lived in Colorado for a while after time served in the US Army was discharged at Ft Carson Co.I lived in Woodland Park and worked for the forest service ,i absolutely loved it there . But being kinda fresh from South East Asia i was not over some things yet and being young and dumb i left my job one Friday thru some clothes in my 69 Camaro and headed out . Well about 6 months later it hit me what a mistake i had made but it was too late i could never go back and things be like they were when i left.

Well some where around 40 yrs later i did go back to Woodland Park ( you know they say you can never go back) i could only recognize 2-3 buildings and the place and grown so much . There was Pot shops around and homeless hippies i call them hanging around a lot of places there in town,where there was really no town when i live there. I stayed 3 days there on the verge of tears the whole time ,then decided why punish my self like this and left westward . Well i found some better places in the western half of the state.

I had ruined all my wonderful memories of the state although it is still a beautiful place i could not handle the politics . My dreams of moving back there after retirement were shattered.

Have you ever had a similar experience ?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Moving to Campfire tales...
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    Ok moderators if this post is not allowable please delete .
    I lived in Colorado for a while after time served in the US Army was discharged at Ft Carson Co.I lived in Woodland Park and worked for the forest service ,i absolutely loved it there . But being kinda fresh from South East Asia i was not over some things yet and being young and dumb i left my job one Friday thru some clothes in my 69 Camaro and headed out . Well about 6 months later it hit me what a mistake i had made but it was too late i could never go back and things be like they were when i left.

Well some where around 40 yrs later i did go back to Woodland Park ( you know they say you can never go back) i could only recognize 2-3 buildings and the place and grown so much . There was Pot shops around and homeless hippies i call them hanging around a lot of places there in town,where there was really no town when i live there. I stayed 3 days there on the verge of tears the whole time ,then decided why punish my self like this and left westward . Well i found some better places in the western half of the state.

I had ruined all my wonderful memories of the state although it is still a beautiful place i could not handle the politics . My dreams of moving back there after retirement were shattered.

Have you ever had a similar experience ?
    Yeah, as a resident of Colorado I see it every day. In October I made a visit to my hometown in OK, saw a lot of sad changes there too.
    Golphin, Marlinjunkie and lever30 like this.
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Bottom line, not many places are the same after a lot of years unless you go to the deep wilderness.
    Some days it feels like I am not even on the same planet I was born on. I suppose this happens to most generations but the change is happening more rapidly now.

I remember before the Interstate system was everywhere you'd go on a road trip on a two lane road and every town was different with unique mom and pop shops and restaurants, it was a new adventure every so many miles.

Now days everything is homogonized, one town looks like the next with all the same chain stores and restaurants at every exit.
    Hardly anything is unique, the road trip isn't much fun any more.
    Last edited by Waffletop; 12-19-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    punch, Golphin, marlinluvr and 5 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I think this is true wherever you "grew up". I am fortunate to live in the boonies for the past 40 years and it is a shock every time I have to go to my hometown just an hour or so away.
    Golphin, Marlinjunkie and lever30 like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Contributing Member
    Member #
    No but I think I can kind of relate to how you feel. I have lived here in North Central Florida near the old and little town of Micanopy my entire 61 years. Both of my parents were born here also as well as several generations before on my mother side. I see all the development and people constantly moving here to Florida and all the while they are plowing over the land and using up the water supply. It makes me sad to see it and think about what will happen in the years after I am gone and if my kids will be able to even stay here. I remember when Orlando was not that big and there were orange groves as far as you could see up and down 441 and even the turnpike after it was built. Now there are nothing but buildings and roads so crowded you can't even travel them many times. What areas are left will not be that way long as the developers that destroyed South Florida keep moving up this way.

Wrangler
    Member #
    To categorize all of the above posts, this is PROGRESS, hold on boys...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I haven't been back to my hometown in 6 years, and most likely, will never go back. While living there, however, like Golphin, I watched thing build up at an incredible rate, with many of the things I knew as a kid being erased. 30 years after leaving, I'm watching it happen again where I live now. Once the property values skyrocket here in our little valley, I most likely will sell out and move to north-east Montana. If that area takes 30 years or more to build up, I'm OK with that--I most likely won't live another 30 years anyway.
    lever30 likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Well Shifty, like you & North Idaho, I grew up in SW Denver in the '50's to early '60's at the edge of town then, (Hampden Blvd. & Sheridan ave.). After VN & college,
    I was the Evergreen Outside Plant Engineer for US West about "80-'81 in the area that you lived. Back in the '70's I was putting together 20 year growth forecasts for the telephone company that showed incredible growth AND it happened. I bailed out of the Front Range in 1999 (I was a City Councilman in Erie, north of Denver), when we started growing at 25% a year! Like you, I went to the West Slope (Fruita) & it was great till the oil & gas boom hit. Bailed to Emmett, Idaho where I had property & a cabin 100 miles N. of Boise in '06. Now, with a huge surge of growth from California, we are seeing the same thing! The problem now, at my age (75), I'm not inclined to get too remote, like from basic needs & medical care. I'm sad too, but not near as much as a couple HS shooting buddies that still live in Boulder County!
    256WinMag and lever30 like this.
    Team 30-30 #1403
    "First in last out"!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

lever30, Judson and Oldgrey like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links