New Premium bullets vs Traditional bullets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New Premium bullets vs Traditional bullets

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

New Premium bullets vs Traditional bullets

I have been reading about monolithic bullets for sometime but continue to slay animals with either Power Points or Core-lokt ammo year after year. Years ago, I even downed a moose and two caribou with Core-lokt ammo shooting a Savage 99 in .308. No problems with bullet expansion nor penetration. So what is the big need for a so-called better bullet?

TR

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quick answer: Several states, with California in the vanguard, have prohibited hunting with traditional lead bullets.
    94win30wcf and M700 like this.
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post
    I have been reading about monolithic bullets for sometime but continue to slay animals with either Power Points or Core-lokt ammo year after year. Years ago, I even downed a moose and two caribou with Core-lokt ammo shooting a Savage 99 in .308. No problems with bullet expansion nor penetration. So what is the big need for a so-called better bullet?

TR
    Its all stupid dem laws. ooooh lead! so bad!!!! Vote ! or else. trust me! you have no idea how crazy it can get!
    Golphin and Arky73 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I still shoot cast for the most part from .25 to .50. Don't think I will move to the West Coast anytime soon.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post

TR
    I think a lot of the perceived "need" for the premium bullets comes from high velocity cartridges. The high impact velocity can lead to a conventional bullet pancaking or even fragmenting and failing to perform as intended.

Even with modest velocity, I'm glad I used premium Nosler Partitions on my grizzly. Cool thing about them, is that they do open quickly, and work well on smaller game like deer as well.

Perhaps our first "premium" bullet was the Nosler Partition - and it was the result of a failed "cup and core" bullet from a 300 magnum on mud-caked moose.

I've used Barnes TSX bullets - with mixed results. I'm not sold on them, but I'm not against them either. I have some lead-free bullets on hand should my state of Washington decide to follow California and ban lead from rifle bullets. So far, I've found the Nosler E-Tip to be a very accurate bullet - and though I haven't used them on game, I think they'd work great. Other folks I know have used them with tremendous success.

Regards, Guy

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    When Nosler Ballistic tips came out, I tried them, with good success, Partitions, the same scenario. I did blow up a lot of meat. Went back to lead and slower calibers and have been happy, The largest bear I have killed (P&Y) was with a 125grn Zwickey and a recurve bow. It was not a Griz, but a black. For the last 10 or so years I hav hunted with lead and never regretted it. Got several high velocity rifles I have been selling off because I don't need the range nor the speed where I hunt. Twenty years ago I would have tried a grizzley with my recurve, but I am a little wiser now and know my limitations.

I still fish with worms and dough balls, and every now and then with a fly.
    kpb0605, M700 and TRAILS-END like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    What Guy said.

For cartridges of "normal" MV, you won't see a great deal of difference between traditional cup-and-core bullets like Hornady's SPRP or Remington's Core-Lokt and Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX/TTSX at distances inside 200-300 yards.

It needs to be judged on MV and likely impact velocity. If I wanted to shoot 150 gr 308 Win and hunting distances were almost always going to be under 100 yards, I'd shoot premiums. If I wanted to shoot 180 gr 308 Win, I'd be fine with something like Speer Grand Slam from 0 yards out to maybe 300 yards for everything up to and including moose.

If I wanted to shoot 130 gr 270 Win, irrespective of distance, I'd shoot premiums. If I wanted to shoot 150 or 160 gr 270 Win, I'd be comfortable with cup-and-core.

If I wanted to shoot 160 gr or lighter 7mm Rem Mag, I'd use premium only.

Premiums generally perform poorly at impact velocities below about 1900 FPS (meaning they aren't likely to expand adequately). Cup-and-cores generally perform poorly at impact velocities north of 2600-2700 (meaning there's a fair chance they'll disintegrate or suffer core separation).
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Other than being forced by legislation to use them I can't see any great need for bullets of that variety. Unless of course you are hunting extremely large or Dangerous game.
    W.D.M. Bell wrote an article in 1954 wherein he stated that he thought a monometal bullet would be just the ticket for extreme penetration, such as on Elephant.
    For Deer, Hogs, anid most other North American game,I think conventional bullets will do the job just fine. Assuming they are properly selected for the purpose. I will always opt for penetration suitable to the game at hand, accompanied by expansion.
    256WinMag likes this.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I use a little of both, premimums and the old style cup and core in my rifles and am just glad that we have the wonderful choice afforded to us to be able to pick and choose what we want to shoot. MAGA
    M700, sgt_zim and 256WinMag like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The Nosler Partition was the first of the premium bullets. But then, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-Frame, Scirocco, Failsafe, Interbond, etc. etc. Companies compete and the designers need something to do . . .
    M700 and 256WinMag like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links