New Premium bullets vs Traditional bullets - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New Premium bullets vs Traditional bullets

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I agree with others - "It Depends." There is no such thing as a completely perfect bullet that does everything....

For example - take a look at the 30/30 Barnes X bullet vs the 300 mag X-bullets.... One was designed for reliable performance under 2200 fps. The other was designed for reliable performance at 3000 fps... Put the one into the other and you will end up with big problems.

Unfortunately - people (and companies) did a lot of wishful thinking and haven't been careful matching the actual bullet design to the actual velocity - and ended up with LOTS of problems either with zero expansion or blown up game or zero exit wound...

We see this sort of thing all the time with folks in SC and GA using 300 mags and 7mm mags with ballistic tips on deer inside 50 yards.. My brother and I BOTH shot our deer this year inside of 20-yards - that's just the terrain.... Yes - if you were shooting 450+ yards over a soybean field - a standard cup and core bullet would be a great choice.. But not at 20 yards.. A conventional bullet would blow up at that close range - you need premium bullets for that.... Maybe even an X-bullet...

Same with the opposite problem with Barnes X-bullets over a 2700fps USGI 30-06 Load out at 400 yards... The ones designed for a 300 mag often don't open up at that range.... A ballistic tip or conventional cup and core bullet would be just what the doctor ordered and would perform as expected...
    rx7dryver, M700, sgt_zim and 1 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    I agree with others - "It Depends." There is no such thing as a completely perfect bullet that does everything....

For example - take a look at the 30/30 Barnes X bullet vs the 300 mag X-bullets.... One was designed for reliable performance under 2200 fps. The other was designed for reliable performance at 3000 fps... Put the one into the other and you will end up with big problems.

Unfortunately - people (and companies) did a lot of wishful thinking and haven't been careful matching the actual bullet design to the actual velocity - and ended up with LOTS of problems either with zero expansion or blown up game or zero exit wound...

We see this sort of thing all the time with folks in SC and GA using 300 mags and 7mm mags with ballistic tips on deer inside 50 yards.. My brother and I BOTH shot our deer this year inside of 20-yards - that's just the terrain.... Yes - if you were shooting 450+ yards over a soybean field - a standard cup and core bullet would be a great choice.. But not at 20 yards.. A conventional bullet would blow up at that close range - you need premium bullets for that.... Maybe even an X-bullet...

Same with the opposite problem with Barnes X-bullets over a 2700fps USGI 30-06 Load out at 400 yards... The ones designed for a 300 mag often don't open up at that range.... A ballistic tip or conventional cup and core bullet would be just what the doctor ordered and would perform as expected...
    In the thick woods a high velocity load is a bad thing. You do not really need premium bullets for close in shots you just need less velocity.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I hunt thick woods with several rifles in the 3200fps range, they get Barnes ttsx bullets, 243 Win and 80ttsx mainly.

Normal speed stuff gets cup and core bullets, fast movers get Barnes TTSX.
    M700 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I like all the options for testing and load development, but I mainly use sierra Gamekings in my .308. Killed my last 10-12 deer with those.
    Goldtrigger likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    there are more bullet options than ever before, Sierra game kings are tried and true and easy on the wallet. sure there are plenty of others that will get the job done and make more perfect mushroom on impact but in my mind the bottom line is that a lot of people really don't understand just how devastating a 150 grain piece of lead moving at 2200 fps is to flesh and bone. as has been said before bullet placement is key when hunting no matter what bullet you use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links