Strange Things Found In The Woods - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: Strange Things Found In The Woods

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    This isn't particularly mysterious or anything, but I remember it well as "finding something in the woods." Back when I was a teenager, a few friends and I carried some camping equipment to a farm pond about 1/2 mile from the road. This pond was surrounded by trees. We fished in the evening when we got there, and was going to fish again in the morning. In the middle of the night, which was dead calm, we were awakened by a loud crash. A large tree fell not too far away from us (and this on a night without any wind whatsoever). In the process of investigating the noise, saw, for the only time in my life (so far, anyway) foxfire. If it weren't for the tree falling I would never have seen the foxfire.
    cajun56, marlinluvr, mikom and 3 others like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I was up doing some grouse hunting/deer scouting in a canyon not far from here.
    the access is totally on foot and you have to walk well over a mile before even getting to the fence line marking state land from the private property access so it's pretty isolated and un visited.
    it's also pretty steep and over grown back in there with only one major trail, so you can imagine my surprise to find what I thought at first was some truck or heavy equipment parts on the side of a quite steep hillside.
    I come home and done some investigating and found that a B-17 had crashed back there towards the end of WW-2 killing everyone on board.
    I had found some of the pieces to the plane but didn't know it was there so never looked for the fuselage or anything.
    Kendawg, cajun56, Judson and 7 others like this.
    unfiverun

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Was out scouting an area near my sister-in-laws house years ago. Came across an abandoned house with a
    car next to it in the middle of the woods. Looked to be from the 30’s. Lots of stuff still in the house. The second floor was partially caved in. Really creepy, looked like the occupants just up and left, leaving everything behind. Never found out what had happened.

One time while SCUBA diving I came across a burlap bag that was tied shut and laying on the bottom of the cove. Curiosity got the best of me and I cut the bag open to find it was filled with kittens and a rock.
    cajun56, Drm50, mikom and 3 others like this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    One day when I was young growing up on Avery Island, I was following the deer trails thru the woods and came across a old cemetery! Hmmmmmmm! As much as I travel these woods I never seen it! Later that day told dad about it and he never heard of it. Went back looking for that cemetery following same trail and never found it again! I did know where the slave cemetery was on that island.

ca'jun56
    mikom, Kendawg, vt4ster and 4 others like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I was deer hunting in Missouri a few years back and I saw something shiny & red laying in the leaves. It was a balloon with a note attached to it in a plastic bag. A class in a school somewhere in Texas had released a bunch of these balloons to see how far they would go.

The note contained an email address to contact the senders. I tried to do this but the email address was no longer active.

DRSLYR
    mikom, cajun56, Kendawg and 4 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Here's a tale of finding something in the woods that I didn't see the humor in until I got older. I was about 12. My father and I were still-hunting for squirrels. I spotted something unnatural on the ground up ahead, and whispered to my dad, "Do you see that up ahead? What is that?" My father whispered back, "It's a brassiere." I didn't say anything in return. At that point, Dad was probably thinking to himself, "I've got to have a long talk with that boy." As we worked closer to the garment, I figured out what it was. I whispered to Dad, "Hey, it's a bra." He whispered back, "That's what I said." Well, turns out that up to that point I'd never heard the full French word from which "bra" is clipped. Leave to my late father to used the more formal term . . .

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Back in the late 1950s and early 1960s I worked as Engineering Tech for the U.S. Forest Service on the Plumas National Forest in Northern Calif. I was the crew chief of a five man survey crew. We would on occasion end up in really remote portions of the Forest. One occasion was working on the Middle Fork of the Feather River where we ended up about 40 miles from the nearest road. We would be dropped in by helicopter for ten day periods, then brought out to town (Quincy, CA pop.3200) for 4 days and repeat all summer long. The crew was running flag line for proposed access and fire control roads in anticipation of the building of the Orville Dam which happened years later. Eventually the roads were never build in those areas. While in there we stumped upon the wreckage on a Cessna 150 that been missing for a few years, some human bones and bits of clothing remained. We notified our headquarters via a radio relay to lookout tower that could hear us. Sheriff deputies were brought in via the same helicopter and landed on a sand bar near out camp on the edge of the Feather River and we led them to the wreckage. A month later, in the same area a reporter and photographer (Sacramento Bee) decided to float down the Middle Fork of the Feather through a tight canyon noted for it's sheer embankments (Bald Rock Canyon). Their plan was to do an article on beautiful and remote area. We awoke one morning to here voices coming from the river area (our camp was about 100 yards off the river on a small fresh water spring fed steam). We went to investigate and found the two newspaper men; soaked to the skin, fatigued, and hungry. Two days previous they had capsized their small inflatable raft, lost the cameras, camping gear, raft, and foot supplies. They were still four or five miles up-steam from Bald Rock canyon when they capsized; never having reached the fast water areas. All they had was the clothes they had on and fortunately some matches that one of them had in a waterproof container in his jacket pocket. We fed them with what food we had left and radioed for the helicopter via the same lookout tower we had contacted before. They were fortunate because that was our last day in camp before we went out for one of the 4 day periods in town: and we had just enough food left to cover us all. Although we had been getting rainbows from the river to augment our food supplies occasionally.

Yep have found some strange things in the woods! CJ
    Last edited by Cascade Jinx; 10-14-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
    JMAG54, Judson, Golphin and 12 others like this.
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by no primers View Post
    ........I have an old chunk of metal out in our woods, will take a picture of it
    And post later.
    Don't dig it up! You may find it's a spaceship and you'll turn into a translucent alien.

+25 points to anyone who gets the reference.
    cajun56, vt4ster, Cefus and 2 others like this.
    "Step by step they were led to things which dispose to vice, the lounge, the bath, the elegant banquet. All this in their ignorance they called civilization, when it was but a part of their servitude." ― Tacitus

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I was a guest at a deer hunting trip down in WVa. I was to be at a bridge over a little run to be picked up for lunch. Got to bridge and there was a rifle leaning against a tree right across the road. I didn't mess with it, figured owner was close by, maybe answering call of nature. When my ride came 1/2 hour later, still nobody around so we took the rifle. That afternoon hosts wife made calls and ended up finding the owner. So no cigar on that find. Seems guy had been parked there eating lunch and forgot his gun a drove off.
    Judson, Golphin, cajun56 and 7 others like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I hunted with a friend of mine and his dad on their club on the Wateree river in SC. There was a steam locomotive just sitting in the middle of the swamp where it was left almost a 100 years ago.
    cajun56, Kendawg, vt4ster and 6 others like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links