Saw my first B25 in 30 years - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Saw my first B25 in 30 years

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I attended the PA WW2 show this year. trust me!! its well worth it!
    Victor N TN and twodot like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor N TN View Post
    I was going to a friend's house to help him doing some wiring back before my health went south, and had to pull off on the shoulder of the Interstate highway I was on. From a long way off I thought I saw a funny looking plane. As it got closer I recognized it as a WW2 bomber. As it got even closer, I saw it was a B-29. Prettiest, shiniest, biggest old plane I ever saw. Well outside of a P-52 Mustang, anyway. But I'm sure the other people passing by my truck that day thought something was wrong with me. When I finally shook myself out of the stupor I was in, I found out I had been sitting there on the shoulder of the road with my mouth open and coffee dribbled down my shirt. But for a moment in time I felt like a kid again. That's the only time I ever saw a B-29.
    Had to be Doc or Fifi.

My grandfather, Maj John F Miller (Jack) flew B-29's off of Tinian late in the war, ran a primary flying school in Arkansas up to that point in the war. About 30 years ago (iirc) he was at the airport in Memphis and Fifi taxi'd up. He caught the crew and told them he'd been an aircraft commander during the war. The turned around and took him back out to the plane and gave him a full tour, and even offered to take him up. He declined, saying his days in the cockpit were over. He passed away 12 years ago with a smile on his face, a life well lived.

His son, my uncle, joined the USAF right out of college, flew F105's in Vietnam, A7's, F16's, and F117's during his career, retired as a two star with 4000+ hours in fighters. Years after my grandfather's tour of Fifi. my uncle got a ride from the Fifi crew, and after hearing about their careers they let him take the yoke. He said the B29 was like trying to drive a boxcar, and he couldn't imagine taking off of that runway at Tinian with a full bomb and fuel load. My grandfather had always been his hero but seeing what flying one of those things was like brought newfound respect for Jack. When he told my grandfather about his trip my grandfather teared up.

Glad to see these old birds kept flying. I hope people will continue to drag them out of scrapyards and restore them for future generations. That reminds me, time to send in a contribution to the NEAM which keeps "Jack's Hack" on display for future generations.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They brought a B-29 to the air show in Ft. Wayne several years ago. My brothers and I went to see it as Dad flew them in pre-combat trials until one crashed.
    What a beautiful plane. We did not get to see her fly but took a tour of it. They are not as big on the inside as I thought they would be.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Uncle George was a tail-gunner during WW2.

The next time they are anywhere close by, I intend to take a flight.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/e...-freedom-tour/

94win30wcf, Victor N TN and gew98 like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Airventure starts at Oshkosh this weekend. Aircraft and aviators and enthusiasts from all over the world are converging as we speak. I'll be headed up soon.

Here's one of the B-25 pictures I was privileged to shoot. That's a lightweight 75 mm cannon in the big gunport.

Business card mockup.jpg
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Team MR-7 Member 9, Team 1894 Member 414, Team Glenfield Member 81, Team Savage 99 Member 26, Team Browning Member 115.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Was the B25 known as the 'Mitchell' bomber?
    Travlin, Victor N TN and gew98 like this.
    Prickle Farmer

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Yup! 'Mitchell' .............Billy Mitchell.
    Travlin, Victor N TN and gew98 like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JMAG54 View Post
    Yup! 'Mitchell' .............Billy Mitchell.
    I thought so. Dad (now 93) was 'Ground Crew - Aircraft Mechanic' in the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) during WW11.

He worked mostly on the Mitchells and B-17's, as well as a few Gypsy Moths (training aircraft)!!!
    Victor N TN, gew98 and JMAG54 like this.
    Prickle Farmer

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I used to do photography for a group that organizes volunteers to to do yardwork, cleanup and minor maintenance work for people that can't do it themselves.

I was on one yardwork project, and on that team was a quite elderly gentleman who was still spry and able enough to participate. I also knew there was a B-17 in town that weekend.

I happened to hear that B-17, and saw it coming towards us. I went up to that gent and said "sir, when was the last time you saw a B-17 flying over?", and pointed up at it. The look on his face was priceless! I swear I could see his mind swirling with memories......
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That's pretty cool, I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid at an air show in the late 70s.
    Victor N TN likes this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links