Tell Us Your Story about Who Introduced you to Shooting/Hunting
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Tell Us Your Story about Who Introduced you to Shooting/Hunting

Tinhorn
    Member #

Tell Us Your Story about Who Introduced you to Shooting/Hunting

My stepfather introduced me to shooting and hunting. He was a great man, a WWII veteran. He taught me a lot about gun safety, patience and life. He and my Mom gave me my first gun, a Remington 1100, 12 gauge when I was 16.
    We did many hunts together, squirrel, dove, duck, etc. Without his influence I probably would have gone the wrong direction in life, one that would have brought me much personal destruction and sadness. He built a love of becoming a sportsman in me. To this day I enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing, trapping and just being there. I almost always think about my stepfather when I am shooting, hunting or fishing.
    I have spent countless hours repeating that in my children with the direct support and participation of my wife. Our kids are just about all out of the house now, we have grandchildren and some have started going hunting. My oldest son has requested that our families pick ~4 weekends, once a quarter or so to have hunting and fishing weekends with the entire family, young and old. So as we think about these hunting and shooting passions we have and get so technically deep into at times, let’s all remember that there may be one person in our life that we can influence to carry this sport on long after we are gone.
    I lost my stepfather just before Christmas in 2011. So as we go into Easter of 2019 I would like to hear your stories. My stepfather, Mom and girlfriend (who became my wife) helped me see the Redemption I needed and it changed my soul forever. I almost always think about the influence that this outdoor sport started in me and helped me focus on the simple and important things in life.

The Carolina Man wants to be there if anyone ever needs to talk.

Thanks for listening and I would like to hear your story!

CM
    TimR, Judson, marlinluvr and 10 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My grandpa,mother's father, took me hunting with him when I was too young to legally hunt...that day one of my uncles shot a deer and I was hooked... A few years later, on my 14th B-day, my dad gave me my first gun, a 20ga shotgun... Both have long since passed, but I still have the gun and the memories.

Can never have too many;
    1895xlr, 1894cs, 1894css, 1894ltdss, 338mxlr, 336ss, 336gbl, 336cs, 39a, 36a
    And still looking for more...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My Dad was not a gun guy, per se. His favorite story was about trapping rabbits on the farm in Winston Salem, NC in his youth. Caught a rabbit and tied it up with his bib overall straps and tried to shoot it. He shot the strap in two and the rabbit ran off.
    He was a Naval fighter pilot in WW!! and one of the first. I give him credit and admiration for that. He did recognize my interest and had a neighbor pick out my 14th birthday present, a 16 Ga 870. I was fascinated by his hunting experiences and his guns, especially the drillings he brought back from Germany. Last year I acquired my first drilling, six decades later.

I am trying to instill the shooting experience in my grandchildren and they look forward to coming to the boonies to shoot.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Dad taught me to shoot, his friend Duke taught me to hunt. Dad said after his time in the Marianas's he never wanted to shoot anything again.

My kids all liked shooting and their kids do too. My son and oldest grandson are great hunting partners.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I still remember vividly, even 60 years later, hunkering down in a snag of drifted tree trunks with my father as canadian geese honked their way around the bend and into range.
    He's long gone now, but I still have that model 12 goose gun.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Dad started takin' me out whe I was 4 or 5 years old and too young to hunt. Swamp buggies, airboats, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers and walk/stand huntin'...any way to be out there, we were. Dads been gone for a while and I don't get to hunt near as much as I wish now due to work, but the passion is still there and hopefully that will all change in a few more years!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My father is the one who is responsible for my interest in hunting and fishing. Dad was never a big-game hunter. When he was growing up in north-central WV prior to WWII, there were no turkeys or deer. Because that's the way he started, he stayed a small-game hunter and that's what I hunted with him. As an adult I also hunt turkey and deer, but I started that as a natural extension of the general hunting I started with him. I can't recall ever watching my father shoot a centerfire rifle. But, with his iron-sighted Savage .22 "Click-Clack Gill Gun" I watched him hit running squirrels, and crows on the ground at up to 150 yards away. And wingshooting? Dang, everything just dropped when he pulled the trigger on his Savage-made "Humpback Browning" semi-auto.
    Last edited by Judson; 04-19-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My father had me shooting when I turned 5. Only good thing he ever did

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My father started me out on cans in the backyard with a bb gun. When I turned 11 he gave me a Marlin 60. Then it was shooting spent 12 gauge shells at about 35 yards. Hit the brass he would tell me. After a few months of practice. We had just finished shooting and was just getting ready to go back home. He looked down and said let's go walk that field and see what we can scare up. As we started across we flushed some quail. Four shots later, I had my first 3 quail with a .22 rifle. I miss Pops. What I would do to be 11 years old walking the woods and fields with him again. He grew up on a farm. They hunted to survive. He told my Mom he was going to deer hunt with me when fall came around. He hadn't hunted in years. And sadly he passed away 19 years ago. Fall never came around for him. But maybe one day God will give us the fall hunt we both were looking forward to.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    well I kinda had it in my blood from an early age. my father got me a .22 when I was 12. before that. BB guns, bows arrows ,no joke, a spear I made. I tryed and did get some bunnys under bushes in a nearby RR yard! WESTERNS!!!!!!!! I hiked RR beds with a passion! ALWAYS! gun in hand! everything! .22s Shotguns. my 94 winnie 32 spl muzzleloader etc when I was 12 up most of the time it was a .22 birds. woodchucks etc sometimes a shotgun. when various hunting seasons came around I could not wait. I loved to hunt squirrels with a .22 im still doing the same thing today. its been a life long hobby.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links