Tell Us Your Story about Who Introduced you to Shooting/Hunting - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Tell Us Your Story about Who Introduced you to Shooting/Hunting

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I was around 8 Years old, my Grandpa introduced me shooting in his basement. He had a 38 police S&W revolver loaded with wax loads fired into a wooden bullet trap. He drew a sight picture on paper so I would know how to aim. All this after a long safety talk that I used on my son when he was about that age.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My mother. She was the oldest in a Depression farm family and could really shoot! She could outshoot all of my friend's fathers. To her, one round meant one rabbit or one squirrel on the table.

I was about 7. I started with a cheap bolt action single shot .22, and when I was 12 bought my own Marlin 39A with money made from trapping. I started my son when he was around 6. We still shoot Marlin lever actions, but given their value, we hunt with Ruger 77/22 All Weathers now and save the Marlins for nice days at the range.
    Life Member:
    NRA
    2nd Amendment Foundation
    CMSA
    SASS
    ISRA
    GSL

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For me it was my dad but someone had to instill in my dad the love of the outdoors,shooting,hunting and that was my paternal greatgrandfather (Henry). Granddaddy is what I called him, born in 1899 died 1972. I remember as a lad going duck huntin with him and my dad, his shotgun was a single shot Winchester. Granddaddy had polio as a boy and as a result he had limited use of his left hand but he still got his limit of woody's! His deer and turkey gun was a Remington Model 512, he would lay it across his left forearm to shot, my Dad told me there were close to 60 deer and somewhere close to 30 turkey's taken with that rifle. I have that rifle now, the most treasured rifle in my possession. Dammit now I'm crying, miss you Granddaddy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Since I can remember, hunting and shooting was a way of life. We hunted for meat on the table mostly. After I got into high school, things were better and I got into
    duck and bird shooting,when I could afford a box of shells. As a kid, we always had a single shot shotgun and a single shot .22. At 12, I got a new Remington model 514
    for Christmas.. Still got it too.
    It Ain't Over till It,s Over !

Wrangler
    Member #
    I grew up in Eastern N.C. but we traveled to PA to see relatives in the summer. My father was career 82nd Airborne and was a good rifle shot. On one trip to PA, my father brought some .22 ammo and we took my uncle's rifle out in the back yard and I got to do my first bit of shooting. I wonder what would happened if you tried this these days. My father was also pretty good at instructing and I had a great time. I was seven or eight when this happened. My father told me that if I was patient I would get a .22 soon. So one day we headed down to Huske Hardware in downtown Fayetteville, N.C. The guy behind the gun counter asked me if I want to shoot a Browning .22 auto. Since we were in the hardware store, I was a bit confused but said yes. He took the rifle, some ammo and we went via the freight elevator to a floor where they stored baled straw and such. The salesman showed me how to load it and then told me to shoot the hay bales. Can you imagine this happening now days? I liked the gun so my father gave the salesman some money. They threw in a rifle case, gave my father the receipt and out the door we walked. Life was a lot simpler then.

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 94win30wcf View Post
    BB guns, bows arrows ,no joke, a spear I made.
    Interesting. That is kind of how I started out. We use to play in woods, like Daniel Boone or something. We even did the cowboys and Indian thing. We left the tomahawk along. But, we did add the slingshot. We tried our hand at birds, squirrels and rabbits, got a few birds. Did not have much time for those things after joining the service. But, I hope to pick it back up now. However, I have continued to shoot throughout the years.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GFK View Post
    Interesting. That is kind of how I started out. We use to play in woods, like Daniel Boone or something. We even did the cowboys and Indian thing. We left the tomahawk along. But, we did add the slingshot. We tried our hand at birds, squirrels and rabbits, got a few birds. Did not have much time for those things after joining the service. But, I hope to pick it back up now. However, I have continued to shoot throughout the years.
    I forgot to mention my wrist rocket.
    gunscrewguy and Bugsmasher like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Goodness, very first intro? Bad story. Given a handgun by a local hood when age 9 or 10. Big city, 1960s and all that. (.380 Browning BTW).

Not exactly the 'magical recollection' Gunscrewguy mentioned.... but sadly true.

Thankfully, with a Grandfather in the police and an uncle in the security services I was soon steered along the right path.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 04-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    My mother introduced me to shooting when I was about ten years old. She had a ruger 10/22 and a smith and wesson 22 revolver that I learned to shoot with. She also had a smith and wesson model 37 revolver with her name monogrammed on it she kept in her purse. Mom taught me wood craft and fishing but we did not hunt. I have always had an interest but never opportunity. About 5 years ago I began hunting. As an adult with no mentors it is hard hut I am learning a little every year. My mother passed away 10 years ago and I miss her every day. I have her revolver and the 10/22. I am teaching my boys the things she taught me and including them in my journey of learning to hunt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links