Comments only on A Ficitional Tale by Eli Chaps.. - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Comments only on A Ficitional Tale by Eli Chaps..

Thank you for this story. Nice writing. I will finish reading it later on.

Take care. Thanks again!

Catherine
    Catherine

Account Closed

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjunkie
    I like it.. once your done we will prune it to just the story and sticky it.. locked..
    Great idea. I don't have time to read it now, and would like to print it out so I don't have to squint at it on this screen.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lesismore
    After reading all that, my heart is pounding. I can really get involved in stories like this and this is a good one. I can almost see it just as you are telling it. wheeoooh!!!

Erik, you are a story teller and writer for sure, you better get some kind of copyright on this and make good of it !!! You my think about doing this for real and maybe you can make a bundle as well as inspire some people to learn and study. That is important, there maybe some youngsters out there that would cotton to a good story about good wins over evil instead of some of the trash that is on the book store shelves. All to often there are certain people who want to steer the younger generation into a dark and evil realm where evil is considered cool.

Keep up the good work! I like it a lot!!!
    Thanks Les. While I think this would need a LOT of polishing before ever being considered for publishing, I did at one time kick the idea around of giving the publishing thing a try. Brutal endeavor.

A few years ago I emailed a dozen or so publishing houses with a story outline and multiple page sample. I received one response by a very nice and very candid gentleman. I will never forget how he started his response to me, "Dear Erik, Thank you so much for contacting us with your inquiry however, I cannot in good conscious encourage any unknown author to even attempt trying to publish a novel any more."

Not exactly what I was looking for in the opening line. He went on to explain that the houses are bombarded with novels, some getting as many as 5000 submissions a year from unknown authors and almost none of them ever got reviewed. He said many houses will not even consider cold submissions any more and among those that do, they generally hold the author responsible for the first ten thousand copies. Meaning, you buy the difference in however many you don't sell. He said most novels by unknown authors sell less than 1000 copies. And there are folks out there tyring to get seen who have a lot more talent and education than I do for sure.

He did encourage me to look into the growing internet and self publishing arenas and I did but those take a decent amount of upfront capital and circulation and exposure is nill at best.

Basically, the odds of being the next Tom Clancy or JK Rowling are likely significantly less than the odds the a five year old in pee-wee football will become the next Troy Aikmen.

So...I write to give me something to do and in hopes that it makes other folks happy.

I am however, going to assist my best friend as he writes a non-fiction book about his response to and and participation (cop) in a horrific multi-shooting several years ago. He's going to do the writing but I'll proof and nudge and encourage and when it all comes together, whenever that will be, you can bet I'll be his number one markerter!

Once again I thank everyone for your very kind and very generous words and it just makes me happy that you enjoy what rambles out of this melon of mine!

HAL, when I sort of draw this to some sort of conclusion, at least enough of one to justify a new thread, GJ will tighten it up and put it altogether. I'm just not sure when that's gonna be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Erik,

I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of your very exciting story. It has me on the edge of my seat. You are unaware, I'm sure, of the fact that I have a background in journalism and know good writing when I read it. And this is very good stuff indeed. Keep the words coming my friend. As I said before, I wish that I could write fiction as well as you do.

You might want to consider setting up a web site to sell downloads of this kind of novel. Others, I'm sure, have made a go of it. You definitely need to copyright your work.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Sooth Sayer #1 Contributing Member
    Member #

Good Work!! Thanks,, Gunrunner,,,
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Please post all comments here as we can keep the story intact as one .. thanks... if you don't I will move the topics here anyway..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Eli,
    Tried it myself and rejection is a humbling experience.
    358 Win
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 3
    30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.
    My proud Navajo name: T'adoh-'aash (He wanders around)

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win
    Eli,
    Tried it myself and rejection is a humbling experience.
    358 Win
    True enough but at least you know where you stand.

For those interested, I don't intend for that to be the end of the story. I'd like to write more from time to time so long as you folks continue to enjoy. But, for the sake of convenience we wanted it all to run together so any continuation will be started in a new thread, like a part two or continued.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I for one am still interested.What about writing screen plays for tv shows?Just a thought.Keep up the good work. JD
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Just let us know Erik. We're all wanting more. Excellent reading.
    An old saying is "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." I believe in a head for an eye and a hand for a tooth. Keeps folks away from my eyes and teeth.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links