DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

Wrangler
    Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

knottybumpo and i have hunted deer together for many years. after a few years of some success at it, we decided to make it more challenging. we came up with the old 10 pointer or bust challenge.

now, early in the season it would be all warm and nice weather deer hunting. some mornings were just perfect snoozing weather! during this time , it was not uncommon for 4, 6, or maybe even a little 8 pointer to come sneaking past the stand. bound by the challenge, we give them the go by.

about december and still not laying eyes on that 10 pointer the bar got lowered somewhat. finally, by the first sub-zero degrees morning, that bar was flat on the ground! it was time to throw pride in the wind and shoot the first bald headed deer that came by! actually, deadey used to call those does ten pointers. they had 2 points on each hoof and 2 pointy ears.

you can bet that in that sub-zero weather i was regretting not shooting one of those really nice 4 pointers that i had passed on back in the balmy days of october.

the late season came one mid december and we were out after "deer meat". any deer including old 2 bumper would do! we were hunting up in the dells area of wisconsin.

there was a foot of snow on the ground and it was bitterly cold out. i had tried sitting a stand but just couldn't last more than 30 minutes sitting in that cold. it was so cold the snow crunched and squeaked loudly with every step. there was no sneaking about it.

i got the idea i would sneak(yeah right)down the top of the ridge and see if i could spot some deer laying down below on the white snow. it would have to be warmer than standing in one spot!

i made about 150 yards and spotted one. it was laying down on the top of a small ridge that came up to the one i was standing on. i warmed up a little. i dropped down under the other side of my little ridge and started in the direction of the deer. when i got far enough to think that i was far enough i came back up to the top and had a peep over the other side.

the deer stuck out like a sore thumb on that snow. so did the 7 others that were with it. it was a bunch of yarded up does. they were scattered around on that little ridge in a small knot. as i studied them i realized they were in a rough circle and were all facing in the outward direction. looked like an old wagon train that was circled up for the night!
    i continued to study them. at no time was there not a deers head up and in the alert position. a deer must never sleep more than 30 seconds at a time in its whole life! the heads were going up and down all the time.
    here i was in all that crunchy snow. how was i going to get down there close enough to shoot an arrow at them. i do not feel good about shooting at deer that are more than 30 yards and i prefer them to be much closer.

on studying the situation i noticed that there was a line of fairly large oak trees going down towards them. it was the only cover there was. i got myself lined up with the trees and started moving towards them. i moved as slow as sorghams in the wintertime! i could not make a step without making noise. when the heads came up and looked my way , i froze. i was about froze anyways.

how could i sneak along more quietly? those pac boots made way to much noise in the snow. so i took them off. my toes went into shock! what a differance! i could move like a phantom. well at least like a frozen deer hunter.

when the deer that was facing me put its head down, i would move. when its head started up , i was frozen again! i only moved my toes trying to keep the blood moving in them. i had got down to within 40 yards of them. THERE WERE NO TREES LEFT. i had absolutely no way to get closer to them.

my toes were letting me know that the time for this little frivolity was running out rather quickly. what to do? i could not shoot from where i was.

these were does. this late in the season it was sure that they were not stupid ones either. they were SURVIVORS. i was proud of myself for getting this close to them unawares.

a thought ocuured to me to use their possible curiosity against them. does have some curiosity. bucks do not.

i took my hat off. i got down low against the tree trunk i was standing behind. peeping out on one side i slid the hat out on the other. when the deers head came up the next time i started shaking it slowly. the deer noticed it and stared a hole through it. i moved it around and shook it harder.

the deer got up! when it did, they all got up in unison. there was 8 deer looking at that hat on on side of the tree while i was watching them from the other side. they started slowly to circle around to the right. i was trying to keep the tree between them an me as they moved. they made it to about a right angle from where they started. the deer were bunched and extremely nervous. i had my hat in one hand and my bow in the other with an arrow nocked.

some of the deer in the middle of the bunch were bumping the others for manuvering room. at last the josling was too much for them and the whole crowd panicked and ran. right past me! i had deer at five yards bounding by. i drew the arrow and tried to sight on one. forget it! i knew i couldn't hit one clean and in an instant they were gone! i stood there stocking footed and had a good laugh at their antics.

i didn't laugh too long though. i got my carcass back up that hill and found those boots! it took a heap of stomping around before my toes started feeling normal again! i am pretty happy that at this point in my life i have never run into that situation again. i would hate to have to say i could be that crazy twice!
    The highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men.....(line in a RICKY SKAGGS tune)

Platinum Poster
    Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

Great as always. Squacks :lol:
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

you can bet that in that sub-zero weather i was regretting not shooting one of those really nice 4 pointers that i had passed on back in the balmy days of october.

"4 pointers"?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

shootin hogs: 4 pointer = forkhorn buck. of course there is nothing special atall about a forkhorn buck. but it beats no deer at all and especially if it's below zero and you are still looking for deer meat!

the statement is only my feeble attempt at humor. early season and warm days = measily 4 pointer....last day of season , freezing my butt off with still no deer meat = really nice 4 pointer. same deer...differant outlook.

luck!
    The highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men.....(line in a RICKY SKAGGS tune)

Wrangler
    Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

btt

Wrangler
    Member #

DEER GIVE ME COLD FEET!

btt

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links