A DEER FOR DAD

Thread: A DEER FOR DAD

Wrangler
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

A Deer for Dad

when my dad had his triple by-pass surgery, i was there. while sitting in the waiting room, i tried to imagine life without him. i couldn't.

afterwards, in intensive care, i never felt so relieved as when, with ventilator and a myriad of tubes attatched, he gave me the old thumbs up. he took a while recovering and getting back into shape but when squirrel season came around, he may not have been close to 100% but he was not about to stay home either!

so, at thanksgiving, i got back down to visit. i brought my bow and thought i would go down to my grandmothers farm and bowhunt for one morning. my dad was all for going along. he took his shotgun along to hunt his favorite animal...squirrels. the man could find squirrels in a wheat field!

so he and i headed down there in the wee hours of the morning. i knew my mom worried about him going by himself after that operation and had tried to keep him around the house more. my dad was really happy to be out and going hunting.

we arrived about the time he always liked. that would be 2 hours before daylight. we planned on hunting fairly close together. that would be owl hooting distance. for anybody who has never heard a barred owl call, that would be several hundred yards. he had taught me to mouth call barred owls in over the campfire while we used to nightfish. the call has come in handy many times in my life.

he told me he knew of a pretty good area that he would show me and then he would walk across a bean field to another woodlot. so we walked into the edge of this thickety looking woods in the pitch black darkness. in a bit, he stops and tells me this is the hot spot and he sometimes jumped deer out of this area. i decided i would stay there no matter what so he would know where i was. i told him anytime he got ready to leave to give the old owl hoot and i would meet him in the field. i also told him that when i shot the buck i would give him the hoot and he could come help drag out the buck!

the chances of that were dismal i figured and i was joshin him. he told me it would be great if i got a deer. i told him it would be amazing if i even saw a deer.

he left me standing there and headed across the field. it was still an hour before daylight. i could not see a thing in that woods. i walked about ten yards and ran across a faint deer trail. about 3 feet off that trail stood a persimmon tree that might have been 8 inches through. as i did not want to get far from where he left me, i decided i would just climb this little tree and listen to my dad kill squirrels. so that's what i did.

i could only get about 8 foot off the ground. the tree was just a sapling and was so springy that at 8 feet the tree swayed all over with me in it. i sat up there to wait it out.

it was a cold frosty windless morning. a perfect deer hunting kind of a day. if i had been in a pre-scouted hot spot, i would have been full of anticipation. the way things were i expected nothing except to hear my dad banging away at the squacks. i did not care. i was enjoying myself. i was hunting with my father again on what seemed like extra time. it was like somebody put an extra quarter in the basketball game.

daylight finally came around. i realised i had parked myself in the biggest jungle around those parts. there was no place that looked clear enough to shoot to more than 3 feet away. i was just sitting up there marking time.

bang! there was one squirrel that was a bit on the unlucky side this morning.

i heard a slight noise off to my left. there was a deer coming towards me on the trail i was sitting over. then i saw between us a fresh scrape in the middle of the trail. how had i missed that when it got daylight?

as the deer wound its way towards me, i saw flashes of antler. a buck! at that point i did not care how big it was. i was determined to shoot it if the opportunity presented itself. i would shoot it just because my dad wanted to see me get one. the chances seemed pretty slim in that thicket that i could even shoot.

the deer came easing down the trail and stopped about ten yards from me. it was about a 125 pound fork horn. the thing was facing me head on and at the heighth i was at there was no good shot to be made. i would have to have shot it right between the eyes!

at that point it left the trail i was sitting over and started through the jungle. he was getting away. i looked for holes to shoot through that i did not think existed. the deer was really close and broadside. i found a spot that looked fairly clear and drew the arrow holding on that spot. the situation had happened to quickly to study the hole for small sticks and twigs but it was the best chance i would have. the deer walked right into the hole and stopped. it was a perfectly windowed shot. the arrow went right through the hole and right through the deers liver!

it made some wild jumps in that tangle and leaped into the top of a brushpile. it then fought its way out of there and ran out of sight. i knew it would not get far.

down the sapling i came and folded up my stand. turning to face the woodlot across the way i gave a long clean barred owl call, then added a few laughs at the end. my dad showed up in just a few minutes. he had only got to hunt 30 minutes or so. he just could not believe i had shot at a deer already.

i led him to the last place i saw the buck and let him do the tracking. it wasn't that difficult as there was plenty of blood to see.

about 100 yards from where i saw it last, we found it. i took care of the gutting and realised that we could be in a mess. the deer wasn't big but i was carrying a bow and a treestand. we took out my safety harness and tied them to the deers rack. we then strapped the harness to my dads waist as he would not have me drag it out alone. i pulled on the strap while he pulled in harness. we took our sweet time about getting back to the truck. there was no hurry. ten or 15 yards of progress and then we stopped to rest. we talked about all kinds of things on the way back to the truck. neither of us broke a sweat.

it was a day i will always remember. neither of us broke any records that day but i have not experienced many that more satisfying.
    The highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men.....(line in a RICKY SKAGGS tune)

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

The most satisfying type of hunt, one with memories for a life time.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

Beeeeutiful!

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

great story Squacks.
    NRA Life Member

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

Sturgis
    Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

cochran

A DEER FOR DAD

Now that is what it is all about! What a memory you have to cherish. I hope it is not the last deer with Dad but if it turns out to be, aren't you glad you took the time to go down and "get Dad out of the house." The best memories are hardly ever contrived but rather occur with great irony as if God himself had laid it out as such.

God bless

JOHN

Wrangler
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

btt
    The highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men.....(line in a RICKY SKAGGS tune)

Wrangler
    Member #

A DEER FOR DAD

btt

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links