Marlin Camp 9/45 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Marlin Camp 9/45 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FredT View Post
    I saw this and wanted to keep this most wonderful thread going. I just picked up my early Camp 9 yesterday. First outing had many failures to eject. Separated upper and lower halves to see the ejector. Took a pliers and bent the ejector slightly inwards to hit more of the brass case. Make sure ejector still clears the bolt when cycled. Problem solved, no more FTEs. Replaced buffer. This gun had a black one that did not look too bad. Put the blue one in it. Have a 16.5 Wolf spring but left the original one in. Scoped it with a 1.5 to 4 power Bushnell scope and used Weaver 2 piece scope bases. Gun looks very nice and is very accurate.
    Own LOTS of Marlins (all lever guns), but just acquired my first Camp 9. Also would like to keep this GREAT thread alive. GREAT information here. I don't actually have it yet, but its on the way & I'm reading everything I can find on this interesting little camp carbine.

- hutch
    Marlin .45 carbine likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    you won't be disappointed with the 9. great guns.
    hutch likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    This is a great thread! Once I finally got my Camp 9 a few months back--I replaced the recoil spring and buffer pad due to the great info posted here.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    This is a great thread! Once I finally got my Camp 9 a few months back--I replaced the recoil spring and buffer pad due to the great info posted here.
    Well MO gang, now I have 2 Camp 9 carbines! LOL LOL. Was bidding on 2 of them at GB. A standard in good shape, but clearly a lot of use. And another Deluxe that looked 98%. As is sometimes the case, I ended up with both of them. Soooo happy no other Marlin Owners that know these carbines were watching ;-) Few bidders. Placed a fair price on both & both prevailed. The Standard is in better shape than it appeared in the auction pic's. Clearly seen some use, but obviously well cared for. Pretty clean. Buffer already replaced. No stock damage. Recoil spring had also been replaced. Bore perfect. Not as purty as the Deluxe tho, which is absolutely awesome with the nice pressed checkering. It looks better than I expected too. I'm tickled with both of em, but the deluxe is beyond my expectations for $700. Doesn't appear to have been used much, if at all. Was barely dirty. Almost no bolt rub marks in the receiver. Doubt it's fully broken in. Original buffer and recoil spring. Both appear as new, buffer still pliable. I already have replacements already, but may not install them. Naturally I'm detail stripping both of them for a good scrubbing and Eezox treatment. I know, I'll be wary of the plastic parts in the trigger group. Both cycle dummy loads just fine.

I know the rule ladies. Pic's, pics, pics. But both are broken down right now with the 2nd coat of Eezox curing. I'll put them back together tomorrow and post some pic's ASAP.

I think I will probably work out some kind of trade or sell the standard outright so I can get a Camp 45 Deluxe. That way I'll have a fine example of both models. At least thats the plan . . . that is after I run a few hundred rounds thru both of them.

- hutch

ps: By the way, when I stripped the Standard, the front assembly pin was really tight. Had to lightly drive it out. Rear pushed out easily with a finger punch. Pulling the bolt stop I saw the problem. When it was last re-assempbled, clearly the person had some problems and forced the receiver trigger group mating. In the process the bolt stop spring was bent over and crushed. Probably common if you don't follow the right assembly steps. For now, I clipped off the 1/3 crushed & stretched the remaining spring. Seems to work ok, but a new bolt stop spring has been ordered. The top of the feed ramp is also scratched up a bit. The assembler didn't know the little tricks LEARNED HERE about pushing the spring pivoted feed ramp back a bit to clear the barrel end. No need to force anything if'n ya do it right. Where do you learn to do it right? Marlin Owners Forum naturally! Feed ramp doesn't appear dinged up enough to effect function. We will see. Stripping the Deluxe was a breeze. Doesn't appear it had ever been broken down. If not for a small ding in the heel of the buttstock, this could be considered "as new". Pic's tomorrow.

Deadeye
    Member #
    OPPS - I just realized this is a Sticky and I think we are not supposed to post to permanent sticky's. If a moderator or admin is viewing, can you let us know if posting to this thread is OK? Sorry if plugging in my new Camp 9's was inappropriate. Please let me know.

- hutch

Tinhorn
    Member #

Camp Carbine stocks available!!!!

Here you go! Mine is on the way, they advise only very minor fitting is needed.
    And finishing of course.

They are WALNUT. And a bit beefier behind the receiver to help with the splitting issue.

Gunville.com

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    So I am thinking that my recoil buffer exploded hadn't shotgun in 19 years went out put a hundred rounds through it after cleaning thoroughly period after shooting brought home to clean opened up and found tons of chafed plastic pieces also while shooting my slide locked back in the back position sounded like I need to take to a gunsmith. Also curious seen several things about serial numbers and manufacture date my second number is 0 my third number is 9 doubt it's a 2009 cuz I shot it when I was sixteen and that was in the early 90s any help any ideas

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    The bolt may have locked back due to the buffer disintegrating and pieces blocking the bolt, but more likely the hammer strut bridge might be bent or broken due to the bolt over traveling and striking the rear of the receiver. Either way in my experience working on the 9 and 45, a total disassembly is probably called for, including the trigger group to clean out pieces of the buffer. This takes experience that some gunsmiths won't have and can do more damage than help. I have the jigs and tools to do it with as I started working on them years ago for some owners in my area. Plus I own several 9's myself. There is a video posted on YouTube by a guy that shows how to do it and a few tricks to make he job easier. Sometimes an ultrasonic bath can clean out the pieces in the trigger group, but not completely in my experience. You also have to be careful with what cleaning agent you use as the trigger guard (housing) will melt.

As for the serial numbers, there is conflicting info and some errors in some posts here. When the very first 9's were manufactured in 1985, the first two numbers in the serial number were 00 or there was fewer numbers than later in the first run year. This did not equate to the year 2000 as reported here. In 1985, they switched the serial numbering scheme so that the first two numbers started with 15. If you subtract 15 from 2000, you get 1985 (the first year of production). If your serial number begins with 14, then your production year is 1986 and so on. These rifles were the first generation and are missing the bolt hold open on the left side of the trigger housing unless it was returned to Marlin for an upgrade to the second generation parts which included usually the bolt hold open, trigger housing, side plate that was needed for the new bolt hold open, new style magazine latch, bolt lever and in some cases where the receiver was worn from the old style bolt hold open, they were to have said to replace that also along with the bolt. (all for free) I don't know about that as that is the serialized part so would have had to be stamped identically to be legal. One of my 9's has a serial number that starts with 01 which puts it as a 1999 year which is supposed to be the last year of production. I doubt that there are few people at Remington that were around when the camp guns were produced so it doesn't surprise me that there is so much conflicting information being provided from them. I have worked on all years and versions or generations of them.

If you have a first generation that does not have the bolt stop on the left side, you probably still have the old style of hammer strut bridge with the tail on it. If so, they are hard to find if it needs to be replaced. The trigger will not reset correctly if you attempt to use the new style bridge in it. Numerich (gunpartscorp.com if I remember right) might still have the old style in stock. They have the most replacement parts for the 9's that I know of. Midway and a few others have a few parts but not much. I only have new style parts in my inventory as the first gen parts were used up. I do have a few older parts but not many and not the strut bridge.

Good luck!
    Pshooter likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I haven't posted for a while but I was sorting 38 Special brass and found some examples of Plus P and Plus P Plus brass in case you have not seen any. Remember your Camp 9 can shoot +P but not +P+ ammo. Plus P ammo is considered "Overpressure" ammo so be careful your weapon can handle the extra pressure. I attach a photo of some 38 Special brass with head stamps showing Plus P designation. In a factory loaded ammo I would trust the Plus P being true. With a reloaded case the loader may of loaded it any where from under to over pressure. Many reloaders do not sort cases to headstamp (same manufacturer or standard to plus p pressure), so you really must be careful and ask. Plus P head stamp.jpg

In the picture on the left is a standard pressure Remington, center is a Winchester Plus P load, and on the right is a Federal Plus P Plus load. Again in factory loaded ammo. Unknown in reloaded ammo.
    Last edited by Mush; 08-04-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links