Critters you Will eat? Won't eat? And Why...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Critters you Will eat? Won't eat? And Why...

Sidewinder
    Member #

Critters you Will eat? Won't eat? And Why...

I've been pressed lately to eat things I normally wouldn't.

What I'm curious is What meats, fish, animal proteins etc will or won't you eat and why?
    Serious answers please. Trying to get over some aversions, and trying to figure out why I have them in the first place.
    Is it taste? Was it Taught? Simply never having had it, Preparation? Texture or smell etc.......
    There is a whole planet of food out there. Why do some people love one thing, yet others hate it.......
    mikom, punch and gunscrewguy like this.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Take your time, but do it quickly.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Javelina - they smell so bad - but the real reason I haven't eaten one is I've not been hungry enough, with no hope of anything else. Even then, I'd slow cook and season the heck out of it!
    All Guns Are Always Loaded, Finger Off The Trigger Until the Moment of Truth

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Catfish and shad. They both taste like mud to me. And shad have s-o-o-o-o many bones.

Yeah, I know lots of folks like catfish.... Not me.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HoploDad View Post
    Javelina - they smell so bad - but the real reason I haven't eaten one is I've not been hungry enough, with no hope of anything else. Even then, I'd slow cook and season the heck out of it!
    A big musky angry rodent everyone thinks is a pig. With you there....... BUT I Love rabbit and squirrel. Both rodents. Still can't bring myself to try armadillo Though some clame it is great. One of the few carriers of leprosy on the planet, yet folk eat them

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Ditto on catfish, too many bones and it's a texture thing. Kinda like watching Naked and Afraid, when they eat grubs, or slugs, anything slimy is a major no-go! Mango makes me gag.

I cannot touch an oyster either, not a texture thing, I get an instant severe overwhelming allergic reaction.

Other than that, I'm fairly open to trying different eats.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Catfish and shad. They both taste like mud to me. And shad have s-o-o-o-o many bones.

Yeah, I know lots of folks like catfish.... Not me.
    Haven't had shad, but Love catfish if cleaned and prepped right (like Mom made.)

Wrangler
    Member #
    I ate some snake in survival school, but I don't make a habit of it. One of the guys caught a rat, threw it in the fire and when the hair was burnt off of it he called it good. Didn't even gut it first. I mostly don't eat stuff with paws except squirrels and rabbits, but I would if I had to. I don't eat brains or intestines or lungs but I like liver and ate deer heart. My dad drove a truck and brought home all kinds of stuff from all over. You ate it or wore it. Your choice. After that he was a cop, brought home a deer once. Told my brother and I to butcher it and don't come in till it's done. Well we got hungry so... It was pretty good. But fish has to be cooked. I don't eat raw fish. Just what are these people trying to make you eat? I don't care for slimey food like zuchini. Unless it's battered and fried, drives the moisture out. But I'll eat most things. But don't serve me any bugs. I'll shoot your cat and eat that first. There's an exception to my no paws rule.
    Steve
    Last edited by Adirondak.35; 04-23-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    Yooper, alawrence, cajun56 and 3 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lobster and crab, I like the taste but when I sit down to eat I don't want to have to work for it.

Javelina was good, slow cooked Hawaiian style in the ground.

Would like to try turtle but back to the lobster and crab thing.

Armadillo and possum are waaaaay down at the bottom or maybe at the top, either way I'll leave them for the buzzards!
    Teufelshunde !

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have been exposed to a variety of critters and or parts including some strange stuff in SE Asia. The only thing that comes to mind that I have a strong aversion to is beef tongue. I have never eaten bats, but guess I would draw the line there too.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

A Ghost Ring brings everything into perspective.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Armadillo! As mention above leprosy! I used to catch the baby's and sell them to the company doing the research for a cure!

Still have my nose and fingers!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links