Squirrel For Supper - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Squirrel For Supper

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey DRSLYR - I can answer for Bango Skank because from an earlier post of his it's clear he lives in Washington. Washington does not have a season on tree squirrels, and I think the only tree squirrel they have there in any numbers is the pine squirrel (also called, at least in the Pacific Northwest, the Douglas squirrel or the Chickaree). Like you in Missouri, I have both grays and foxes here in Ohio, and shoot them both. Where I live there are no pine squirrels, but I see them regularly in the higher elevations of West Virginia while I'm trout fishing. As a matter of fact, where I trout fish in the WV mountains, ALL I see are pineys - never a fox or a gray. There are lots of foxes and grays in WV, but at lower elevations. I would love to live in Washington. I would miss my squirrel hunting. If I DID live there, and Washington opened a season and all there was to hunt were pine squirrels, I'd pass. They are even smaller than a gray, after all.
    DRSLYR likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    Hey DRSLYR - I can answer for Bango Skank because from an earlier post of his it's clear he lives in Washington. Washington does not have a season on tree squirrels, and I think the only tree squirrel they have there in any numbers is the pine squirrel (also called, at least in the Pacific Northwest, the Douglas squirrel or the Chickaree). Like you in Missouri, I have both grays and foxes here in Ohio, and shoot them both. Where I live there are no pine squirrels, but I see them regularly in the higher elevations of West Virginia while I'm trout fishing. As a matter of fact, where I trout fish in the WV mountains, ALL I see are pineys - never a fox or a gray. There are lots of foxes and grays in WV, but at lower elevations. I would love to live in Washington. I would miss my squirrel hunting. If I DID live there, and Washington opened a season and all there was to hunt were pine squirrels, I'd pass. They are even smaller than a gray, after all.
    Western washington puget sound area has grey squirrels. The common suburban type, the eastern grey squirrel, is non native and can be hunted. Theyre also the biggest tree squirrels in the state. I live in the northeast part of the state, lots of red squirrels here. Obnoxious little *******s. "Oh hey, youre in a tree stand? Cool, im going to get in the next tree over and scream at you non stop for 2 hours"

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSLYR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bango Skank View Post
    Were not even allowed to kill tree squirrels here, and the ones we have are little suckers anyway. Biggest "squirrel" we have are ground squirrels, and we are allowed to kill them. Never heard of anybody eating them though.
    WOW!! Where do you live? We have fox and gray squirrels here in Missouri. I've been hunting them since I was 9 years old.

DRSLYR
    Washington. We do have OTC whitetail, blacktail, mule deer, rocky mtn elk, roosevelt elk, black bear, cougar, bobcat, coyote, turkey etc etc, so theres plenty of types of critters to hunt. Unfortunately the states game management is absolutely atrocious. Ungulates are all doing terribly, but predators are through the roof. Honestly id say our black bear hunting is fantastic, if thats your thing. No baiting or hounds, so were crawling with bears, so if you like spot and stalk or calling black bears, its a fantastic state to hunt. Aug 1st - nov 15th statewide, 2 bear limit. Plus special permit spring hunts that a guy can draw every 3-5 years. Its the only thing id recommend an out of state hunter to travel to washington for. Its really the best thing we got going. They got a bit more meat than a squirrel too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Heck yea, squirrel for dinner, hard to beat!

NRA Life/Endowment
    1968 336
    1972 Texan
    God bless our troops! Thanks to all that serve or have served!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks for the info guys. I love squirrel hunting.

DRSLYR

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bango Skank View Post
    Western washington puget sound area has grey squirrels. The common suburban type, the eastern grey squirrel, is non native and can be hunted. Theyre also the biggest tree squirrels in the state. I live in the northeast part of the state, lots of red squirrels here. Obnoxious little *******s. "Oh hey, youre in a tree stand? Cool, im going to get in the next tree over and scream at you non stop for 2 hours"
    Hey Bango - thanks for the further clarification. I knew gray squirrels were not native to Washington, but didn't know you had some anyway as an invasive species, so to speak. The grays are a game animal to me, but I know how you feel about the pine squirrels (same way I do). They are bothersome rascals!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links