Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Homemade bacon. Who does this?

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Yes interested !
    alawrence likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I've been wanting to do this for a very long time. Very interested to see how this goes.
    alawrence likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I smoked the bacon with apple wood for 2 hours this evening. I then sliced it as thin as I could with my chefs knife, but that was still a bit thicker than thick cut commercial bacon.
    After several minutes of frying and letting the bacon cool, my wife and oldest kid tried it. The wife thought it a little too salty, but liked the flavor. The daughter loved it and thought the saltyness was just fine.
    I liked the flavor, but thought it was also on the salty side. I could not taste the bay leaves and the pepper seasoning was just right.
    If I was to do this again and I certainly will, I will decrease the salt by at least a third and skip the bay leaves all together.
    Here are a couple of photos of the finished bacon slab.
    IMG_0415.JPG IMG_0416.JPG
    Now to get an actual meat slicer tomorrow.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I came down to my last pound, of my first home cured bacon. So, I went and cured another 10 pounds.
    I used a slightly different recipe that called for a cup of brown sugar, pepper, salt and ground bay leafs. I only used a quarter of the amount of salt it called for. I also smoked it with maple wood instead of apple wood.
    It was really a much different flavor than the first attempt. This bacon is sweeter and much less salty with a bit of a stronger smoke flavor.
    If you all have not tried to make your own bacon, you are missing out.
    IMG_0469.JPG
    Andrew

Contributing Member
    Member #
    It's been six weeks since I made the bacon in the previous post. I defrosted a pound last night and cooked it up in a cast iron skillet.
    I then cooked up a pound of premium commercial bacon, to use in a few recipes.
    If anyone does not try to make their own bacon, you are seriously missing out. The flavor of the homemade bacon, far exceeds that of any premium brand bacon. The commercial bacon is much saltier and that just limits any of the apple wood smoke flavoring it is suppose to have.
    I smoked this last batch of bacon with maple wood chips. This, along with the pepper and ground bay leafs are what stands out for flavoring with just a bit of sweetness from the brown sugar.
    In the below photo, the commercial bacon is on the left and my bacon is on the right. The dark edges of my bacon is not burn marks, but it is the carmalization of the brown sugar.
    Give it a try, folks! You will be happy you did.
    Andrew
    IMG_0320.JPG

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I make my own beef jerky. Usually I buy bacon made by a local farm. You have me wanting to try some of my own.
    alawrence likes this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Would please post your step x step recipe? I'm anxious to try it myself. Looks delicious!!
    alawrence likes this.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Just did a slab. Used Mortons cure, covered both sides with brown sugar, put it in the refrigerator on a grate for 7 days. Then I washed it three times in warm water, changing the water each time. Then soaked it for 30 minutes in clean warm water. Next step was put back in the refrigerator for 3 days to drip and dry. Fired up the smoker to 160 and hung the bacon for 3 hours.
    Next I put back in refrigerator to firm up and started slicing. Only cut my signal finger one time, but the bacon came out great.
    alawrence, turbobug and NewtoSkeet like this.
    It Ain't Over till It,s Over !

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Anyone need a taster? I am available on any day with a Y in it.
    alawrence, NewtoSkeet and kah64 like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Would please post your step x step recipe? I'm anxious to try it myself. Looks delicious!!
    Here ya go Kaboomer!
    You need a 9-10 pound skinless pork belly. Make sure it is free of excess fat layers over the actual muscle. I look to see if it is 1/4" or less. If it isn't, then trim it down to less than 1/4". I dislike paying for excess fat that I am not going to use.
    Rub:
    1 1/2 teaspoons pink curing salt (sodium nitrate).
    1 tablespoon sea salt (or to your taste)
    2 tablespoons fresh coarsly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons ground bay leaf
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    Mix these items and rub into the pork belly on all surfaces.
    You can try mixing up different spices, but this gives me the flavor I like without hiding the actual taste of the meat
    I cut my pork belly in half and use covered 13X9 glass pans to store it in during the curing process.

Curing process:
    After applying the rub, Place the pork belly into the glass pan, cover and refridgerate for 72 hours.
    After 72 hours, turn the belly over and refridgerate 48 hours.
    Repeat the 48 hour turns three times. Your curing time is 9 days total.
    There will be a buildup of fluid in the bottom of the pan. Leave it there, you do not need to drain it.

Smoking process:
    Remove meat from glass pan, rinse lightly under cold water. You want to remove the curing salt, but not all of the tasty seasoning.
    Leave the belly wet and smoke at 175F for 3 hours or longer depending on taste. Be careful not to cook it through. You just want to impart smoke flavor.
    I like apple wood the best, but maple is also tasty.

Cutting the bacon:
    I cut the slabs of smoked belly into a square that fits neatly into a 1 quart zip lock freezer bag, removing the air and sealing tight, before freezing.
    When slicing, I found that it's easier to slice when the meat is still very cold, but not frozen. I tried a food slicer but it just made a mess of the belly. A good, sharp butcher knife is better.

I hope this helps.
    Andrew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links