Instant Pot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Instant Pot

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Instant Pot

I am now the proud owner of an “Instant Pot” multicooker that I have no idea what to do with. Apparently these things have steadily become more and more popular over the years. They can brown food, slow cook (crock pot), pressure cook... you name it. It’s a rice cooker, egg poacher, yogurt maker...

So, mine is still unopened in tne box. Not sure if I want it or not. If anyone here has one, I’m interested to hear about it.
    Mark Risch likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    So! Can you catch FM on it?

Mom would just look at it and throw it in the attic! Too many buttons for her.

ca'jun56
    Quick Karl and ditto1958 like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I'm not familiar with that, but I use my crock pot a lot.

Several years ago, we got my dad a Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker -- it shuts itself off and goes into 'warming' mode automatically, which is a great safety feature! As my dad got older, I would worry that he would take after his father and forget he had something on the stove -- not good with a conventional pressure cooker!
    He loved it! Used it so much that it died after 5 years or so. He bought himself another one.

So if you do any pressure cooking, or slow cooking, I say give the thing a try!
    cajun56, 256WinMag and miket156 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Some recipes people cook in them are horrible like anything with breads and such. But the pressure cooker part is awesome!
    cajun56 likes this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Wrangler
    Member #
    Insta Pot! So easy the regular guy can cook! I love mine, simple to brown roasts then quickly cook adding water or broth, veggies, set it and forget it. Less than an hour later...voila...this non cok just made a perfectly cooked roast!

Im actually going to be using it tomorrow to cook Carnitas! Wife’s going to work tomorrow so I’ll brown the pork shoulder with a tablespoon of canola on the bottom. Then add my Mexican seasonings and an hour or just slightly more...voila...deliciousness in a corn tortilla. While it’s cooking I cut/prep my yellow onions, make my guacamole and chopped cilantro.

We started wi5h the smaller instant pots a couple years ago that had that horrible coated pot that...always failed and peeled.

Just before Christmas (they were on sale everywhere) I got us the biggest one the store had with the stainless pot! Man...love the stainless pot.

I also picked up an air fryer (for making oilless fried chicken wings when we started our diet after Christmas) and the XL turkey oil fryer just before Thanksgiving and fried up three turkeys and two chickens with it and they were...delicious.
    "Semper Fi Mac!"

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I guess I am tempted to try it. I think I’m going to look for recipes online and see what I can come up with. Or, maybe just do a pot roast and see how it turns out.
    miket156 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    A friend and his wife have one and like it. Their lifestyle requires its advantages.

My mother never needed one and fed six family members every day for almost thirty years. We don't at our house either. My wife and I were taught to plan ahead so we take the roast out of the freezer at night, put it in the crockpot in the morning, and eat it for dinner.

Hard to believe we went from cavemen and women to the 21st century without them. Must have been shear luck.
    F150Grrl and miket156 like this.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    BFPGW, there are old tv commercials on YouTube from the 50’s pushing pressure cookers as godsends for housewives. I’m not sure why it was so important for stay at home moms to be able to cook a pot roast in 30 minutes when women had all day to get dinner ready. Watch those ads, though, and you will wonder how anyone survived without a pressure cooker.
    NRA Life Member

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
    ... I’m not sure why it was so important for stay at home moms to be able to cook a pot roast in 30 minutes when women had all day to get dinner ready. Watch those ads, though, and you will wonder how anyone survived without a pressure cooker.
    If I can reduce my 'kitchen time', I'll have more time to scrub the floors, wash/iron/fold the laundry, change diapers, ....

I see the benefits for a '50s stay-at-home person.
    I looked it up, and the first 'countertop' microwave ovens came out in 1967: Amana Radarange.
    So the pressure cooker was 'new' technology (in a way).

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
    BFPGW, there are old tv commercials on YouTube from the 50’s pushing pressure cookers as godsends for housewives. I’m not sure why it was so important for stay at home moms to be able to cook a pot roast in 30 minutes when women had all day to get dinner ready. Watch those ads, though, and you will wonder how anyone survived without a pressure cooker.
    Mom had a pressure cooker. It came and went like fad items do since then. I think she had it in the basement for many years after I left home. Used once in a blue moon when the only way to cook something was in a pressure cooker. For the life of me I can't remember what that was. I do remember as a kid seeing it on the counter and being warned to stay 500' away from it. LOL. Not an item that stayed handy for constant use. My wife has one too. I moved it again last weekend when I was reorganizing the basement. A couple fad items got carried to my truck bed when she wasn't looking. Doubt she will ever notice they are gone.

Mom's cast iron collection came home with me last summer. Not because she was done using them. She is too old and weak to lift the darn things. Those stay steps away from the stove at our house. A gas stove. I get asked to lift the big ones from the shelf to the stove on occasion. Our niece who at 16 couldn't cook a pizza roll in the microwave is 22 and cooking steaks on her apartment stove in a cast iron skillet for her big farm-kid boyfriend. Because the boyfriend's grandma does it that way. The niece asked my wife about it and we made sure two days later Amazon delivered her first cast iron skillet.

Cooking the old, slow way causes people to spend more time in the kitchen. Talking to each other, sharing in the task and reward, and maybe sipping a glass of wine together. Grandma said a little wine helped with your digestion. No one ever dared argue with her.

Its good that things like Insta Pots exist. People gotta have stuff that makes it easy for them to cook what they want, how they want. My upbringing makes me scoff at such things most of the time. But don't anyone let my opinion dissuade you from trying them.
    marlinluvr and JohnD13 like this.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links