• 1 Post By mrmike7189
  • 1 Post By airtool
  • 1 Post By Waffletop
  • 5 Post By Mush
  • 5 Post By Michi
  • 1 Post By mrmike7189
  • 3 Post By Michi
  • 3 Post By Rock185

Thread: Marlin Model 9 possible problems?

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Recently bought a Marlin Camp 9. Are there any problems with parts of any kind?
    I ordered the Wolff tuning spring 16.5 pounds and the blue Recoil Buffer.
    Are there any other issues I should know about?
    Thanks for the help greeting Michi

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Looks like it's in good shape, except for that debris inside the action . A good cleaning is needed or all that crap will jam up your action! besides buffers needing replacement every 5k rounds, only other issues are cracked wooden stocks. (Mostly only a problem for Camp 45's)
    roybean1894 likes this.
    Camp 9 Carbine
    Ruger Police Carbine 40S&W
    Ruger P944DAO
    Mini-14 223/5.56
    Glock26
    Bodyguard 380

Tinhorn
    Member #

Camp lessons learned from others are best!

First, be cautious with solvents around the polymer trigger guard/magwell assembly... avoid anything that'll soften or discolor plastic: Others have discovered that solvents damage the polymer, from "fogging" to "melting".

Then, there's good info in this: https://www.gun-tests.com/special_re...l#.XgpbJEdKheU

You'll see brass color marks on your charging handle, and possibly odd things with your fired brass. It'll likely oval the case mouth due to hitting the charging handle on ejection, and may "wrinkle" the case due to the short chamber. My experience is that Camp-fired brass is not gonna be a candidate for reloading should you be inclined to consider that.

The Hammer Strut Bridge has occasionally been an issue to Camp shooters, but spares availability is much improved over a few years ago. Consensus seems to be that Strut Bridge problems, and the stock cracks, are minimized by new/better buffers and recoil springs.

After all that, the Camp really is built pretty robustly and you should be able to shoot it a long time without issues if you look at it and keep it reasonably clean... it's inclined to be dirty...

Others may be along to offer more - Mush is a Camp guru of sorts.

cheers!
    'tool
    roybean1894 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Probably not a good idea to shoot +P ammo in it.
    roybean1894 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I agree with the posts as good info.

The Camp 9 and 45 are "Blow Back" designed actions. This means the bolt does not lock closed but is only held by spring pressure. The recoil is opposed by the recoil spring pressure/strength. The 10 pound factory recoil spring was used in both the 9 and 45. IMHO barely adequate in the 9 and weak for the 45 recoil. The 45 stock IMHO cracked more than the 9. IMHO the 16.5 pound Wolff spring works for both the 9 and 45 but if you are going to shoot +p ammo you need to use the 21 pound Wolff spring. Conversely if you are shooting subsonics you may need the 10 pound factory spring to cycle the bolt. YMMV. I do not know of anyone who did scientific tests to confirm spring recommendations so all else is opinion.

Also watch the (tiny) bolt hold open spring in the underside of the receiver. They bend easily. I have pulled out (gently) a bent spring and turned it around and got "double" life out of it. As long as it is not bent too bad.

I recommend you keep it clean after use. When the gunk gets hard after sitting for a while it takes a long time to clean up. IMHO, I recommend CLP/G96/wipe out/ Ballistol as solvents. NEVER Sweets 7.62 solvent. It will melt the plastic. Hoppies can get gummy over time.

I will admit to Mush: shade tree mechanic/ Camp Carbine enthusiast.....
    Last edited by Mush; 12-30-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Good Afternoon
    Sorry for the late reply.
    In other parts I am unsure because I do not know how often it was shot with the original broken buffer. Here are a few more pictures
    Ps: ammunition Geco 9 mm LUGER 124 gr FMJ is suitable?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Keep us posted. I love seeing the photos of people's works in progress
    Michi likes this.
    Camp 9 Carbine
    Ruger Police Carbine 40S&W
    Ruger P944DAO
    Mini-14 223/5.56
    Glock26
    Bodyguard 380

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Cleaned and hopefully assembled correctly ...
    But not yet tested whether everything works as it should ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thumbs up

I've owned 4 Camp 9s since they were introduced. I would not hesitate to use GECO ammo in any of my 9s, Marlin or otherwise..

FWIW, I routinely used the Wolff 21# recoil spring in my Camp 9s for many years. They still extracted and ejected even the mildest standard pressure factory ammo reliably. In my dotage, I only changed to the 16.5# recoil spring to make it easier to manually cycle the bolt. Interestingly I think, not only do the 9 and .45 versions use the same light factory recoil springs as Mush indicated, they both use the same weight bolt, 14ozs. Obviously doable with the 9MM, but one wonders about Marlin using the same light spring and bolt for the .45, given the .45's much greater recoil impulse. Anyway, enjoy your new camp 9. I sure enjoy the 9N version I still have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links