• 1 Post By pull the trigger
  • 1 Post By M700
  • 2 Post By Ret_Eng
  • 1 Post By Rickys2

Thread: 45 super in a camp 45

Wrangler
    Member #

45 super in a camp 45

Has anyone ran any 45 super in their camp 45. I'd think it'd be fine with the heavy recoil spring. Thoughts or experience? Thanks!!
    Merle1 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They split stocks bad enough with just 45ACP. I'd say there is a reason you don't see any with more power that that. I always wanted one, but if you find one they are way over priced, to me anyways. I wouldn't mess with it and just have fun.....you might tear something up.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Question

Thoughts: I have to wonder about shooting .45 Super in a Camp Carbine. Thing is, the bolts in both 9mm and .45 versions weigh the same, about 14 ounces IIRC. Not a very heavy bolt, and no breech locking mechanism. The heaviest recoil spring that I know of for the Camp, is the 21# Wolff spring. For years, I used the 21# spring in my 9mm version. Even the lightest 9mm ammo functioned flawlessly, and cases ejected reliably. Higher pressure 9mm ammo made the receiver kind of ring with every shot fired, with empty cases ejected even further. My point is, that even the warmest 9mm ammo does not generate the recoil impulse of standard .45 ACP. And, .45 super will generate ~30% more recoil impulse than standard .45 230 ball. Much as I enjoy ballistic experimentation, I would personally be hesitant to use .45 Super in the little straight blow back Camp Carbine. In a locked breech firearm with appropriate heavy recoil spring and buffer, OK. I don't know that there would be an immediate catastrophic failure, but the lightly built internals of the Camp Carbine, and the stock, would certainly take a beating they were not designed for....

Please let us know how it goes if you decide to use 45 Super ammo in the Camp.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Tom and Rock, your answers are very well explained, ya talked me out of it. This little guy cost toooo much money to potentially wreck it. Thanks again!!!
    NewtoSkeet likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    They split stocks bad enough with just 45ACP. I'd say there is a reason you don't see any with more power that that. I always wanted one, but if you find one they are way over priced, to me anyways. I wouldn't mess with it and just have fun.....you might tear something up.
    I was just about to bring that up. I liked those little carbines, but they had problems enough with standard 45 ACP ammo... My PD had them in our patrol cars in the early 1990's. A neat idea I thought, but we did have a lot of issues with them breaking and malfunctioning, using standard 45 ammo.

Awfully fun to shoot though!

Guy
    pull the trigger likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    A heavier Wolff spring and a modern buffer pad will fix the issues with shooting standard factory ammo. Did that for my Camp 9 and I can shoot it all day long with no problems. I would not try real hot ammo in the Camp carbine even with those mods...……...
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 06-16-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    pull the trigger and Rickys2 like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    A heavier Wolff spring and a modern buffer pad will fix the issues with shooting standard factory ammo. Did that for my Camp 9 and I can shoot it all day long with no problems. I would not try real hot ammo in the Camp carbine even with those mods...……...

same here, parts are getting harder to find.
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links