Marlin Camp Carbine Trigger job Warning

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin Camp Carbine Trigger job Warning

Maybe this has been covered before but I thought I would let people know.

A common but incorrect way of lightening up the trigger pull on guns with actions like Marlin Camp carbines is to cut a few coils off the hammer spring to reduce the engagement force between the hammer and sear. This is usually not a good thing to do because it can cause light primer strikes and misfires and can also make the hammer follow the bolt and cause doubling. Anyway I bought a used Camp 9 where somebody cut about 3/4" off the stock hammer spring to lighten the trigger (turns out was way too much of a good thing). The trigger pull on the gun when I got it was about 4 lb. The problem I had was whenever I shot hot 9 mm ammo the bolt would throw the hammer back so hard it would cause the hammer strut to pop out of the strut well in the hammer and jamb the hammer down well past the normal full cock position ( I have a 21 lb. recoil spring in mine and a new blackjack buffer too). The result was the trigger or hammer would not reset and the gun wouldn't fire even if the bolt was cycled. If this ever happens to you take the rifle down and look at the hammer in the trigger group. If its cocked past about 60 degrees thats your problem. If you look closely at the hammer near the pivot point you will see that the hammer strut is jammed at the bottom of the hammer. The solution is to put a proper length hammer spring in the gun and all will be well. The only problem is the trigger pull went up to about 7 lb but the gun function flawlessly now.

Cheers

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: Marlin Camp Carbine Trigger job Warning

yes to do a proper trigger job on a Camp gun is to bevel the sides of the sear/hammer group inwards to reduce the drag surface not cut any springs down.

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: Marlin Camp Carbine Trigger job Warning

How much do you bevel and how much does it reduce the trigger weight? Does this have any effect on bump fires if you wack the loaded rifle when the safety is off? I was able to polish the sear only to take out any roughness and that reduced pull to around 6 1/2 pounds.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links